Canion

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing it's just that you can't diagnose trouble codes of hybrid and eletric vehicles. Looks exactly the same as before.

Terrible picture, but I moved my OBDLink LX to the dash using a 1m OBDII extension cable from ebay:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nyo8rj0we7jqcba/2015-09-17%2009.11.54.jpg?dl=0

This way I should be able to connect the car while charging using CaniOn from a slightly longer distance, like hopefully from an apartment window or balcony.

Works great! This is how I have the dongle set up inside the car:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwcw3apgc5w283f/2015-09-18%2015.33.28.jpg?dl=0

And this is how well it works from the apartment overlooking the parking lot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmtcz1uv2mjvsut/2015-09-19%2010.30.51.jpg?dl=0

I only wish there was a way to wake up the car remotely so I could check it's status remotely at any time, not just while charging...

ps. Thanks for the new CaniOn version - looks nice!

Here in Finland most parking spots in apartment buildings have 230V 16A outlets. They usually have a two hour timer and they're meant for pre-heating your engine and car during the winter. That's what I have as well. I only use it occasionally for charging on the weekends though, because I have a parking spot in a warm garage at work, also with 230V 16A wall outlet.

jsantala said:
ps. Thanks for the new CaniOn version - looks nice!
I have my Android tablet semi-permanently installed in Mitti and have WiFi turned off and don't have automatic updating (does that work with CaniOn?) so the only way I find out about any updates is right here on this thread. CaniOn is now up to v.133. Thank you again Martin and Xavier for continuously improving this valuable app! :D

Bonjour
About updates, sometimes, a guy asks us (Martin or myself) to add or change something.

If it is easy for us, or seems valuable for many others (or we are offered a lot of $$$) , we try to do it.

But since quite a long time, canion is as stable and accurate as possible...

To see the changes, have a look in Settings / About.

Xavier

Thank you for improving CaniOn. I asked before for more about the battery temperature. Now its very easy to see it all the time, and to see how it change. Just would like to see the number of Battery Current Capacity. That could give us an idea about the rate of loss of capacity. The app used in the Nissan Leaf gives that number. But even without that number, I'm very happy with it.

It would be very, very nice to see current battery capacity as determined by the vehicle, if it's available, but then again it might not be.

priusfan said:
...If it is easy for us, or seems valuable for many others (or we are offered a lot of $$$), we try to do it...
My brief use with this latest (v.133) change has my bluetooth connecting immediately instead of having to repeatedly try; maybe it's a fluke, but it does work well.

Now that I have my Android tablet mounted semi-permanently in Mitti, I've been reflecting on how I use CaniOn. Although I like all the screens available, here's what I use most of the time:

In my everyday around-town driving I simply use the Trip Timer numerics display (reset before each round trip), and I am primarily interested in four items: Trip Distance, Moving Average Speed, Battery Average Temperature, and Trip Efficiency (Wh/km). Unfortunately for me (but a good thing overall), this last CaniOn version (v.133) moved the Temperature numeric over to the left pane, and, with my old eyes, I can no longer read the smaller numerics without putting on reading glasses (I can read the Trip Timer numerics just fine).

For long trips I like the Wh/km history display to see how efficient my driving is. What is now nice is that I have (if I could see it) the battery temperature at the same time instead of having to go back to either the Battery Temperature History screen, Battery Temperature screen, or Trip screen. On long trips I also occasionally look at the Battery Temperature History screen.

When I run the charge down or fully top-up or think that something strange is going on, I like to glance at the Battery Status screen to see how well-balanced the individual cells are amongst themselves.

If I am trying to do some calculations, the information such as average speed, moving average speed, HVAC percentage consumption, etc. are mildly interesting. I especially like the parameter of energy consumption for a particular moving average speed, and I also pop over to the altitude screen to see how much has changed. Although interesting, I've never found much need for the % or amount of Regeneration, as it is incredibly variable when you live in hilly country. All the other screens are cute and I sometimes look at them and I am happy to have them, but rarely use them.

IMHO, information that duplicates the i-MiEVs display is superfluous. For example, the new battery charge indicator is beautiful, but (unless I'm missing something) it shows the same information that the i-MiEV fuel gauge does.

All that said, Martin and Xavier, here is my wish list:

Another TRIP screen, with only the following LARGE numerics:

TRIP DISTANCE
MOVING AVERAGE SPEED

BATTERY STATE OF CHARGE
BATTERY TEMPERATURE

TRIP NET ALTITUDE CHANGE
TRIP EFFICIENCY (Wh/KM)

The other item I would welcome is the ability to program a beep which would be enabled when a pre-set instantaneous Wh/km energy consumption rate was exceeded. (This was discussed earlier in this thread.)

Martin and Xavier, I'll be happy to contribute some more $$ to your development fund. Anyone else?

