Canion

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JoeS said:
RobbW, to answer your question and quantify your driving efficiency, CaniOn is the *best* way to go. As Don pointed out I'm a confirmed Apple products guy (still have my 1984 512K Mac), but I bought an inexpensive Android tablet strictly for CaniOn - well worth it! The least-expensive approach I've heard of (but haven't tried myself) is to get a prepaid Android phone (WalMart?) and never activate it. It's the LX or MX OBDII adapter that costs more...

So, I went to Walmart on my lunch break and bought a cheapo RCA 7" Android 5.0 Lollipop tablet. I also ordered the ODBII LX device from ScanTools. Now just to load the Canion app and wait for the ODB tool to get here. Can't wait to see all this juicy data I've been missing out on!

UPDATE: Just found out the caniOn app is not compatible with this tablet. WTH?

UPDATE #2: Returned tablet to Walmart and got a better. I'm guessing the incompatibility problem is with the screen resolution, since the developer recommends screen res of 1280x720 or higher.

UPDATE #3: Okay, new tablet appears to work correctly with caniOn. Got the app loaded on and fired it up just fine. Now just need to wait for the ODB device to be delivered.

I had version 133 running and it recorded all the trips. Now I have version 134 and I can see the trip but after I switched it off, it's gone. All the old trips from version 133 are still there.
What do I need to change?

RobbW said:
.....UPDATE #2: Returned tablet to Walmart and got a better. I'm guessing the incompatibility problem is with the screen resolution, since the developer recommends screen res of 1280x720 or higher....
Bonjour
canion works perfectly on my 7" HU.
the res is 1024x600.
Xavier

priusfan said:
Bonjour
canion works perfectly on my 7" HU.
the res is 1024x600.
Xavier

Okay. Well, then, I have no idea what the issue was with the tablet I originally purchased then. It was an RCA 7" tablet with 1024x600 resolution. It had the newer 5.0 Lollipop OS on it. So, I assumed it should be able to handle any app in the Play store. I suppose I could have messed around and tried to force the installation somehow. But I'm too impatient for that. So, I just returned it and got another tablet at the next price level up that had the recommended resolution. CaniOn installed just fine on it.

PV1 said:
When I start the car, the phone automatically turns on, starts charging, turns on Bluetooth, and opens the CanIon app. When I shut the car off, it exits the app, turns off bluetooth, and shuts the screen off 15 seconds later, all automatic (I love the flexibility of Android).

Can you please detail how you got your device to do this? I am an all-Apple guy and have no experience customizing an Android device. I just bought a tablet yesterday to use exclusively for CaniOn in my Meepster. Since that's all it will be used for, I would like it to behave just as you have described in your post.

-Automatically turn the tablet on when the car is started
-Automatically sync with ODB bluetooth device
-Automatically open CaniOn app
-When car is powered off, tablet should automatically turn itself off, too

Alternatively, another function I wouldn't mind trying to figure out how to do is to automatically download the data out of the CaniOn app to a database on my home PC. I have wireless networking throughout my house. Since the Android tablet will use Bluetooth to connect to the ODB device, that leaves the wireless function free to connect to my home Wi-Fi network. If there is a way for it to automatically connect to my Wi-Fi and then automatically dump that day's CaniOn data onto my PC, that would be awesome!

That can all be done. The apps I use are:

Impel - Automatic Tasks - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phase2i.impel
Screen Timeout Switch - apparently no longer available on Google Play, as soon as I remember how to back up an app, I'll post a dropbox link here where you can download and install the app.
Drive Autosync - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ttxapps.drivesync

For syncing to your computer, you can use Google Drive. You should already have Google Drive as part of your Android account. To get it to sync a folder automatically, download Drive Autosync onto your tablet, sign in, and select the BT_CAN folder. Enable Autosync and Instant Upload. Set the power source to AC/USB/Battery so that it will sync any time it is connected to WiFi. If you are worried or have issues with battery life, you tell the app to sync only above a certain battery charge level (mine is set to >60%). Finally, add your network SSID to the allowed wifi networks list. It will now only sync over your home network (unless you manually connected the tablet to other networks, it will only connect to your home network anyway).

