What's everybody paying?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are receiving our first shipment of 2014 iMiEV's the first week of June! Base MSRP is $22,995 plus transportation of right around $800. The good news is that not only are they far better value than the 2012, but they have a laundry list of standard features available including but not limited to:

Aluminum wheels
Leather wrapped steering wheel
Leather wrapped shift knob
Passenger side vanity mirror with lid
Front Fog lights
Rear Door Speakers
Driver AND passenger heated seat
Charge port lamp.

Ordering time is about 5 months, but definitely worth the wait!

Morgan said:
We are receiving our first shipment of 2014 iMiEV's the first week of June! Base MSRP is $22,995 plus transportation of right around $800. The good news is that not only are they far better value than the 2012, but they have a laundry list of standard features available

I checked out the sticker on a 2012 iMiEV north of Toronto Ontario today with my son, as I was wondering if it made sense to have two EV's along with our gas car...

$34500! I was shocked to say the least. This dealer has had multiple iMiEV sitting outside for years, likely the same ones. Anyway, they have an EVSE out front, with a dedicated spot, so that's nice.

The sticker on my Smart ED was $26K, but I got $4K discount from the dealer, and with Ontario EV rebate plus taxes I got my EV for $19K all in.

If the 2014 iMiEV is $24K, and there's a discount by the dealers, it would beat the Smart ED price and be compelling.

$34,500. That's an SE Premium, top of line. Mine was an ES with four options and was $31,225. Mitsubishi knocked $6,000 off for me, so out the door with everything was just shy of $27,000.

The 2014's are between $22,995 and about $24,000. I guess they dropped the Nav system and consolidated to the ES trim, which is really the interior upgrades of the SE on the black interior, a passenger heated seat, and a charge port lamp. There's a few pictures of the new blue model in the thread '2014 i-MiEV test drive', which combined with the blacked out door frames, looks really sharp.

Morgan said:
Ordering time is about 5 months, but definitely worth the wait!
Morgan, if you're still monitoring this forum, this comment definitely bears some explaining. Why would it take 5 months to get an i-MiEV? After the 2012's dismal performance, due in no small part to the complete absence of any advertising by corporate, MMNA must understand most dealers won't be carrying inventory on these cars. Given that, their most effective strategy for meeting customer demand would be ship to order from holding areas at the ports and/or the plant in Normal IL, a much easier strategy to implement now that there is only one trim level and no factory options. If customers have to wait for orders to come in from Japan, these are not going to sell (again). Mitsubishi execs expressed concern last year at low i-MiEV sales - if they weren't just blowing smoke, why aren't they taking even minimal steps to make the car easier to buy?

People can't buy what you guys won't sell.

Just home with mine tonight. 2014 Blue with USB for 23k even, including delivery plus got the great Mitsu finance package. This one of only two in Arizona. Let's hope my battery doesn't bake too much.

Doogieca said:
Just home with mine tonight. 2014 Blue with USB for 23k even, including delivery plus got the great Mitsu finance package. This one of only two in Arizona. Let's hope my battery doesn't bake too much.
Congratulations!

If I lived in Arizona, I would make the reversible modifications (no warranty issues) that would result in some of the cooled air from the A/C being directed down into the battery compartment while driving, not just while Level 3 charging. I would then get CANion to monitor battery cell temperatures. When these temperatures exceed a certain level, I would engage my modified cooling system to direct cool air to the battery pack. I think this would minimize the degradation that is almost certain to occur in hot weather.

My i-MiEV doesn't have the Level 3 charging capability that makes this modification possible, so I have not done this to my i-MiEV (although, I doubt that my battery cell temperatures get too hot during short drives around Honolulu). If you have any questions about this modification, just ask in this forum for more information.

