Canion

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Xavier/priusfan,

In another thread about measuring battery capacity (capacity loss) there are comments that the data may also send by CANbus

siai47 said:
According to the chart on page 54D-634 in the service manual, the BMU outputs the current AH capacity of the battery at full charge, the residual AH capacity of the battery (I assume minimum charge), and the highest and lowest internal resistance of any one cell in the pack. That information must be going to the CAN buss so the MUT-III can read it for diagnostic purposes----or to calculate the battery AH capacity at your "annual checkup"...

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16350#p16350

Can you take a look and consider it for future versions of CANion?

Merci d'avance ;)

can someone pls reply if OBDLink MX WiFi Scan Tool will be compatible with CanIon app?

I'm thinking of ordering one if it is going to be more reliable than the BT version of OBDLink.

Bonjour,

About wifi module, the answer is: NO

It was a pita to develop something working using BT.

I do not have a wifi dongle for testing, and I do not feel like buying one and spending hours to get it working...

I am also a bit afraid about the behaviour for wifi with android when you meet other networks...

Xavier

ps: if somebody offers me one, I could (maybe) try....

Merci Xavier

have you found that the scan tools dongle is not as stable as the Batman dongle?

I was thinking that the Wifi might be better since it seems to have a greater bandwidth than BT.

I've noticed this from connecting my tablet to an iPhone via BT vs Wifi.

I use the OBDLink MX and the Nexus 7 (2012) without any problems. I do nothing else with the tablet - only caniOn.

Have a look to fps in the right lower corner. Is the value stable (+/-30)? If not, the android device is not fast enough.

If you use hugh values in the history panels, be aware the panel is refreshed every second. So if you use f.e. 24h it takes a couple of seconds to display the values not connected with the car, but it works. But if connected with the car the same setting will freeze the app, because the android device is not fast enough to refresh 24h values every second.

Martin

Hi Martin

thanks for the info.

I too have Nexus 7 1st gen. Wifi only.

the app doesn't freeze, it is the dongle that seems to freeze.
The Batman dongle doesn't do this.

This happens on my friend's MX dongle as well.

Joseph.

Hmm ... is it possible, that the dongles are defect? Please ask scantool.net for support.

Btw. my btcan.db is 232MB now, i has recorded 24.220km in table ODOLOG, more then 500 hours in table SECLOG (1.800.533 records) and more then 431 hours with Cell-Voltages and Cell-Temps in table CELL_VOLTS & CELL_TEMPS (25.891 records).

Since the very beginning with OBDLink MX & Asus Nexus 7.

Please try with a fresh database by renaming \sdcard\BT_CAN\btcan.db. Maybe data are corrupt.

Martin

I recently DC quick charged four times in four hours.
I charged each time to about 80%, and the AC ran to cool the battery for most of the quick charge.
The outside temperature was around 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
Here's my battery temperature readings.

Right before I left, after Level 2 charging to 100%. Cell 64 high as usual.
YbRPyNe.png

After the fourth and final DC quick charge to 80%. Quite a difference from high to low.
It would be interesting to know where in the pack the highest temperature cells were.
UL7zDKB.png

Back home after 190.6 miles in 6 hours.
It looks like there was heat transfer to the lower temperature cells.
hAp4IA0.png

Thank you, RobertC.

That is awful. That temperatures (43º C :shock:) are killing cells.

The numbers 1 to 66 are not the cells, are the heat sensors. I think they are located in these way (heat sensors are the yellow circles:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mlswv2z6z5uo907/Ultimate%20Malm.jpg

You should get some cold to your batteries, I now some here in this forum that do it.

Sensor 64 is located very close to one tube that goes from behind to the front of the car, above the battery box. The tube, in this particularly point, comes very close to the battery box. That tube is for charger refrigeration.

i'm cooking my batt
http://forums.aeva.asn.au/imiev-measured-data_topic3870_post50255.html?KW=toasty#50255

do you leave your dongle in all the time Malm?

Malm said:
The numbers 1 to 66 are not the cells, are the heat sensors.
Thanks Malm.
Yes, you are correct. There are 88 cells and 66 temperature sensors. I should have said temperature sensor instead of cell.
Your drawing is excellent, and shows that the temperature sensors in the middle of the two groups of 40 cells are the highest.

g4qber said:
i'm cooking my batt
http://forums.aeva.asn.au/imiev-measured-data_topic3870_post50255.html?KW=toasty#50255

do you leave your dongle in all the time Malm?

Yes, all time. Is there since 7 of march, without any problem. I simply don´t touch it. With samsung Note 3, rarely stops, can be without stopping for days. When the phone detect a wifi network where it connect, then canion stops. Just have to disable wifi, I think.

