New Owner - Ben got an iMiEV - Again!

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The beep and the snowflake I find quite useful - It's intended to give you a warning that it's cold enough that overpasses and such *might* be frozen and slippery, which is a very rare occurrence around here. If you *don't* live in Wisconsin, this is a very nice reminder to have. For us, it goes off 2 or 3 times per year! :lol:

Don

Now see the snowflake Beep pisses me off.... and every time it goes off I say " No Sh*t Sherlock, don't you think I already KNOW it is cold ??"
This is because I have the heater OFF .
LOL

So far, after driving the i for 2 weeks i've found it to be a fine car, it drives pretty well, but buffeting from the wind in 40mph winds is quite noticeable. The feeling in the steering wheel is muted, but light, although somewhat sticky at higher speeds, similar to the Suzuki Swift, could be the power steering. The front tires are a bit light on grip though, on wet slick road it's easy to trigger the ABS brakes.

I'll have to go make the rounds and see if I can get some wider front tires. If I can get another set of steel rims it would be possible use winter tires. If that's a no-go I'll rather go for all-season tires. I don't think I want the LRR tires, I tend to equate those with skid plates. Having driven cars with winter tires for over 10 years now I've grown fond of them. Even if it's just for the few days a year you need them.

The general acceleration is pretty good, well, it is from around 10 kph and up. The initial launch is very lethargic if you floor it in my model before it goes, not sure why. Still, it's very easy to drive compared to other small cars, of which we have quite a few in NL. The loaner car I had from Mitsubisi, the Spacestar, had a 1.0 3 cylinder engine. If you missed the clutch on launching from a stand still and you dropped out of the torque band it became a snail, which made for some very uncomfortable moments. The i drives quite easy in this respect.

The knobs on the dashboard I like, in so far that they are discrete knobs, but they don't have a endpoint or midpoint that you can use for reference (the heater knob for example). In my previous Peugeot 206 I had climate control, where you had to look at the screen to see temperature, fan settings, etc. So that was worse.

The dash isn't very detailed, but it's a cheap car (with a expensive battery), the plastic is the same as the Peugeot 206, it's all hard. I use a after market stereo, a 1 DIN pioneer with bluetooth hands-free that I've been towing along for the past 10 years (P65BT). The relative distance from the driving position to the dash where the radio sits is too far away for my liking, it makes changes to the channel or volume annoying. I really miss the behind steering will radio remote, a lot.

I insulated the rear doors last week, going to attempt the front doors next week. I've used 10mm thick weather proof foam for RV use, it adheres well to the inside door, keeping the plastic for the cold barrier. I've also managed to find a "High Voltage" warning sheet on the inside of the drivers rear door, probably a left over from the battery maintenance. I've taken the liberty to install some 6,5 inch rear speakers and made a 3D printed ring for mounting it (on thingiverse).

The initial week was a bit of pain, the car would keep aborting charge, which turned out to be a bad drive battery. Replacing that took 2 months, but was taken care of inside the warranty, which is really good for a 5 year old car. Since that replacement I've been positively impressed by the range, not as bad as I hoped, not as good as I hoped. Still, it does 90km with the heater on reliably which is still more then enough for the 70km i drive daily. I get to charge at work too, so it's easier to run errands after work.

Most of my family lives close by, I can make the round trip to either of them, which is nice. I have not had any freezing cold, so far it's been well above 0. The lowest was a 5C morning afaik, and with the heater on it's fine travelling. Speaking of the heater, it hasn't been to bad an experience so far.

With regards to general living with the car, it's the first with a working AC unit, which is a plus, and I get power windows front and rear too. I always missed rear power window control in the other cars. It also came with a cruise control, which I think is after market, but works well enough. I've found the cruise control to make a nice addition for keeping speed. In general, the lack of sound makes it harder for me to judge speed, as such I've been driving either too fast or too slow, but rarely close to the speed limit.

The dash reading is somewhat annoying, I don't like the speedo as a number in the middle, just give me a normal dial. The energy thing is purely for entertainment purposes, I'd rather have a trip average reading in kWh/km, remaining range in one view instead of something where you press a button. The RR is pretty reliable, but again, too many things on a single display.

Why does the car not have a clock, it bugs me enormously. :/ A light for the charge port to indicate charging or full would be nice, or one behind the wind screen I can see without having to open the door. A charge port on the front instead of the rear would be easier for me too. But that depends on where your access and parking space is, it goes either way.

So, how much does it cost? Well, I purchased it 2nd hand for 10k euro with 57k km on the clock, not quite the lowest mileage bargain, but still 2k cheaper then the others. In the end I might have actually struck the jackpot with the battery being replaced under warranty. If you compare this car to the previous Peugeot 206 SW Diesel I had before with the same mileage it's 850 euros for the i and 2800 for the 206. That's quite a hefty difference, all else being equal.