I have CaniOn 129 running on my dedicated i-MiEV phone, but 133 on my everyday phone. While it's nice being able to see battery temperature on any screen now, it is easier to see with the larger text, but this makes no difference to me. I do find the % regenerated quite a useful piece of information. Seeing it as high as 75% coming down from 7 Springs resort is quite intriguing, as it shows how much further the range is by having regen vs. no regen. There are a lot of places I couldn't go without the help of regen.

It's not a tool I use every day, but I am glad to have it when I do need it. Thanks again for developing this very helpful (and important) tool.

JoeS said:
All that said, Martin and Xavier, here is my wish list:

Another TRIP screen, with only the following LARGE numerics:

TRIP DISTANCE
MOVING AVERAGE SPEED

BATTERY STATE OF CHARGE
BATTERY TEMPERATURE

TRIP NET ALTITUDE CHANGE
TRIP EFFICIENCY (Wh/KM)

The other item I would welcome is the ability to program a beep which would be enabled when a pre-set instantaneous Wh/km energy consumption rate was exceeded. (This was discussed earlier in this thread.)

Martin and Xavier, I'll be happy to contribute some more $$ to your development fund. Anyone else?

I find the canion data invaluable and certainly would make a "modest" contribution to the creators. I couldn't really even consider the add ons and mods I'm working on without it!

I like Joe's list and also like having the batt temperature on the trip screen (I can just barely read it without glasses). I don't think app developers give much thought to how well the output can be focused upon. I never thought much about such things until I needed reading glasses myself. Too much info on each screen with most apps so that when you bump up the font size on your device you can't make heads or tails out of the incomplete words that result. That's one thing I like about Canion with all the different screens (some more useful than others) large fonts work OK on most of it.

Thank you gentlemen for a great tool!

Aerowhatt

Bug report; Double-tapping the new Trip screen results in a buggy screen with right side blue. New battery meter etc missing. Also when in this state, closing the phone and then opening again results in some errors:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xg9e8gbfv4m4y4k/AABEJ9Xk6hhBf0EqmLNZ1pB7a?dl=0

jsantala said:
Bug report; Double-tapping the new Trip screen results in a buggy screen with right side blue. New battery meter etc missing. Also when in this state, closing the phone and then opening again results in some errors:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xg9e8gbfv4m4y4k/AABEJ9Xk6hhBf0EqmLNZ1pB7a?dl=0

Hello!

There must be something wrong with your database. Please rename /sdcard/bt_can/btcan.db and check caniOn with a fresh database. If you will keep all your data, please send me your btcan.db to check & repair it.

Martin

P.S. you can donate our work via paypal to [email protected] (also used for caniOn Google Play Store entry for contact).

Now the Trip screen doesn't get buggy, but if I close the phone while the screen is displayed using the power button and open it (using PIN code) then the same error message pops up.

Thanks for the donation address. ;)

jsantala said:
Bug report; Double-tapping the new Trip screen results in a buggy screen with right side blue. New battery meter etc missing...
I hadn't noticed that since I rarely open up a screen fully. Did that this morning and had the same problem as jsantala.
me68 said:
...Please rename /sdcard/bt_can/btcan.db and check caniOn with a fresh database.
After connecting my Android tablet to my Mac and uploading the btcan.db and btcan.db-journal to the Mac, I simply deleted those files off the tablet. Fired it up in the car, and all is well (no blue obliteration). Took two attempts for bluetooth to connect to the car, still better than before.
me68 said:
you can donate our work via paypal to [email protected] (also used for caniOn Google Play Store entry for contact).
Done, again, and thank you, as without CaniOn life with the iMiEV would be incomplete. :geek:

Without having read through the entire 48-page thread on Canion, is there a current, cheap Android device that would be recommended as the best value to purchase specifically for using with Canion? I promise I will go back and read through the whole thread. But right now, I am about to leave on my lunch break and figured I'd stop at Walmart or Target and see what cheap, prepaid Android offerings they have. Also, is the LX or MX OBDII adapter preferable? I assume the Canion thread has plentiful instructions for downloading and installing the app, but in layman's terms, is it relatively simple to install and use? Or is there a LOT of futzing around you have to do to get it set up and running?

This may have been asked/addressed previously in this 48-page thread, but I can't find it doing a search. Can you load and run the Canion app on an Amazon Kindle? I have a spare one of those devices laying around, but no other Android device at the time.

RobbW said:
This may have been asked/addressed previously in this 48-page thread, but I can't find it doing a search. Can you load and run the Canion app on an Amazon Kindle? I have a spare one of those devices laying around, but no other Android device at the time.

Never mind. I just went out and bought a cheap Android 5.0 tablet from Walmart during my lunch break. Ordered the ODBII Lx device, too. Now to load Canion on the tablet and hurry up and wait for the ODB tool.

Back