New charging cable

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May sound crazy but isn't this a built in quick charger ?

I mean a 30 mile tow would get you 30 miles closer to your destination and fill the battery at the same time.

With a good tow bar on the front it would be safe (from a towing aspect).

I know it's not in the owners manual but I wondered if someone did it yet.

Don......

On the one hand you cannot tow an i-MiEV, says the manual - flatbed.

On the other hand, how does the i-MiEV know the difference between towing and rolling down a hill? Ours has not got GPS :mrgreen:

Rolling down very often I have discovered:

Putting your feet on the dashboard your i-MiEV might drive along some 17 kilometers per hour (10 miles). Climbing up a hill it might get a lot slower or even stop. Downhill not much above 17 it might get most regen. I have seen it climbing up to 40 kilometer per hour (25 miles) down a steep hill. Driving some 60 kilometers per hour (40 miles) might even get the needle from blue to green, feet on the throttle again.

My feeling says 25 miles per hour is enough, dont tow faster. And keep your feet on the dashboard. There is no need for breaking, regen already does that for you.

Seriously, dont put your feet on the dashboard while driving :roll:

Cheers
Peter and Karin

DonDakin said:
May sound crazy but isn't this a built in quick charger ?

I mean a 30 mile tow would get you 30 miles closer to your destination and fill the battery at the same time.

With a good tow bar on the front it would be safe (from a towing aspect).

I know it's not in the owners manual but I wondered if someone did it yet.
peterdambier said:
On the one hand you cannot tow an i-MiEV, says the manual - flatbed.

On the other hand, how does the i-MiEV know the difference between towing and rolling down a hill?
I don't see why towing the i-MiEV in the B driving mode would not work to charge the battery. (Despite all those warnings in the owner's manual.)

Check out this Dutch video. (Warning: The video is R rated, but very entertaining.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sujv90PLLY

If you used a tow bar and rode in the towing vehicle it would be perfectly legal.

RobertC said:
If you used a tow bar and rode in the towing vehicle it would be perfectly legal.
Actually, it's illegal to ride in any vehicle being towed

"Just when you thought you'd seen it all. Along comes something new.

In the case of Tabor v. Bridge the occupants of a vehicle being towed sued the driver and owner of the tow truck on the basis that they'd suffered injuries as a result of "negligent towing" (my term).

Here's the story. The members of the Tabor family were riding in their Ford Explorer. Which was being towed at the time. The tow truck driver who was towing their SUV allowed them to do so despite the fact that that there's a legal prohibition against riding in a vehicle which is being towed ( Section 7.07(6) of the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations).

While enroute the tow truck's dolly system broke. This caused the Tabor's Ford Explorer to sway back and forth. And they claimed to suffered injury as a result.

At trial Mr. Justice Cohen found the Tabors to have contributed towards their injuries (the legal term is contributory negligence) by a margin of 25%. And as a result he reduced their award for compensation by this percentage.

So, what's the moral of the story ? Don't ride in a vehicle that's being towed.

Reminds me of the Duck Dynasty episode where the cops pulled them over because Si Robertson was riding in an ATV on a trailer behind their motor home - The occupants had . . . . created too much 'gas' so Uncle Si retreated to the SUV, only to be lectured by the officer that it wasn't legal to ride there

Don

So how's about this.

Install a tow bar

Ride in the car doing the towing (the one in front .....)

select a drive mode for the imiev depending on tow speed.

Use canion to monitor everything safely and legally from the tow vehicle.

Don.......

85 degrees with blue skies here today . . . . but then that's usually the case the day before a storm

We lost our house and nearly everything else to Katrina's storm surge, but we live several miles further inland now

Don

Back