What is the battery current?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveMiller

I think of our I-Miev dashboard “Energy Usage Indicator” as an amp meter between the battery and motor, which moves right as more current is drawn from the battery. Zero current flow is indicated between the blue “Charge” and green “Eco” labels (10:30 needle position). The indicator also has tick marks at 9:00 (full regeneration) 12:00, 1:30, and 3:00 (max power). Can anyone tell me how many AMPS each of those ticks actually indicate?

Dave
2012 Black I-Miev SE
2012 Black Prius

Each tick is about 50 amps. The tick in the charge zone doesn't represent full regen, since we've seen regen hit 43 kW, which is around 140 amps. Each tick is around 16.3 kW.

I'm not sure whether the gauge is current (amps) or power (watts). I want to say power, since amperage increases as the pack drains to get the same power (volts X amps = watts). I don't think the gauge moves further up as voltage goes down, so that would mean it shows power in watts.

The gauge in the dash is showing current (amps) only. And you are correct, about 50 amps per "tick". As voltage drops, amperage needs to increase to maintain the same power output. P=I X E.

7084228175_0f61128019.jpg

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=288

I just noticed that AMPS are indicated near the tick marks in the image that Barbagris previously posted. AMPS are not indicated on my US I-Miev as seen in this Motor Trend picture:

2012-mitsubishi-imiev-instrument-gauges.jpg

This gauge lettering appears to be another difference between the US and non-US I-Mievs and also helps explain some of my confusion.

Dave
2012 Black I-Miev SE
2012 Black Prius

Back