If you compare this car to the cheapest alternative, like the Mitsubishi Spacestar or Toyota Aygo, which I think is a fair comparison considering the class of vehicle it is still 850 vs 1800 euros a year. It still comes out cheaper to run. The big difference here is mainly the lack of road tax for full electric vehicles in NL, which would otherwise be 80 euros a month for the diesel, or 32 for the petrol car. A hybrid wouldn't have worked, as it still gets taxed for half the weight, so a Chevy Volt is still 550 a year in taxes alone.

I've not taken the purchase price into consideration or maintenance, neither is cheap. I could afford the 2nd hand i, but a decent petrol car wouldn't be the cheap either. Buying a 2nd hand Aygo for 5k euro with 178k km on the clock wouldn't be a sane choice either. The primary goal was to get to work dry and for the cheapest price possible without resorting to public transportation. We can not afford to keep driving 2 cars next year, so this was the cheapest way to still get to work reasonably. (35 minutes vs 1 and a half hours)

Other things I've purchased, a Mennekes type 2 to J1772 2nd hand for 130 euros for the public charging stations. A EVSE 2nd hand for 200 euros with a J1772 fixed cord on the driveway. A OVMS for reading charge state remotely.

I've probably forgotten other things, but it's a decent car for what it is.

Hi Ben,

Thank you for posting both your positive and negative initial impressions of your i-MiEV. I always find it interesting to read these discussions soon after someone gets the car, as most of us are happy to unload our initial impressions… now that I think of it, perhaps I should go back and see what I wrote right after getting my first i-MiEV almost four years ago.

Whereas all of us can add a few positives and negatives to your writeup, it's interesting to read your perspective and priorities. For example, two of my most-liked positives are the car's incredibly-tight turning radius and the fact that you turn the key and GO with no bootup time-delays. I'm afraid that at my age I am SO out of it regarding things like cupholders and keyless access and I actually consider manual windows to not only be safer (no statistics of people trapped inside cars on fire or underwater and unable to open those windows), but I think it's ridiculous that I have to activate the car just to open a window. For more storage you might read about the latest inexpensive console (with built-in cupholder) which I found to be almost perfect:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24797#p24797

Enough ranting - I agree to some level with most of your comments, but the one item I vehemently disagree with you about is the location of the J1772 port. Having located my EVSE within three feet of this port, the everyday routine of quickly plugging in the car with a clean very short cord is priceless, IMO. A port on the left side would mean that you would have to allow for opening the driver's door which means at least 6' of cable needing to be pulled out (and put away) every time, not to mention unnecessary intrusion of the right side of the car into the garage. If you're interested, we can weigh in on this topic on a dedicated thread:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1170

Wishing you many happy i-MiEV miles, which will only become a better experience for you when Spring comes. Let us know about the key, as there must be an inexpensive alternative to this highway-robbery.

hey datab, you will love driving that little bean and not buying gas. If you want to hear and feel buffeting, just drive around with the rear windows half way down and the fronts down a little--it will beat the ears off of your head...

I find having the charging ports in the side and in the rear a good solution. You can still back close to charging points and they are protected from snow and ice, which has been found to be a problem with Leafs in these nordic conditions. In the morning you could find your front charging port unable to close due to snow packed in or at a quick charge station the port iced shut, on the Leaf that is. No such problems on our vehicle.

jsantala said:
I find having the charging ports in the side and in the rear a good solution. You can still back close to charging points and they are protected from snow and ice, which has been found to be a problem with Leafs in these nordic conditions.
I'd be happier if I didn't have to back in to charge. Of course, you could have a port on the side but towards the front, as I've seen on some EVs, although I don't think there's room for that on the i-MiEV.

Apparently that may cause a tripping problem while walking between cars, but otherwise a port between driver door and front tire would probably be the ideal solution. I don't think backing up for charging is really needed except for QC, since the J1772 charging cable is long enough to reach even if you don't. In a garage you can always put the EVSE where you want it to be.

Also, you're less likely to hit pedestrians and cyclists, perhaps other motorists as well, if you don't have to back out of a parking spot. When you arrive at the spot you'll have more time and visibility to check the surroundings before you back in. Somehow it still does seem bothersome to do it.

“If that's a no-go I'll rather go for all-season tires. I don't think I want the LRR tires, I tend to equate those with skid plates. Having driven cars with winter tires for over 10 years now I've grown fond of them. Even if it's just for the few days a year you need them.”