So, Australia, going at high speed. Don't you see one bar going away when it stays for two hours with middle charge ????? With that mileage, climate, and age, I think that's impossible to escape to 10% degradation, at least. Mine behave has 20% of capacity gone, but maybe it isn't so bad has it behaves, maybe only 15% degradation (66.500 km, 3 years and one month, Portugal - 15º C medium temperature, hot summers).

I also have the temperature anomaly at sensor #64. I don't know what causes it but it is apparent during charging, not operation. When the car has been sitting (not on charge) all 66 sensors read the exact same temperature. I have given up worrying about it. As far as the temperature buildup after successive quick charges it concerned, this is directly related to the fact that the I-MiEV doesn't have a battery cooling system that is in use when the vehicle is operating. This is a terrible design fault. The batteries build up heat during charging and continue to build heat during discharging. Only the I-MiEV's with QC capability provide cooling during the QC cycle (this function doesn't work during L2 charging nor during driving). The batteries continue to build heat during operation and charges during the trip RobertC took with only the periods of actual QC charging providing any reduction of the temperature buildup via A/C operation. Please, if you have QC capability (or the cold weather option) look at my threads on battery cooling and how to make the system provide continuous A/C cooling to the battery pack. The pack will stay very cool and not reach the destructive temperatures that RobertC had in his pack. It will stay between 10 to 15 degrees centigrade below the outside air temperatures during operation.

Siai47. Great, great, great post. I confirm 100%. I would write exactly the same words.

I have no doubt what makes 64 heating. That´s the tube of the charger refrigeration that gets very close to the battery box, in a point very near the 64. No worry with that, cells with number 64 are not those who heat the most, because are external.

One thing I do, during a quick charge, I always do a second one, when one sensor is close or above 31º C. That will bring down temperatures, 2º C to 4º C.

Portugal, summer arriving, working hard to keep them bellow 25º C. Not easy but possible, some tricks are needed sometimes, Siai47 showed how to do that.

Happy to see someone telling the same as me. Doesn't happen often. That's not easy to feel alone in my thoughts. Maybe this time, finally, someone also sees many times one bar going away at middle SoC after a two hours stop ?????? - That is 5 to 10% degradation.

Bonjour
I just recieved another BT interface: the OBDLINK LX.

It works normally with Canion. My test was very short.... we will see later the stability

I was a bit doubtful because the default speed between the STNxxx and the BT module in this interface is 115kbps.

for canion, the dataflow is around 90kbps:
430 frames / sec
frame length : 20 bytes ( = 200bits)
430 * 200 = 86000 bps

Usually, I use 500kbps with the dongle from Andy.

Xavier

Mon cher Martin

1 Byte = 8 bits. regarding the content Yes.

But, with serial protocol, when you take count of start & stop bits, it is standard to calculate 10 bauds for a byte.

Xavier

OK, nobody freak out because it really only applies to people doing goofy things (I think). I had the CANION hooked up to the I-MiEV last night and was charging it with my homebuilt quick charger that connects through the Chademo connector. I noticed a couple of things of interest. The purpose was to look at temperature monitor #64 during charging. During the charge cycle the coolant system does not operate because the vehicle charger is not being operated. The temperature of #64 never rose to a high level like it does when using the vehicle charger. It stayed at or below the levels of the adjacent sensors and the temperatures reported were some of the lowest in the Pack. This was what I expected as I also run the pack cooling fan (no A/C) to distribute air in the battery and the airflow is maximum in the area of #64. However, it still surprises me that a coolant line outside the pack that is close (but not in contact) to the external housing can affect one and only one sensor to such an extent. It's almost like #64 is reading coolant temp, not a battery module temperature. The other strange thing I noticed was the current readings shown on my charger vs. the reported current by the CANION. My charger is capable of a little over 11 KW of DC input to the I-MiEV pack. This is around 31 amps at 360 volts. As there is only one current sensor in the pack, and the way the pack is wired, it should be reading the same as the current sensor on my charger. I found that as I varied the input current from the charger, at low currents, the CANION was reporting a slightly higher current level then the charger was supplying--in the range of something less then 2 amps. As I ramped up the charger, just under 20 amps the two readings were within a couple of tenths of an amp. Increasing the input even higher, the CANION stopped reading anything higher then around 22 amps even when the charger was showing 31 amps being supplied. So this is just an observation but I have a question. Has anybody ever looked at what the CANION is reporting for battery current during a Chademo charging session? If it is capable of 50 KW, then the current reported by the CANION should be in excess of 130 amps. Are people seeing these numbers?

siai47 said:
... but I have a question. Has anybody ever looked at what the CANION is reporting for battery current during a Chademo charging session? If it is capable of 50 KW, then the current reported by the CANION should be in excess of 130 amps. Are people seeing these numbers?

From RobertC:

wMkNfdz.png

Back