Canion

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use 2013 nexus 7 and scan tool gauge and I get freezing . its more stable if you just leave it on trip timer while its logging. to much movement to other screens while logging and it freezes. 80% of the time it logs fine when kept on trip timer screen but I still do get the odd random freeze, If I want to look at other screen I do it once I have stopped and disconnected from the Bluetooth scanner.

I don't mind but its just annoying when your trying to log a complete trip say 100km over 1.5hrs and the system freezes at 1hr and 40 min so your trip timer logging starts again from zero

Again its a great app I love it. It would be perfect if it just didn't freeze :D

Kurt

I am trying to get started with Canion...would this adapter work? It's only about $25. The OBDlink MX is about $150. All advice appreciated. I will be using my samsung Galaxy Note II.

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-PIC18F2480-diagnostics-compatible/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385119036&sr=8-2&keywords=obdlink+mx

No it wont work you need the expensive ones as they use a different chip. There is only two that I know of that use that chip and its the scan tools one and one other one available for around $80 - $100 roughly. All the cheep ones wont work .

Kurt

priusfan said:
About graphs and data mining, you can copy the small sqlite database from your android device to a PC and analyse it using the sqlite firefox extension.

Oh, la la!... que's que c'est? :?:

Updating Firefox...
installing add-on...

What? :shock:
Too much data for me, I dont know how to handle! :oops:

But I see Excel can import the log (.txt) without serious problems and I can play with it. Nice! :D

Enough for me (for now) :)

962fe79daacb7dcb944fb6b8a9fc4a44o.png

offgridQLD said:
No it wont work you need the expensive ones as they use a different chip. There is only two that I know of that use that chip and its the scan tools one and one other one available for around $80 - $100 roughly. All the cheep ones wont work .

Kurt
Figures... Thanks to both of you. I guess if I can afford a $30k car, I can afford a $150 connector.

fjpod said:
Figures... Thanks to both of you. I guess if I can afford a $30k car, I can afford a $150 connector.
;) Likewise, I've been hoping for an ipad version of Canion, but am willing to dip a toe into Android if an inexpensive device is available. I got the good bluetooth/OBD2 adaptor, but it seems most tablets don't have bluetooth?
Has anyone compiled a llist of compatible devices or can suggest an inexpensive one or previous generation to buy used? I don't want an Android device for any purpose other than Canion, and will not subscribe to a cellular plan for it.

I thought I read on the Leaf forum that the least expensive (<$50) Android display is a prepaid cellphone which needs not be activated. Just make sure it has WiFi and Bluetooth. At my age, I appreciate the larger screen of my Hisense Sero 7 Pro which I've now seen advertized for under $100.

Given the amount and density of information that gives the app, I think a small or low-resolution screen (I'm thinking about certain low-end phones) is not a good idea.

Programmer recommends
use a tablet with high resolution (1280x720 or better)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=emobility.canion&hl=en

I like the Nexus7, don't sure the price in USA ($199?)

JoeS said:
I thought I read on the Leaf forum that the least expensive (<$50) Android display is a prepaid cellphone which needs not be activated. Just make sure it has WiFi and Bluetooth. At my age, I appreciate the larger screen of my Hisense Sero 7 Pro which I've now seen advertized for under $100.

Joe, we appear to have a winner- the Hisense Sero 7 Pro (LT) is $89 on the shelf at my local Wal-Mart! I don't see bluetooth as a listed feature, but this review says so.... (edit) AH-HA., the Sero 7 Pro LT is a Wal-Mart only stripped down version without bluetooth, among other omissions. The tricksters!
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424041,00.asp

Very devious of you on the prepaid cellular idea- my Chinese wife is jealous! :twisted:

So, I took a chance and ordered the Sero 7 Pro refurbished for a grand total of $89.99 at 1Sale.com will report back if it arrives and works...

about canion's stability/freezing.

Bonsoir
Martin made a nice mod in rel 111:
it is possible to make an easier life for canion...
this mod was made for slower android devices.

you just create or delete from 1 to 4 files in the folder BT_CAN

nomaps.txt
nocockpit.txt
nogps.txt
noaccpedal.txt

the content of these files can be whatever you like,
when canion starts, it checks the presence of these files and do less work accordingly.

the names are self-explanatory, these options are independant.

thank you for testing and reporting your results...

Xavier

I created the 4 files (nomaps.txt, nocockpit.txt, nogps.txt, noaccpedal.txt). Canion is now freezing not so many times. Working better. Two or three times it stoped rapidly, one time it worked 5 minutes, one time it worked 15 minutes (rarely did it before). I think, for me, a good improvement, i prefer one bird in the hand then two birds flying away. Files will stay.

I finally got my STN1170, installed it and connected to my Galaxy Tab 3 7.0, and to my surprise, it worked right away. But because of a few bugs ( like batt Temp.not working ) I decided to upgrade from Canion 108 to 111. Bad decision since the upgrade didn't downloaded properly even after many attempts. First time I upgrade from 108 and the other times I uninstalled and downloaded again.

The error was as follow : Error occured in sub: main_VVVVV.......VVV5 (java line:5399) java.lang.
And StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: length=0 ; regionStart=0 ; regionLenght= -1

I am lost so could someone help explain what is happening ?

Pierre

Xavier,

I have CanIon installed on a brand new Nexus 7 with 4.4KitKat. I am also using a new STN1170 OBD adapter. The setup works beautifully but I have had very intermittent luck on getting screenshots to save in the BT_CAN file folder. I know that I can create the screenshot by touching the middle of the left info panel after which "PrintscreenOK" appears under the main center panel. When I hook up the Nexus to my Windows 7 machine (browser: Explorer 11) I see that none of the screenshots saved. The program did save screenshots on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week but not yesterday (Thursday) or today. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

Try the app "ES File Explorer" for your tablet:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop

You can see the all files in BT_CAN directory. Perhaps you don't know if you have completed the print screen or the computer does not see it. If you do not see in your tablet, with the file explorer...

OK, Barbagris, I loaded that app and the Nexus has a zillion screenshots in the BT_CAN folder so I'm not going nuts after all. Problem is, when I open the BT_CAN folder in Explorer 11 there is a database file, journal file and one screenshot from a few days ago. I cannot get a view on the dozens of screenshots I have captured since. I can't figure out how it worked once but not now. Makes me frustrated with Android but it's gotta be something simple I'm missing.

Jim

So you have the pictures. Good.

Why do you try to open the directory with Explorer? (I understand the internet browser) :?:

1.-Plug the tablet to the PC with the USB cable. Perhaps the tablet open some king of dialog like "Do you want to conect with the PC...", perhaps no.

2.- Open the file explorer (Windows key + E). You must see your PC, and your tablet as a external unit, like a mem USB pen. Look for the BT_CAN. The picture is in spanish, sorry, but is understable:

c1833d760dcaefdda78780bb4e89fefao.png

Copy (or move) the screenshoots to a directory in your PC; you see they are named "pict..." and year/month/day_hour/minute/second. Be careful not to erase other things if you don't know what are you doing.

Should be very easy...

Back