On your computer, download and install Google Drive. Sign in with the same account as your tablet. After your tablet syncs, the BT_CAN folder should show up in your Google Drive folder. The tablet will sync with Google, which also syncs your PC when it is online.

For the Impel Tasks, I have the following set up:

1. Enable Bluetooth and Start CaniOn. Trigger is Power is Connected.
2. Disable Bluetooth. Trigger is Power is Disconnected. I also have the Auto Close setting in CaniOn enabled.
3. (for convenience) Set Screen Brightness to 80%. Trigger is time, set at 7:30 AM.
4. (for convenience) Set Screen Brightness to 20%. Trigger is time, set at 8:00 PM.

You could copy my tasks, or customize them if you have a set schedule of when you first use the car. You can use a time trigger to enable Bluetooth instead of power trigger so CaniOn has an easier time connecting to the OBDLink. Each task is capable of performing multiple operations. You could set one for 10-15 minutes before you use the car every day to turn on bluetooth and set a certain screen brightness, another task to turn bluetooth off in the evening and also turn on WiFi for database sync, then at midnight turn off WiFi. It's all up to you.

I have screen timeout switch set up for screen timeout of 15 seconds when power disconnected, and 30 minutes when power is connected. CaniOn keeps the screen on, but this setting is useful when other apps are open instead of CaniOn (Maps/Navigation for example).

I will be glad to answer any questions you have about this process.

AutoSync I found and seems to work great, but the Impel links seems to be broken and I don't seem to be able to locate the software. Any clues? Thanks for the tip. AutoSync seems great already!

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess Impel was discontinued as well. As with the screen timeout app, I'll try to backup my apps and post the links so you can download them.

OK. Here's a link to a folder containing Impel, Screen Timeout Switch, and as a bonus, Screen Rotation Lock.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ml90dn07irwpw2g/AACD7UKf1kQ3miTMvRYSUsoua?dl=0

Still waiting for my ODBII LX to be deliverd. So, haven't had a chance to try CaniOn in operation yet. In the meantime, I was wondering how everyone uses CaniOn to improve the efficiency of their driving style in the iMiEV? Or do you use it strictly for metrics and not necessarily for real-time corrections to your driving style?

To be honest, I have it and after watching looking and playing with it for the 1st 2 months. I have taken the Plug out and don't really use it.
Still worth it to check every once and a while. But I only have 8 miles form home to work, so not worth staring at it LOL.

I don't always have it on, especially for short trips around town, but I usually turn it on for longer ones. Like last time I was able to determine what the total energy consumption is for the 240km journey I need to do every week. It's also nice to know that at any time you can go and check your cells are balancing well and there are none dropping low before others.

jsantala said:
. It's also nice to know that at any time you can go and check your cells are balancing well and there are none dropping low before others.

This is why I got it. Worth the price for it :)

Hello!

I use it all the time in the car with autostart/autoclose via ignition-key. My database is now more then 500MB of size with a lot of information. Maybe it'll be never used for analysing purpose, but if somebody is asking something specific, maybe the collected data could help. F.e. the highest and lowest cell temp ever and how long this period was.

In my special case regarding cell 23 defective, i do an analysis comparing cell 23 with cell 1 some time in the pastence to locate the time of first abnormality (cell voltage difference). So i go to my garage and told them to replace cell 23. I only get a big "?" in their face. They know nothing from the car. This could be worse for your wallet! I saved more then €5.000,- for battery replacement as offered from my garage by cell replacement only of this via DIY, instead of replacing the whole battery by the garage.

You are also able to optimize your energy consumption on the road, seeing always the exact kW or Wh/km. So you get a lot of experience for best driving efficiency. Sometimes it's better to drive faster, even kW ist higher, but Wh/km is lower.

