Steering Wheel Linkage

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANDY4004

I have noticed that the Steering Wheel Linkage which goes down through the Floor in the Drivers Footwell catches on the Car Mat in the Footwell, and I could feel this when steering. I have had a look at it this morning, and have pulled the Car Mat back a bit to stop this happening. Can anybody tell me if there should be a Housing round this Linkage? ANDY

The only thing that should be there is a small rubber boot that is the seal between the steering gear and the floor. The factory carpet and floor mat shouldn't come anywhere near the boot. Many cars have a plastic cover over the steering shaft u-joint at this point to prevent what you are seeing and feeling. If you are using a larger mat you sure don't want to get it tangled up in this area.

I had to go look - I don't see what you're describing. Could you post a picture?

On my car, there is a rubber 'doughnut' that surrounds the shaft where it goes through the floor and that prevents anything from touching the moving shaft - The molded carpet doesn't move, so I don't see any danger of it ever getting in the way. The moveable floor mats don't come anywhere near this area, plus they have a pair of tabs which hook the back edge to prevent them from moving forward

Don

The fitted Carpet don't come into contact with this. I bought Carpet Mats not Mitubishi ones, which are quite large and I could feel them moving when steering (. reversing out of my Driveway which requires full lock on steering_ This isn't a problem as I will make sure they are fitted so they don't touch this.The Doughnut is well sealed. I was concerned that here should have been some type of plastic Housing round this or a a rubber boot but it isn't a problem. Many Thanks for your Advice. Andy

ANDY4004 said:
The fitted Carpet don't come into contact with this. I bought Carpet Mats not Mitubishi ones, which are quite large and I could feel them moving when steering
Your aftermarket mats could provide a serious safety hazard - It sounds like they are way too big for starters. There's documented evidence that some of the runaway cars which experienced wide open throttle that even the brake system couldn't control were caused by floor mats interfering with the throttle pedal

The factory floor mats are secured at the aft corners - Didn't your car come with those? If not, I'd get a set from Mitsu if I were you

Don

Several of us bought mats from CarId, specifically the Lloyd mats which are specific to the i-MiEV. They even have the holes for the mat hooks which prevent the mats from riding up into the steering wheel linkage. I've had very good luck with the Lloyd Rubbert Tite All Weather mats. They stink to high heaven when you first get them but that eventually goes away and they have many great colors to choose from (this is not paid advertising and I only play a floor mat salesman on TV).

http://www.carid.com/2012-mitsubishi-i-miev-floor-mats/

Don said:
ANDY4004 said:
The fitted Carpet don't come into contact with this. I bought Carpet Mats not Mitubishi ones, which are quite large and I could feel them moving when steering
Your aftermarket mats could provide a serious safety hazard - It sounds like they are way too big for starters. There's documented evidence that some of the runaway cars which experienced wide open throttle that even the brake system couldn't control were caused by floor mats interfering with the throttle pedal

The factory floor mats are secured at the aft corners - Didn't your car come with those? If not, I'd get a set from Mitsu if I were you

Don
Thanks Don The car didn't come fitted with Mats but I will enquire at my dealership. Andy

Back