not charging

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomwoodruff

My 2012 I-Miev has developed a charging problem; intermittent at first, now steady. I use a 230 v. SPX home charger, which begins it's sequence normally, but then clicks off after a minute and indicates a charged condition. The dash shows the electric motor warning light for a moment.
The only certified mechanic in the State of Maine is no longer with the dealer, and I have my doubts he will be replaced as there are probably only half a dozen of these cars in state. It seems I should start in the MCU, but really don't know what I should be looking for.
Any help would be appreciated.

It's hard to say from so little information, but there is a thread dealing with the OBC.
Just click this link to go there, https://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4079

If you had a scan tool device to read out any Trouble Codes might help, but a visual inspection is fairly easy and may give you many clues.

Late to the party, but @TomWoodruff, I used an SPX for many years till it had a power failure in the fully potted interior. These units are vulnerable to water intrusion through the rubber-capped trimpot used for adjusting the amperage. If you see condensation in the LED lens, the unit is toast.

Otherwise, as JoeSsaid, you could have the common OBC failure on these cars. Any OBC salvaged from a junkyard collision is near guaranteed to have been working when crashed, and the swap is pretty straightforward. If you car languished on the dealers' lot, there's a chance it could still be under the 10 year warranty... Good Luck!

Back