Transmission, 7", 42 lbs, Gear Ratio=7.065

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quixotix said:
There isn't a gear lever linkage, in the traditional sense, since there are no gears to shift.

Even so, Mitsubishi themselves call it a gear shift.

8136043_orig.png

quixotix and archie_b, thanks for doing the legwork, as I had been wondering if there were some microswitches hidden under the "gearshift lever" panel which transmitted the lever position. Must say, this is a fairly clean lever position sensing implementation, even if it's using an archaic cable system.

WeeJohn, thanks for posting the graphics. When will some manufacturer NOT try to make the EV look, act, and feel like a "conventional" car? For example, Nissan blew it IMO when they took their nice control lever and have you pull it backwards to go forward (and vice-versa).

I'll probably be the first to wear out my iMiEV's shift lever detents as I'm constantly moving it from "N" through "B" while driving.

JoeS said:
I'll probably be the first to wear out my iMiEV's shift lever detents as I'm constantly moving it from "N" through "B" while driving.

I thought I was the only one to shift from N to B constantly, they really did design that gear shift gate well for us shifters.

I forgot to put my :D for the above quixotix quote. :oops:

Wee.

JoeS said:
wondering if there were some microswitches hidden under the "gearshift lever" panel which transmitted the lever position.
No microswitches hidden under the "gearshift lever" panel.

In the photo that Quixotix posted the Shifter Encoder is in a black plastic box. The "gearshift lever" cable turns a shaft on the Transmission that goes through a black box with a electrical multi-pin connector with bright red dot on it. The color Transmission drawing I posted has a darker grey plastic electric connector pointing up.

The black plastic box is the "shifter" encoder with contacts for each of the P,N,D,Eco,B, (C) positions. Shifting into Park pulls the shifter rocker arm which pulls the lower pawl rod that (eventually) engages the parking pawl.

Quixotix,
Do you have a photo that shows the bottom of the shifter rocker arm with the lower pawl rod? In you posted photo a black horizontal bar is blocking the view of the lower half of the shifter rocker arm.

Wee John said:
Isn't that connector for the gear lever linkage, it looks like the linkage goes right through the center of the electrical connector.
You got it right. "The linkage goes right through the center of [the shifter encoder with an] electrical connector." Good Job!

http://www.caranddriver.com/photos-10q1/335484/mitsubishi-i-miev-transmission-photo-335602
The above is a photo of the first generation iMiev transmission. Click ZOOM to get HD.

On the right, the Shifter Encoder has a short electric cable with a connector.

Looking carefully we notice the the left and right "Encoder with a cable and connector" are the same. Same encoder, same cable and same connector (MU802645). They are rotated 180° from each other.

Why two encoders? It looks like 20 wires in those two connectors. Why?

Actually there are 14 wires used in the 20 positions. A wiper and 6 positions (P, R, N, D, Eco, B) in the two "gangs." The two encoders are connected TOGETHER. The contacts are NOT PARALLELED. They are connected by a triple ended cable (a cable with three connectors). Two connectors for the encoders and the third connector goes to the EV-ECU (C-110, MU803782).

MY GUESS:
The wiper of each switch has a different signal that gets routed differently. Maybe the "combination meter" need a "low" to lite the dash board indicators, but the EV-ECU needs a PWM or AC type signal to control the P, R, N, D, Eco, and B positions.

FiddlerJohn said:
http://www.caranddriver.com/photos-10q1/335484/mitsubishi-i-miev-transmission-photo-335602
The above is a photo of the first generation iMiev transmission.

Why two encoders? It looks like 20 wires in those two connectors. Why?

My car is different from the Car & Driver photo. I think there is only one encoder.

Do you have a photo that shows the bottom of the shifter rocker arm with the lower pawl rod?

No, but I will try and get one (probably tomorrow). However, I did notice that the shifter rocker arm had a a lower unused end. It may be a leftover from the first generation setup shown in the Car & Driver photo. Mine does not have a control rod like the one in that photo. Might they have moved the pawl rod inside the transmission? In the cutaway drawing there is what looks like it could be such a rod just above the purple and green gears.

Quixotix said:
Here is a better picture of left side of the transmission.
Great photo. Thank you. This means that the USA i has only one encoder, and the EV-ECU is providing the transmission mode distribution (to the "Combination Meter" et. al.). Sweet.

Back