What's everybody paying?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I planned to buy another MiEV start of 2014 for the tax credit. Hopefully I can find a dealer wants to unload it.

Why would any one want just to lease a Fit EV is beyond me. $399, you can't buy out? So no tax credit.

Does anyone know why in CA the MiEV will get $2000 instead of $2500 like the others.

https://energycenter.org/index.php/incentive-programs/clean-vehicle-rebate-project/cvrp-eligible-vehicles

Thanks

As a person who had never leased before leasing the 2012 I-MiEV, I am really curious as to what will happen to the supply of I-Mievs that will come off lease early 2015. As has been noted, no one is stupid enough to pay the residual price for these cars. Not when the actual value of the cars will likely be under $18,000 even for the most highly equipped models and with relatively low mileage. Not even going out on a limb to say that the 2013 Nissan Leafs will be coming off of their 2 year leases around that time and they will push the I-MiEV out of the way. Is it typical for a manufacturer or bank(such as Ally) to take a look at the market and see what they'd get for the car from wholesalers and consider reducing the residual to sell the cars outright to the leasees? If the price was low enough(and I don't mean insultingly low...that's silly too...) an original "owner" might/should feel comfortable buying the car if the price is right. As much as I enjoy the "I", it has limitations and is likely to be overshadowed by improvements to the next generation of EV's, which I have to believe will be cheaper in comparison to today's. Of course, maybe that means that the prudent approach is to use the current 2012 I-MiEv as a sort of "breaking into EV" car, and learn from the experience what we like or don't like about EV's and look for models that come closest to our wishes.

Lou

gatedad11 said:
Is it typical for a manufacturer or bank(such as Ally) to take a look at the market and see what they'd get for the car from wholesalers and consider reducing the residual to sell the cars outright to the leasees? If the price was low enough(and I don't mean insultingly low...that's silly too...) an original "owner" might/should feel comfortable buying the car if the price is right.
I think you're ignoring an important point here - as a financial institution interested in generating profits, Ally would have to have done that estimation of residual value before writing the lease. Remember, they wrote a check to the dealer for the whole purchase price, so their end of the deal is the payments from you plus the tax credit (don't forget they get that) plus the sale of the vehicle at lease end. As it's obvious from a few numbers scratched on a napkin that your payments don't come anywhere near covering finance charges and any sane estimation of depreciation, we must figure that Ally has received either (a) an upfront payment from Mitsubishi in lieu of a rebate directly to the buyer (which is certainly the case with the 0% 48-mo. loan deal I took because it was the only free money on the table), or (b) a guaranteed re-purchase from Mitsubishi (or whomever) that backs up the residual value.

If it's (a), then sure, the residual price is just a joke, a price Ally's going to try to gouge you with if they can, but they'll gladly part with it for a lot less if that doesn't work out (though even then the odds are they'll just move it through their normal disposal channels - they're not really set up to negotiate with individual lessees, because that would undermine the whole business). The good news in that scenario is that the cars do wind up back on the market somehow or other, so somebody will get a decent deal out of it.

But if it's (b), the real decision will be made by the repurchase guarantor, because Ally has no incentive to settle for anything less than they've been promised. And what that party wants to do is anybody's guess; if it's Mitsubishi itself, I've already noted that I expect they'll have research uses for the cars that might outweigh their limited resale value. In that case, the cars disappear EV1 style (albeit more quietly, since customers who desperately want to keep their i-MiEV can easily do so by signing a check for a specific amount, so no weeping crowds milling around crushers).

It's that (b) scenario, plus vague concerns about how "excessive wear and tear" might be calculated (would it or would it not include battery degradation?) that turned me away from the lease deal. I want the car just as it is and I expect to drive it into the ground unless it becomes a collectible.

Thanks Vike, but I do understand the reality of the financing for Ally. In my case, the $7500 Federal Tax Rebate and $4500+ goes into that calculation. My lease deal was about $200/month for 24 months, some of that is taxes and such, but if I add back in my down payment(small), I am using $4500 as the amount I will have paid after 2 years. If we figure in the 2 sums, we end up with $12,000. The residual amount is about $24,000 or so, in my case. Adding in the $12,000 brings us to $36,000..which is more than the car listed for(and anyone who paid the MSRP is from another planet). In my case, I knew what I was doing, really didn't care about the residual figure since I pretty much intended to lease for 2 years only, and I could live with the monthly lease figure. But I have to admit that Ally would be making out like a bandit if they got someone to purchase at the residual figure and also collected the tax rebate and monthly lease payments. I think what I was saying is more along the lines of that it simply makes no sense for anyone to pay residual price, knowing that there will be a lot of EV's(Leafs and I's among them)that will HAVE to be sold for a much lower figure than the residuals. Having realized that, does Ally or Mitsubishi have plans to reconsider the purchase price at lease end? I realize that Ally may not have any incentive to do so if Mistubishi has agreements in place with them to soften the hit. Just curious more than anything else...

But again, thanks for your comments.

