Pretty bad transmission stuttering issue/sticking shifter.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clovi

I hope someone has some answers on this topic. I saw this topic previously, but I decided to open a new topic, as the problem became more serious.
Although my commute is flat and fast, I have to deal with some traffic lights, stops, and of course parking. These basic moments while driving have started to bother me significantly .
I have noticed my car's transmission stuttering problem since the beginning. At first, my dealership told me that it was normal for cars with quick charging :?: :?: As it didn't bother me much, I left it alone. After changing the battery under warranty when my car had 93K miles, the problem increased.
I asked the dealership to check and try to solve the problem. The answer at first was that the new battery had something to do with it :?: :?: :?: To resolve the problem, the dealership contacted Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi told the dealership that to solve the problem, I should change the car's MCU! !!! :?: :?: :?: :?: That was last year.
The problem is worse. The only person capable of driving my car is me. My wife doesn't even want to think about it :D
I took the car to a mechanic friend. He told me the problem isn't the soft motor mounts. Belongs to the gears inside the transmission.
To make it worse , now I need to deal with the sticking shifter.
Does anyone have the same problems increasing considerably?
I have my IMIEV for the past 11 years. I really want to keep it. It has been extremely reliable and cheap to maintain.

Cheers,

Both of my cars are having trouble shifting but otherwise drive smooth. I’m hoping to have one put on a lift in the next month to dig deeper into the shifter cable.

Whereabouts are you located?

PV1 said:
Both of my cars are having trouble shifting but otherwise drive smooth. I’m hoping to have one put on a lift in the next month to dig deeper into the shifter cable.

Whereabouts are you located?

Thanks for the reply.
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.
I'm in Leesburg, VA, 40 NW of Washington DC.

clovi said:
I took the car to a mechanic friend. He told me the problem isn't the soft motor mounts. Belongs to the gears inside the transmission.

Sorry to hear about your troubles

I think your friend is right, it appears to be a transmission problem, the gear reducer is bolted to the MCU hence the suggestion from Mitsu to replace the lot.

First quick fix I would try is to replace the transmission oil as I doubt this was ever done by the dealership given their utter lack of knowledge regarding this issue. See DIY video below.

https://youtu.be/NW6liZWTBgo?si=vLinojXVud01a4f7

Mickey

Hi clovi

"I have noticed my car's transmission stuttering problem since the beginning"

Not sure what you mean by that ?

There should be error codes that can be read by the dealer that should pin-point the problem.

"I need to deal with the sticking shifter"

The shifter cable rotates a shaft that enters the gearbox.

The external part of that gets dirty and corroded and can become difficult to rotate.

Spray lub that and any obvious dry parts of the cable where it is attached at the rear.

At the same time the gear selection indexing can be adjusted if incorrect.

Back