Speedometer Accuracy

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siai47

Has anyone ever checked the calibration of the speedometer in their I-MiEV? A few days ago I had a GPS mounted in the car and noticed that the speedometer at 50 to 55 mph was reading one to two MPH lower then the car was actually traveling. I know GPS's aren't totally accurate but this unit usually shows the opposite reading in other cars. My LEAF speeodmeter is showing two to three MPH faster then the GPS says the car is actually traveling. Today, I passed one of those roadside radar speed signs which varified that "your speed" was in fact two MPH faster then the speedometer in the I-MiEV was showing. If this is true of all I-MiEV's we might not have the cushion for a few MPH over the limit that we see in most cars. I believe the law states that speedometers can read a certain percent fast but zero percent too slow. Just wondering if anyone else ever noticed this.

I don't tend to use a GPS in mine, but I pass a roadside radar speed limit reminder. I am usually driving at about 30 mph when I go by it, and the radar reads exactly what is on my dash.

It is by law that the speedometer is showing more than you are actually running, in Germany at least. There is even a regulation how much it must show at least.

Comparing street side speedometers our i-MiEV is reliably showing 2 or 3 kilometers more than we are actually driving. That is between 20 kilometers and 60 kilometers per hour. Digital speedometers can be calibrated very reliably - but it wont show you 3 kilometers per hour when you are standing at a red traffic light.

Cheers
Peter and Karin

Back