What's everybody paying?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been talking to my loan officer at the credit union who knows nothing about electric cars. After riding in my neighbor's Leaf, which I car share with him, she was impressed enough to try to rent 'Who Killed the Electric Car." I have been looking at two i-miev's on line, one for $12,900 and the other for $11,900, before they applied any fees, both out of state so I'd need to pay transport and my state taxes. Only the $12,900 has the quick charge port. Since I Do need to drive several times a year about 175 miles on holiday to see family and Illinois has many Illinois DC quick chargers (plus this will be my only car) I am looking at models with quick charging.

After several discussions, her take was, wait, there should be more cars coming off there leases and either the prices should moderate closer to replacement costs (for insurance purposes) or I should look at another vehicle if I'm set on a pure electric. She didn't tell me, but what would the replacement cost be, if anyone knows? Does anyone here think the prices will moderate closer to replacement costs?

BenBrown said:
After several discussions, her take was, wait, there should be more cars coming off there leases and either the prices should moderate closer to replacement costs (for insurance purposes) or I should look at another vehicle if I'm set on a pure electric. She didn't tell me, but what would the replacement cost be, if anyone knows? Does anyone here think the prices will moderate closer to replacement costs?

What's replacement cost mean? Isn't that just the price of the used vehicles itself? I'm not sure what's supposed to be the difference between market prices and replacement costs for market prices to approach replacement costs...

new car costs are like $22k + sales tax - $7.5k federal tax credit - state tax credit ($5k or 20% max in GA), so that's like $11-$11.5k here and up to like $15k in a state with no tax credits, but I don't know if there are any more new units available. The used market looks like dealers are taking trade-ins at $8k-9k and trying to sell at $12k-$13k, so maybe you could find a private party transaction at $10k-$11k, but the fs/ft forum doesn't have much activity. Another option is maybe dealer auctions, which last I saw back in 2013, used 2012 i-mievs were selling anywhere from $12k to $15k, but I'm not sure what that market looks like now.

Back