Our Gas Free Miles Travelled

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reposting this to a more appropriate spot.

I've had my car since mid-May and have put about 5, 000 miles on it. According to my home budget software, I spent $1,400 on gas in 2012, down from my five-year average of $2,000, a net savings of $600 - and I've only had my MiEV for seven months. Despite all the home-charging, I didn't see an increase in my electricity bill, probably because the rates have dropped so much.

In addition, my auto service costs last year was $500 compared to my five-year average of $1,600 - a savings of $1,100!! (I used to own a VW Passat wagon which was a sweet ride but a maintenance nightmare).

So, in 7 months of driving my MiEV I've saved $1,700. This far exceeds my expectations!

sandange said:
This months anniversary - gas free miles to date

19,382 km ( 12.043 Miles )

All in 7 Months

I just past 16,000 kilometers (10k miles) yesterday in seven months. You definitely are driving farther than I am. :p

At $160.00 a month in gas (Western New York - $4.00 a gallon average filling a 10 gallon tank in a Nissan Versa), I've saved $1170 on gas and I would be in for my third service by now on an ICE, saving another $1000 on maintenance.

We have about 2000 km done in little more than two months. That is a saving of 25USD / 100 km compared to my Jaguar XJR which by the way has not moved since the iMiev came in!

Then say about 500 USD saved in two months !

I call it a hybrid solution, just that it's is spread into two cars ;)

13,000 happy miles in 10 Months
GasAUTOMOTIVE138797.png

The above graph is from my credit card company showing how much gas I bought last year, 2012. I got my iMiEV on March 11, 2012. I drove a one thousand trip in my 15 MPG Jeep in April.

WARNING to iMiEV OWNERS: Gasoline turns bad with time and temperature.

Since I now use so little gas in my Jeep, I buy strictly Shell premium. Shell premium last longer than the $300/month cheap gas I used to buy.

Gasoline savings add to about $3000 so far, but this has cost me almost $300 in electricity. I now drive MUCH slower than I used to. Even in the Jeep I drive much slower..

FiddlerJohn said:
WARNING to iMiEV OWNERS: Gasoline turns bad with time and temperature.
That's good to know. I believe this is why Volt owners are supposed to only use premium gas in their vehicles. My wife's car, our ICE car, gets driven so little that we have to make a mental note to take it at least once a week.

We only use Shell gas. My previous car, a Mazda3, would get almost 10% better fuel economy on Shell gas over the s--t gas brands out there. It was amazing!

FiddlerJohn said:
WARNING to iMiEV OWNERS: Gasoline turns bad with time and temperature
Yes, and batteries will go dead too, unless you keep them trickle charged - Ask me how I know :lol:

The solution for the bad gas is to use 100% gasoline - I.E. Ethanol-free. You may need to do some research to find the station nearest you, but they do exist . . . . ask a few local boaters where they buy their gas. Luckily, I have such a station only 1/4 mile from my house

or . . . . check out www.pure-gas.org

Don

All gasoline goes bad - eventually it turns to a "shellac". The alcohol absorbs water and helps prevent rust, and it helps reduce pollution by adding more oxygen. It is a lot better than lead and MTBE.

Today is the one-year anniversary of our iMiEV purchase. Despite having been away from home for about five weeks this past year, we still racked up a respectable 11,143 miles (17,933km), at a total electricity cost of $1.50 (public charging).

Our home solar is quickly getting amortized and is cost-neutral... actually, we should make money on it but the local utility only lowers the bill to zero and pockets the rest (about $2500 they 'took away' as of last November), but that's another story...

If I play devil's advocate and use a US-vehicle average consumption of 22.4mpg and a California fuel cost of $4.00/gallon, for the 11,143 miles we saved $1989.82 in fuel cost alone. Yes, we can quibble over the details, but if you throw in ICE routine maintenance we've saved at least $2000, especially if I dollarize the time saved by not going to gas stations and driving in the HOV lane...

For about 8000 miles I kept meticulous track of exactly what my iMiEV's consumption was, resulting in a wall-to-wheels number of 4.2 miles/kWh (14.78kWh/100km).

All this, practically emissions-free, in a vehicle that fantastically meets all of our local driving needs.

How cool is that? :cool:

Way to save Joe

We projected an annual savings of $ 2,000, (so far it looks better than that)
over our Honda Fit (ICE)
Paid $ 8,000 more for our Miev over an ice equivilant
Break even = 4 years

JoeS said:
How cool is that? :cool:

Very Cool! Joe. I'm coming in with the same figures possibly more. At 7 months, I've calculated $1280 in fuel savings - 32 weeks X $40 per week fuel costs (average I was spending on my 08 Versa). At 16k kilometers, I would probably have about 3 service appointments by now, possibly saving another $1000 dollars.

I'm still waiting on my solar panels. I got word that the Local Distributor has opened up their allotment of grid-tie ins. This is my third try, hopefully this will go through soon.

17135 miles as on today.

I was spending $450/month on gas. Now, because I have an i-MiEV, the utility put me on a EV rate. My electric cost (with i-MiEV) has gone DOWN $50/month. So, monthly net fuel savings -- $500.

And, I used to use a tollway to avoid traffic -- now, HOV lane baby!! That's another $200/month savings.

No oil changes -- another $200/year savings.

So, about $8600/year savings. By January 2015 (3 years), "Stuey" has paid for himself

Free and priority parking -- PRICELESS!!

Just had our 1-year service, only 5700 miles. We got used to driving sparingly when we drove polluting ICE vehicles. Haven't noticed any detriment to leaving our 1991 Volvo wagon sitting for several weeks at a time. When we do drive it, it's for a long trip, so we usually use at least half a tank and refill it.

Jenn

Back