New owner with some questions

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrylevine

Hello everyone,

We just purchased a metallic blue 2016 iMiev, what a great little car! Reading this forum helped me make a choice (we also looked at the Leaf).
Couple of questions:

1. Wading thru the manual, I see I can program extra "immobilizer keys". Has anyone done that? If so, where did you get the blanks? I searched here, but it doesn't look like anyone has posted about actually doing this successfully. Extra programmed keys, even without remote, are pretty pricey from the dealer, but maybe there are some usable generic ones. I've seen them sold for other cars.
2. The manual mentions that a metal key ring or an adjacent transponder key may interfere with the key function. I have both the metal key ring and another such key, but no problem so far. Has anyone seen this?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum - You made an excellent choice (of course) :mrgreen:

Several folks have bought replacement keys on eBay and from other sources, usually only when they've lost one of the originals because they're fairly expensive and getting the dealer to program them to match your car is even more expensive. There are a couple threads here discussing keys and their programming if you need more info. I guess the question is . . . . why do you need more than two keys? Are we all missing out on something by only having two?

No problems noted (by anyone so far as I know) with using a metal key ring, even when the ring contains key fobs for other cars. If it's not a problem with your car either, don't worry about it - I doubt you'll see any problem

Don

Welcome, and congrats on the purchase.

I have two transponder keys (one for each car), the MiEV remote, and an RFID fob to open the doors at work all on metal rings. I haven't had any issues yet.

I've found a few key fobs on eBay, but they were close to what the dealer wanted.

Did your keys have a small metal plate with a number on it with them? Keep that somewhere safe, as the dealer will need that code if you happen to lose both keys.

Back