Open EVSE

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds like a good plan, keep the upgraded OEM in the car for everyday, and keep the open EVSE at home as a charging station. On days I need higher power from a plug, take the open EVSE with me, and this whole setup would be cheaper than a permanent Aerovironment level 2.

Of course, I found a shorter way to work today that saves 10 miles (40 miles one-way) and I stay off the highway, all speeds below 50 mph. It is a little hilly, so regen will definitely pay off in range and brake saving. Using just the upgraded EVSE at either voltage level will work now. That Garmin Nuvi has been a great help.

Don said:
I didn't want a long pigtail, so rather than spend a fortune on one and end up cutting it in half, I bought 10 feet of 7 conductor 16 gauge wire and used two strands for each charge conductor.
National Electrical Code 2011 Article 310.10(H) only allows paralleling of conductors 1/0 AWG and larger. If one of your 16 gauge wires becomes open, then the normal current will overload the other 16 gauge wire without blowing the fuse. The wire could overheat and melt the cable.

RobertC said:
Don said:
I didn't want a long pigtail, so rather than spend a fortune on one and end up cutting it in half, I bought 10 feet of 7 conductor 16 gauge wire and used two strands for each charge conductor.
National Electrical Code 2011 Article 310.10(H) only allows paralleling of conductors 1/0 AWG and larger. If one of your 16 gauge wires becomes open, then the normal current will overload the other 16 gauge wire without blowing the fuse. The wire could overheat and melt the cable.
Isn't that also true for paralleled 1/0 AWG wires? One comes loose and the other one melts? The only reason one ever parallels power conductors is to increase the current capacity over that of a single conductor

But, thanks! I'll keep an eye out for that ;)

"Article 310. Conductors for General Wiring
This article contains the general requirements for conductors, such as insulation markings, ampacity ratings, and use. Article 310 does not apply to conductors that are part of cable assemblies, flexible cords, or fixture wires, or to conductors that are an integral part of equipment"

Apparently there are all sorts of exceptions for flexible cables attached to appliances. My wife has a made in China, UL approved 1600 watt hair dryer with a 6 foot, 16 gauge cord - If my calculations are correct, this thing draws 13.3 amps and I never thought any part of the NEC would permit that sort of current with such a small wire

My understanding of the 1/0 parallel rule is that with anything smaller, even a small difference in the length of the conductors could overload the shorter one past it's safe limit, since neither of them can handle the current alone and they must share it relatively equally

Don

Back