Lou

Agreed gatedad11, and while my residual is around $23K, I jumped on the $69/month $0 down lease offer. I will pay ~$1800 for the lease term, making my buy-out AND lease payments around $24,800. While that's a little high for a two-year-old car, if there aren't any other enticing EVs available in 2 years (Do you hear me Mitsubishi? Make the CA-MiEV!), then I will probably just lease another EV.

Add to that my short daily commute (18 miles round trip) and I'll likely have only around 10K miles on the car at the end of my lease. Even my 9-year-old Mazda 3, with two round trips to Tampa from Dallas and a round trip to Kansas City, had only 74K miles.

I paid 10k off MSRP for ES in California. This is the 10k from Mitsubishi. The contract says car is "NEW" so I assume I will be able to claim federal and CA rebates.

Sounds good. But to be more precise. What was the list? Also, is that before the 7,500 federal rebate and the California rebates?

As expected, my silver ES trade-in has been stickered at $16k.
http://www.auburnvalleymitsubishi.com/used-Tacoma-2012-Mitsubishi-iMiEV-Base-JA3215H13CU008945

Purchasing my brand new ocean blue 2012 I-miev tomorrow. I've been lurking on the forums for the last couple months and finally was able to work a great deal on one.
Standard Canadian 2012 i-miev (not a premium model - no nav). Sticker was $34,491 after freight and pdi. Minus a $5000 discount from mitsubishi, a $5000 rebate from the province of BC. That took it to $24,491. Then I had a grad rebate of $500 from Mitsubishi canada. And finally after much negotiating, my final price is $18,100 + doc ($498) + tax. All in all a great deal I think considering I could barely buy a basic Honda fit for that!

It looks like the I-miev has been discontinued in the US. No 2013's available. I was looking at the new mirage and I was told a new miev went for 14,000 at auction. One with 1000 miles went for about 12,000. I also found an on line calculator that said my car with 3000 miles was worth 9,500. From what I can see out there, I suspect they are not far off. The car has very poor value in the US. Canada may be different. With gas prices falling, that also puts pressure on electric. So, does this bode well for those of us with a lease who might want to buy the car. I read the stuff above about Ally and who owns the car. I have no idea what the arrangement actually is. I guess the only way I'll find out is to ask my dealer what I can buy the car for. My official residual is 24,000. Don't think I'd pay more than 10,000 tops. Any one have any thoughts or tried this?

Thanks for the update. That is interesting. Where was the auction that you refer to? Imagine buying one for $14-k and then getting the $7,500 tax credit to boot?

I believe one was in Pennsylvania. However, I don't have the details. I forgot about the rebate. I guess with the new car, you might be eligible. The ones that had some mileage were presumably lightly used and the original owner got the rebate already. In any event, my car is a year old. I'm going to see if my dealer is interested in selling. What do you think would be a fair price for a base LS with the quick charger. (I have yet to find a place I can use it. Even my dealer doesn't have one.)

Went to local dealer to try out two used 2012 I-Miev with premium package. One had been used by the dealer to ferry customers around and had more than 12000 km on it; the other was a recent trade-in with 5600 km. Both were fun to drive, but we liked the trade-in better. Dealer list price was 22,995 CAD and they would not go lower than 22K. When we said that we didn't actually want premium package, didn't want to pay more than 18K (after seeing post by Vancity from October 2013) and would wait for cheaper base model used cars to come on the market, the manager made a call and said he could get us a "new" white base model 2012 I-Miev from Regina for 20000 CAD, plus tax. It's "new" because it has never been registered, but has more than 1000 km on it, presumably dealer use. We went for it. The car will be shipped to BC and we'll take ownership in 1-2 weeks. Can't wait for it to arrive, and hope that sitting through two freezing winters won't have had a terribly negative effect on it.

Nice! That's exciting to have another i-miev around the lower mainland. Which dealer did you end up going through? At the time I bought metrotown mitsubishi was the only dealer that had an I-miev in stock (a used black premium model that I believe they still have). I went and test drove it to see if I liked the car, but was never interested in buying a used one. I bought mine from Victoria mitsubishi sight unseen, they had 7 in stock at the time but sold all of those within 3 weeks of me buying mine.

Yes, Metrotown. The dealer told me the same story about Victoria's overstock and huge sale, so it's good to know they weren't making it up. The black one is still there and was fun to drive, but the silver one seems like it's in better shape, at least cosmetically. The longer they sit, the lower the dealer will be willing to go on price, for people interested in the premium package.

Might be better for a new thread, but thought we might post used i-MiEV ads for reference (I have no relationship to the ad, please reveal any listings you are connected with).

Here's one posted 4/26/14 at the EV Trading Post, a good old site that is mostly for DIY EV converters.
(car is the berry color)

http://www.evtradinpost.com/item/1759

$ 16,900.00 Description 2012 I-MiEV SE with Cold Zone Package. 100% Electric, Zero emissions. Top trim level. Charger upgraded to Level 2 120/240 12 amp. Complete records including battery condition and all charging cycles. 5,500 miles at an average energy cost of 2.5 cents/mile. MSRP as equipped in 2012 $32,515. - See more at: http://www.evtradinpost.com/item/1759#sthash.h3yylPRH.dpuf

Back