Can't Get My OBDLinkMX+ to Connect to Car

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avanti

Just got a OBDLinkMX+ but can't get it to connect to car. It connects to my Samsung Galaxy S10 without a problem but I get the following message when it attempts to connect with my 2016 I-MIEV.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240305_152854.jpg
    Screenshot_20240305_152854.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 0
Where did you purchase the MX?

What type of screw head is used for the fasteners of your MX?

Do you have access to any other car to try it out? Use the Torque app with an ICE car just to prove it works or not.

Where did you purchase the MX?

What type of screw head is used for the fasteners of your MX?

Do you have access to any other car to try it out? Use the Torque app with an ICE car just to prove it works or not.
Amazon - directly from OBD Link store.

Screws heads look like button head security torx.

I will try on another car. Does the I-MIEV need to actually start for the MX to read?

Ok good on the screws, the fakes use philips heads.

The key has to be in ON position at least; READY is better since live data will be available at the port.

LX uses blueteeth, the MX uses wi-fi. So the device needs to connect to both the car and your phone.

My MX+ connects via Bluetooth.

Attachments

• 20240314_091646.jpg
    20240314_091646.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240314_091701.jpg
    20240314_091701.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 0
Some Apple devices don't like to connect thru BT; other members have reported problems. i have LX and don't know about MX+

From the Scantool website:
OBDLink® MX+ is a budget-priced, pocket-size Bluetooth OBD-II adapter for all OBD-II compliant vehicles (except hybrid or electric vehicles).[\quote]

i don't know why it wouldn't work.
The previous version, MX, was Wi-Fi antenna, but that one seems to be obsolete.

Last edited:
OBDLink® MX+ is a budget-priced, pocket-size Bluetooth OBD-II adapter for all OBD-II compliant vehicles (except hybrid or electric vehicles).

i don't know why it wouldn't work.
MX+ is OBDLink’s top of the range adapter, hardly budget priced so not sure if anyone tried it but the now obsolete MX certainly worked. Maybe don’t use the OBDLink app, try CarScanner, CanIon or OBDZero instead..

I bought the "obsolete" MX directly from the scantool website a few years ago and had a bricked unit right out of the box. I suspect you might have a similar problem!

The unit claims to be connected to android, but in actuality, the firmware is missing on the unit and isntead in some elusive factory setup mode... (The leds not responding as described was one of the signs).

If I used the android reset/firmware updater, it failed. If I tried to factory reset the MX, or the app, it still failed. The only way I got it working was to download the windows software and firmware, and manually reinstall it. After that it worked like a charm!

Good luck!

Click the link below, and scroll down to the following:

Update firmware with a Windows PC

Troubleshooting
The symptoms below may indicate that the firmware update was not successfully completed:

Button/Factory reset doesn't work (OBDLink MX+ and LX adapters only)
Error message - Command timed out

If you experience these symptoms, try the procedures below:

For OBDLink EX and SX adapters, retry the process using the Windows tool (see Update firmware with a Windows PC above).
For OBDLink MX+, LX, and CX adapters, follow the process below to troubleshoot your Bluetooth connection and retry the update process.

Last edited:
Back