Will BMW help kick start mass EV take up?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A slightly more detailed article about the i3 by Car and Driver:
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-bmw-i3-photos-and-info-news

I really like the accelerator 'detent' feature in the coasting position, that really makes efficient driving a lot easier as opposed to having our eyes glued to the charge meter trying to keep in between the blue and green areas.

They sure know how to utilize social media - I use facebook as a news agregator and all the EV sites have articles posted about the i3.

Even if I had the money and was in the position to buy another EV, I could not buy the i3. I feel that BMW has positioned their organization to simply crank cash out of their customers wallets. I had a BMW F650Cs motorcycle for a few years and what a nightmare that was! A cold starting problem got answers from 'you don't have a problem' to 'you need to have your engine replaced' from the four different BMW shops (which are mostly BMW owned now - the mom/pop shops are mostly gone) in my area. When I finally did find a shop willing to look at it, they bitched me out so completely for daring to touch my motorcycle in any shape or form. I had a whitepaper that said exactly what the problem was and how to fix it, they totally ignored the whitepaper (which most places do), attempted to fix it on their own and then finally admitted the whitepaper was correct after a week! This shop had completely removed every accessory which they said they would not do but did anyway and threw them all in a box for me to reinstall myself. After all this and getting the bike back, I rode it for a day before I realized they had not reconnected the headlight! Although a very innovate motorcycle it was a terrible bike - bad buffeting at speed, very uncomfortable for long distances, no fuel gauge - just an idiot light. Beside the bike wasn't even a true BMW, the bike was designed by BMW but built by Aprilia in Italy, with a Rotax motor designed and built by Bombardier - basically a mutt sold at a premium. This experience was so bad that I about got out of motorcycling right then and there, but I gave it one more try by trading in that bike for a Kawasaki Versys - which I felt was a heck of a better bike than the F650Cs ever was and it didn't hardly need the maintenance the BMW did. I'm thorougly soured on BMW and can never touch one of their products again. Same goes for Chrysler products but I won't go into that one.

The Chevy Spark has a much better chance at leading the EV charge. If Mitsubishi builds the CA-MiEV with a true 150+ mile range and sells it for the same price as the i MiEV - then that will lead the way.

1780 km (1,104 mi) across Europe with a BMW i3 with range extender:

09+Map.jpg

Plugging in 16 times.

About the REx:
something on fuel consumption. Exactly economical it is not. Doing 120 (75mph) on cruise gives you something of 15-16 km per litre (35-38 mpg us). Not too bad, not great. Taking 10 km (6 mi/hr) off the speed does wonders to this consumption however, but we kept it at 120 (75) where allowed.

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com.es/2014/04/bmw-i3-rex-european-road-trip.html

Back