I have found brand new LRR tires do great in the snow. Their softer rubber and deep tread don’t harden up like all-season’s do. In fact the LRR tires remind me of snow tires. They (both) don’t last as long. Last winter, we still had some tread left but I noticed we were slipping way more (vs my 1st year). Well we still have some tread left --- maybe for summer use. So in November I put on a new set of the OEM tires but I kept my old tires. The old still have tread for summer work. In April, I’ll put the old tires back on and save my new LRR tires for the next winter. Hopefully I can get every last mile out of OEM tires this way.

“Why does the car not have a clock, it bugs me enormously.” Does the European version not have a clock? Ours is in 24 hour format which I have easily got used to.

-Barry

I still need to take sizes on the tires and rims to see what my options are, I've read about the awkard wheel offset, in particular the fronts. Since I've just been driving it for 2 weeks I'll just have to see how it goes. It's well possible that the tires that came with the car are rather old and the rubber has become harder.

Not sure on the version of the this Miev, it's a 2010, so one of the 1st, it doesn't have the OEM radio or the integrated radio dash, so it doesn't have a clock :)

It's basically this dash
http://www.tflcar.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Mitsubishi-i-MIEV-Dsh-620x470.jpg

It has the 2DIN space, but without a 2DIN navigation head unit, and the 3 dials in a vertical line below the vents.

Hi bennelson,

While the description of your road trip is immensely entertaining, a drama-free alternative for transporting a MiEV over long distances across state lines to or from a dealership which we have employed is hiring a car transporter service for door-to-door relocation from your home address to the service department. All dealerships have trusted providers which move their cars around and they will hire a service on your behalf at a very competitive rate.

bennelson said:
More of my continuing adventures, in blog form.
I just traded in my electric car for a gas one.
See why at http://300mpg.org/?p=6243
Hey Ben, thanks for the writeup. Amazing that you had checked the night before and yet they now said they'd have to get the parts and keep the car. Yes, those low-power electric blankets really DO work (at least here in mild California). We often take detours to check out charging stations we *might* need in the future. Did you update PlugShare information on the one that was inoperable? - it's a great habit to get into to feed their database every time you stop and charge. Have fun with your Subaru - going to the gas station will remind you why you love EVs.

Oh Sheinr, you don't know Ben! This is a guy who never does things the easy way, especially when one could have an adventure or save a buck. Who else would drive 1200 miles around Lake Michigan for fun on a hacked-up Vetrix electric scooter just for fun?
http://300mpg.org/loopthelake/

BarryP said:
“Why does the car not have a clock, it bugs me enormously.” Does the European version not have a clock?
My car has the Nav package, so the only clock is on its display. I usually drive with the display off, as a distraction and unnecessary power draw, but then I annoy myself by not having a clock.

Yes, JoeS, I usually try to update stations on PlugShare when I can. You never know when somebody else will need a station and it can be really handy if somebody else has recently checked on it.

JRay - too true. And yeah, driving around Michigan was a blast!

Besides the outstanding recalls, I've having the dealer make me a spare key, and check on the blower fan. That thing is LOUD when it's cranked up. I hope they can chalk that up to warranty work!

I got my car back yesterday!

The dealer had my car for 20 days! I was told that much of that was waiting for parts, and then "well it's the holidays...".

I had three recalls worked on. Vacuum pump, impact sensors, and underbody rust package.

I also had them make an extra copy of the key and check on the blower fan noise. My Three-Year Warranty runs out next month, so I wanted to get the recalls taken care of before then. That way, if they found anything else wrong, it would be free to fix.

It turned out that the fan noise was indeed rodent damage. There was dog food in there. Rodents love when they can find dog food. They will pack it away anywhere they can for future eating, including inside car HVAC. The scary part of this is that the HVAC on this car leads right to the battery!

Because it was mice, it was also not covered under warranty.

The dealer is 70 miles away - which can't be done even by fair-weather EPA numbers, let alone in a Wisconsin winter. When I took the car down there, the charge stop I was going to use was out of order. On this trip, I checked at a different charging station on the way down to make sure it was working.

This was at a county college, and the school was closed for winter break. We had a big snow-storm the other day, and as I arrived in the parking lot, I could see two trucks and six men leaving - I had JUST MISSED the snow-removal crew. The entire parking lot looked great - perfectly clear. And not a car anywhere, as the school was closed.

So what does the plow crew do with the snow? Pushes it up around the charger!

Fortunately, at least the charger was still working. For a moment, I worried that it had gotten damaged by the plow. I pulled out my shovel and dug until I could get the charging cable out and confirm that I would be able to use it.

After that, it was time to continue my ride to the dealership. Once there, I had to pay dealer prices ($$$$$) for my extra key and dog food removal. They DID have the car at full charge. (I had reminded them SEVERAL times while on the phone...) The charger was indoors, which meant that my car was in a semi-warm shop, instead of out in the snow.

