Motor Control Unit Recall

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was also built during that time period. No letter yet, nothing listed in the recall VIN listing.
Weird.

I just got my car back from the motor control unit warranty service. All is well again. I did have to leave it overnight because I couldn't make it on time after work.

Here's a tip, do not fully charge your car the previous night before taking it in for the recall service. They have to drain the battery so save some time and bring it in almost empty to speed up the process. The actual work does only take about 1.5 hours but depleting the battery is what took most of the day!

Glad you got your car back.

I'm still curious as to why they have to discharge the battery first? There is a service plug for a reason, not to mention the MCU discharges any residual voltage when the car is turned off.

davidricardo86 said:
depleting the battery is what took most of the day!

Yes, very curious, as the battery still has plenty 'nuff potential to kill ya dead EVen when 'depleted'. Seems a false safety step and waste of time.

Now my old nicad pack? The proper balancing procedure is to do a full discharge to 0.0 volts every now n then!

Trailered the car in, dealer had it 3 days, did 4 recalls. Motor controller, air bag sensor, under carriage corrosion, don't remember the 4th.

Charged me $260 for a new key. :shock:

The car seems to get better range now. Anyone else notice that?

DougC said:
Trailered the car in, dealer had it 3 days, did 4 recalls. Motor controller, air bag sensor, under carriage corrosion, don't remember the 4th.

Charged me $260 for a new key. :shock:

The car seems to get better range now. Anyone else notice that?

Had the recall done about 3k miles ago. Can't say the total range got better but the RR gauge seems to update more often and seems more accurate base on the current driving conditions and KW's left.

Koorz had this done, and while I can't say anything about the range since my Dad drives it most of the time, the car seemed peppier driving it back from the dealer with the new controller. It is definitely quieter now as the loud coil whine is gone.

DougC, your 4th recall was probably the brake vacuum pump ECU reflash.

I am bumping this thread to see how everyone is doing with their new MCU unit ?

Notice anything?
Did you notice anything before you got the recall done?
I know the high pitched whine but wonder if anyone else also had that.

Koorz is driving fine. Range still sucks compared to Bear (unchanged by MCU replacement). I do still notice some coil whine, but it is quieter.

Back