SmartElectricDrive said:
If the 2014 iMiEV is $24K, and there's a discount by the dealers, it would beat the Smart ED price and be compelling.
IMO, a 2014 iMiEV would be 'compelling' even if it cost $5K to $7.5K more than a Smart ED - You're talking apples and oranges when comparing a 4 seat car with a great deal of cargo capacity to what is basically an enclosed 2 seat golf cart

Don

Gotta love it when an i-MiEV enthusiast disparages another subcompact EV by calling it a 'golf cart'. ;)
Two more seats and actual cargo capacity are worth $5k in my book. The 83 mile range rating will pull in more newbies, EVen though the Smart is EVen less suitable for highway trips than an i-MiEV, given the cargo incapacity and buckboard-short wheelbase (36% shorter than an i!). HowEVer, with 10% more battery capacity, 12% more power, and 20% less mass than our i, it could be a very enjoyable commuter.

jray3 said:
Gotta love it when an i-MiEV enthusiast disparages another subcompact EV by calling it a 'golf cart'. ;)
Is that actually 'disparaging?' - The ground footprint of the two is nearly identical . . . . and I did say the Smart was 'enclosed' - Oh yeah . . . . it has A/C and heat too!

We went and looked at Smart cars when they first came out and to our minds, they're far from being 'real' cars - *If* a vehicle half the size of a Corolla got twice the mileage, you could make the argument that everything you're giving up was worth it, but when we looked, the Corrolas actually got better mileage than the Smart cars. I'm thinking their cuteness has garnered them a cult following of sorts, because they make very little sense

I personally would happily pay $7500 more for an iMiEV than an electric Smart - In actual fact, I paid even more than $7500 more and don't regret a nickel of it

Apples and Oranges . . . .

Don

Don said:
...You're talking apples and oranges when comparing a 4 seat car with a great deal of cargo capacity to what is basically an enclosed 2 seat golf cart.
Now, Don, you know how we bristle at our i-MiEV being called a golf cart (my golfing friends tell me the proper term is golf car, as an electric golf cart is the thing that carries the clubs). The SmartED is a fully-functional and surprisingly roomy for two people two-seater electric car and does not deserve to be categorized as golf anything... perhaps you've been in the South too long? :roll:

If I lived in San Francisco (and its parking problems) I would be tempted to get a SmartED simply because it's length (over 3' less than the iMiEV and an even tighter turning radius) allows it to fit into many more parking spots.

That said, as Don pointed out, the i-MiEV's four seats and especially it's cargo capacity offers far more value for the money IMO. In the same vein, many have said that the Leaf, with its five seats and larger battery pack, offers more 'perceived' value than the i-MiEV, even if one ignores its illusion of opulence.

We all have our preferences - it's just sad that the typical 'professional' car reviewer's mindset is so narrow that they can't grasp the functionality of our wonderful little i-MiEV, or most small cars, for that matter.

Back On Topic, it looks as though the 2014s are selling for pretty close to MSRP.

Don said:
SmartElectricDrive said:
IMO, a 2014 iMiEV would be 'compelling' even if it cost $5K to $7.5K more than a Smart ED

I paid $19,300 for my Smart ED all in. I don't need 4 seats, or cargo capacity, or long range for my commute, as I have a Mercedes SUV for family trips and such.

The iMiEV was almost the same price as a Leaf here in Canada. I like the iMiEV, it's just not compelling at the price they charge here compared to the fact Smart sells the ED model for the same cost here in Canada as they do in California. You can't say that about any other EV sold here for less than $45K. The Tesla and BMW i3 are reasonably close to the US price, but being premium cars are not obviously in the same league as our wonderful Smart and Mitsibishi cars...

As for comparison to iMiEV, the Smart ED has more battery, more powerful motor, panoramic roof and comes well equipped (heated seats, AC, power windows, keyless entry, the usual stuff). It's certainly the right car for me, but I can see the value in a 4 door EV, it's just that I didn't need that to get to work, the club or the other places I frequent.

To each their own. Cheers.

just bought a "new" 2012 that hadn't sold yet, se with premium package. paid $18,000, $19,920 out the door with all fees, taxes etc. full warranty starting day of purchase. in CA will get the $7,500 tax credit plus $2,500 from the state bringing total cost to $9,920. bought it cor my son but love it so have stolen it from him until school starts.

415 said:
just bought a "new" 2012 that hadn't sold yet, se with premium package. paid $18,000, $19,920 out the door with all fees, taxes etc. full warranty starting day of purchase. in CA will get the $7,500 tax credit plus $2,500 from the state bringing total cost to $9,920. bought it cor my son but love it so have stolen it from him until school starts.

Congrats, that may set the low mark! Just curious, was it white with the blue decals?

I paid 12,900 today for a 2012 iMiev ES with 1070 on the odometer.
They would not go down at all. I tried a lot- but I'm happy with the price.

Back