When I went to leave, I heard an immediate "wump, wump, wump" from the front-right tire.

Oh no, I am NOT going to drive home only to have to come back and leave my car for ANOTHER three weeks! I checked the tire, where the sound was coming from. The tire didn't look low and I didn't see anything stuck in the treads. I turned around and pulled back into the service bay at the dealership.

The tech who actually deals with the customers was on the phone, and looked puzzled to see me back again. Once off the phone, he hollered for the mechanic who actually worked on my car. He came out, and we had a look at the car and a brief discussion. He said that he had ALSO heard the same noise, but decided that it was surface rust on the brake rotor. I thought it may have been that as well, although I had never heard brake rust make that LOUD and DISTINCT of a noise before. Also, brake surface rust seems to usually be symmetrical, you hear and feel it on both sides, not just one.

I got back on the road, at least having registered my complaint in case it was more than just brake rust.

The roads were still snowy. Part of my trip had to be on the interstate, due to the location of the charging station I was going to use. By the time I arrived, my Range Remaining was listed at 16 miles. I had 35 to 40 miles to go. I backed in near the charger, illegally parallel-parked was the only way the cord could reach my car. Not that I was worried, it was an otherwise empty parking lot.

In better weather, on my original trip getting the car down to the dealer, I needed about an hour of charging. On this trip, with just a slightly different route, but colder temperatures and worse road conditions, I would instead need about 2 hours of charging. Too bad there wasn't a movie theater nearby! In fact, there's NOTHING in walking distance of this charging station. Since the school was closed for winter break, I couldn't even go inside to warm up.

I pulled out the electric car blanket, which I had purchased on the trip getting my car to the dealer, plugged it in, and set the car to the accessory position to turn on the 12V plug. I also discovered that the best way to use an electric blanket is to zip it INSIDE my jacket.

After that, it was a pretty boring 2 hrs of charging. One thing that DID dawn on me while I was there is that the Chargepoint station had both Level 1 AND Level 2 Charging on the same post. Some of the original chargers in my area had that design. It's great, because for example, you can charge an electric bicycle or electric motorcycle which would NOT have J1772 on it. In this case, I realized that I could have brought with me a small 1500 watt heater, and simply plugged it in to the 120V AC level 1 outlet on the ChargePoint station!

An interesting long-term modification for this car would be to install a high-power coolant heater with a 120V AC cord. At home, a preheat could be accomplished by plugging the cord in to the wall - regardless of whether or not the car is plugged in to charge. At a Chargepoint station, using BOTH the level 1 AND 2 connections, a person could get another 1500 watts of energy in to the car (as heat!) on top of the 3,000 watts of battery charging.
That's a 50% increase in energy for winter use! No, it wouldn't make the car charge any faster, but it would make the driver a lot more comfortable, and prevent additional time needed to "pre-heat" the cabin through the J1772.

When I was back above "half-a tank", my range remaining then indicated 37 miles range remaining. I drove the rest of the way home. It was now 7 PM on a weeknight, and traffic was very light. I was able to drive very conservatively. (Needless to say, I didn't have the heat on at ANY point during the trip.)
I arrived home with 4 miles on the RR meter.

Just glad to have the electric car finally back, crummy heater and all.

My "loaner" vehicle was a brand-new 2016 Subaru Forester. It's fancy, big, and high-end. And I was really starting to hate it. For the life of me, I was never ONCE able to simply pull away from a dead stop smoothly. The engine would have to rev to get the power through the torque converter, and then the vehicle would lurch forward. Is that just how brand-new torque converters are? Do they need a few thousand miles to burn in before they get decent? That car did have some nice features, like a "smart" cruise control. (Actually, a very clever feature.)

All I really want is a car that can pull away smoothly from a stop, do it reliably, and get me the places I want to go. Is that too much to ask?
Nope, it's not. The Mitsubishi iMiEV does this. (And the loaner didn't!)

Ben, I must say you lead an adventurous life, in a climate so alien to mine! Rodent battery damage potential is scary, but if the blower noise is now gone then let's hope for the best and hopefully the critter is not still living there, somewhere... :roll:

Happy New Year, and time for you to now start enjoying your 'new' i-MiEV!!

I would like to know how the mouse got into the system.

I know how they live dog food. When I was little, a mouse kept putting dog food in the exhaust pipe of our Tahoe. My parents kept yelling at me (thinking I was doing it) until they saw the mouse in the tailpipe one day.

As for the ICE lurch, you probably haven't noticed it in the past. Once you drive a hybrid or EV, you really notice it then. The i-MiEV makes going back even harder because, at least personally, the driver gets a tendency to simply plant the throttle as the i-MiEV automatically ramps up power. You can't do that in an ICEV and get a smooth takeoff.

Back