Long term trips are now very easy to handle, because i see current SoC in %. Also Wh/km average of the trip could help you to catch your destination.

If i do not have the tablet in the car, i miss the potential to optimize driving efficiency and drive the car without the feeling not do now exactly how far the car will go.

Martin

Yes, I also look at SOC as reported by CaniOn when I need to do my longer trip and have found that I can make it from my slow charge to the next quick charge if I have 70% battery. The bars just aren't as realiable and easy to read as cold hard numbers.

My ODB2 device was delivered last night. Paired everything up with my Android tablet and started getting some nice-looking data. I like this. However, I am having some issues with the app. Most notably, the screen frequently completely freezes up and the metrics no longer update. After finally reading through this ENTIRE 50-page thread, I think what I need to do is go into the settings and turn off several of the panels that I never really use. I'm hoping that will make the app more stable. Also, I am noticing the BT connection being dropped and then reconnecting very often. I hope this may also be fixed with turning off several of the panels.

priusfan said:
Bonjour
About updates, sometimes, a guy asks us (Martin or myself) to add or change something.

If it is easy for us, or seems valuable for many others (or we are offered a lot of $$$) , we try to do it.

If this is true, how much $$$ to get a switch for displaying miles instead of KM in all metrics where KM is currently used (e.g. odometer, trip odometer, KM/H, KM/kWh, Wh/KM, etc.)? Another feature request I'd like to see is the option for displaying all the info in red. I'd especially like to have that option for nighttime driving as red has less effect on your eyesight in the dark.

Thanks for the great app. I plan to spend lots of time gleaning as much info as possible from its use in my Meepster!

Okay, so am I missing something with the "Trip Timer" panel? Is there any way to prevent if from resetting all the metrics every time the app is closed/opened or whenever there is a disruption to the bluetooth or USB power supply? Every time I turn off my car and turn it back on, the Trip Timer resets. Every time my tablet's screen times out and goes to sleep, the Trip Timer resets. Every time I accidentally bump the USB power cord and cause a momentary power disruption, the Trip Timer resets itself. Every time I sneeze or yawn, the Trip Timer resets itself (kidding on that last one, of course). It seems like the Trip Timer will reset itself with even the slightest disturbance in "The Force." I have not yet been able to complete a single driving trip and get metrics for the full trip. Something always causes the Trip Timer to reset itself before the end of the trip.

I would like the Trip Timer to never reset itself until I press the Reset button.

Also, would it be possible to have a lifetime KM/kWh (or Miles/kWh) metric? It would be nice to see my average KM/kWh over the past week, month, year, etc.; not just the instantaneous or trip metric. Maybe with a reset option so that we can reset the lifetime KM/kWh whenever we want?

In the meantime, I need to figure out how to prevent my tablet from going to sleep after 30 minutes. That's what happened on my drive into work this morning. Everything was going perfectly with CaniOn this morning. There were no BT errors or disconnections. The app never froze up. Everything was perfect, and I was happy thinking that I would FINALLY get metrics on a complete trip. Then, about 5 minutes away from work, my tablet timed out and went to sleep. When I pressed the button to wake it back up, CaniOn reset all the metrics! Grrrrr!

I though CaniOn blocked sleep while it was running. I've done single trips up to 1 hour, 45 minutes with no interruption, even with a 30 minute screen timeout. Even when the car is off and the screen timeout is set to 15 seconds, CaniOn will keep the screen on.

I agree, a toggle for trip resets would be nice. Toggle the automatic reset on or off.

**EDIT**
I found why my screen stays on. Under Developer Options in the settings app, there is an option to "Stay Awake", which will keep the screen on while the device is receiving external power.

If you do not have Developer Options listed at the bottom of the main Settings menu, go into About phone, and tap on Build number roughly seven times. A message should show up saying that Developer Options have been unlocked. Go back to the main Settings menu, and you should now see Developer Options near the bottom by About Phone.

Back