iMiev not selling well?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To round out jray3 post on the 77 i-miev December sales, here are the December sales for the Volt and Leaf:

Volt 2,693
Leaf 1,489

For calendar year 2012 North America sales were:

Volt 24,636
Leaf 10,059
i-miev 784

I saw on the news this morning that Chevy sold almost 10,000 more Volts than Corvettes for 2012

Don

The marketing peeps need to get to work for sure. In Canada, this car is called the "i-Miev".

What does that MEAN anyway

I know, I know.. Mitubishi innovative electric vehicle... ZZZZZZZZZZ Huh?!?!?.

How about a name that get the imagination stoked about the possibilities of this car. Something like the Mitsubishi Spark or the Mitsubishi ZEN.

emissionimpossible said:
The marketing peeps need to get to work for sure. In Canada, this car is called the "i-Miev".

What does that MEAN anyway

I know, I know.. Mitubishi innovative electric vehicle... ZZZZZZZZZZ Huh?!?!?.

How about a name that get the imagination stoked about the possibilities of this car. Something like the Mitsubishi Spark or the Mitsubishi ZEN.

Totally agree. Japanese manufacturers like these boring names, though - Yaris, Versa, Camry, Corolla etc. The days of the Celica, Supra, 3000GT, Talon, etc are gone. Not very imaginative. They should have given the marketing over to a hot new design firm that is willing to push things to the limit. Brighter colors and bolder name would have helped.

Here in Dallas some dealers were advertising Volts on 36-month leases for $0 down @ $299/month.

I don't know if a lease counts as a sale or not, but it sounds like they're leasing them at a loss to get their numbers up. I doubt that's sustainable unless they get another taxpayer bailout!

I tried to take advantage of the lease, but to my surprise my credit rating didn't meet requirements for leasing one, but they said I could buy one for like $50k. I didn't understand why it's harder to qualify for a lease than a purchase :roll:

emissionimpossible said:
The "DYLAN"!!! :D Nostalgic and innovative AND just because our car had "Acoustic" origins. I like your signature. " Like Dylan...I went electric"

Thanks. It was quite a shock when Bob Dylan appeared at the 1965 Newport Music Festival with an electric guitar. My tag fits perfectly with the times we are living in. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Dylan_controversy

I just read here:

http://insideevs.com/january-2013-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/

and here:

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/releases/9d60137c-0ec2-49d7-b31e-5ab0bfb42d24

That the iMiev sold 257 iMievs in January for North America. That's a huge improvement ...

I'm still waiting to see if MMNA will drop the price for the 2013 model and if they'll do like in Canada and improve their charger and front seat heating.

danpatgal said:
I'm still waiting to see if MMNA will drop the price for the 2013 model and if they'll do like in Canada and improve their charger and front seat heating.
If they do like in Canada, they'll raise the price :(

That's kinda what's given me the impression that Mitsu has no interest in increasing sales volume, at least not if it means lowering the price. And does anyone else find it ominous that Mitsubishi still only lists the 2012 model on their U.S. web site? That was a little odd/annoying in December, but in February it's getting to be just plain worrisome.

Vike said:
Does anyone else find it ominous that Mitsubishi still only lists the 2012 model on their U.S. web site? That was a little odd/annoying in December, but in February it's getting to be just plain worrisome.

Especially since the only other car still listed as 2012 is the Galant, which they've supposedly dropped. I'm really hoping the wait is for a good reason (but kind of not if I buy before they unveil 2013.)

PV1 said:
Vike said:
Does anyone else find it ominous that Mitsubishi still only lists the 2012 model on their U.S. web site? That was a little odd/annoying in December, but in February it's getting to be just plain worrisome.

Especially since the only other car still listed as 2012 is the Galant, which they've supposedly dropped. I'm really hoping the wait is for a good reason (but kind of not if I buy before they unveil 2013.)

Definitely...especially since the Canadian site has been updated to include the i-MiEV. The i-MiEV is sold differently in Canada than the US. The US team must have concluded its not worth it to sell the i-MIEV any longer and the Canadian team must be seeing something different. Like, why is the Fast Charge port included as standard in Canada and not in the US. This is telling me the Canada team is seeing EVs through a different lense, that slow progressive growth will eventually pay off and more and more fast charge stations will come online soon. Just a guess but definitely worrisome for sure.

Back