i-Miev armrest

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don said:
We've belonged to Amazon Prime now for two years, but they're not always the best deal. In this case, we bought the armrest on eBay for $37.52 with free shipping. I've found that many times, Amazon is actually charging you a hefty fee for their 'free' 2 day shipping

Don

True, but I had just signed up for it and my Ebay account is a little wonky last time I got something from them.

Just arrived so I went to go get it at lunch.
The box didn't say anything about the cup holder in the back. I thought I got the wrong one, but it DOES have it :)

I ripped it out of the box and shoved it into the spot.
Will have to play with it when I get home.

Thanks for this Great tip !!

After driving around with it for a day, I'm not sure we're going to keep it in the car. The wife doesn't like it . . . . she hits her elbow on it while driving and so do I. Even with it lowered down to where it's resting directly on the center console, it's still a couple inches too high we think

We'll give it a week and see if we can get used to it, but it doesn't look like a 'keeper' at this point

Don

No it does not.

My elbow rests nicely on it. If i take out the bottom 'bump' it will be more solid and 1/2 inch shorter, that would be a good thing.

The bump on the bottom doesn't come anywhere near the bottom of the cup holder - Cutting that off won't gain you anything

Don

Been driving with the armrest without any mods to its mounting and it feels natural, with a slight amount of squirming to get the seatbelt on but now don't even notice anything special when applying the handbrake. An added bonus of the armrest: it provided a nice resting place some long pvc conduit.

ConduitInside.jpg

HAHA, Double duty !

I to have not made any mods to it OTHER then take off the bump on the bottom.
I LOVE the fact that I have extra storage. I can toss my wallet in there... but not used to it as I have forgotten it in there 4 times now :roll:

I am still not sure how I want to make it stay in place. It does still wiggle around so I "lean" on it when I get into the car.
I will wait till next Spring/Summer to find out how you all have made final adjustments.

I was wondering if there has been any chance to reflect on this arm rest ,
feed back appreciated.

Pros /Cons .

The one I had modified lost its lid after more than 3 years &
95,000 km (59,000 miles) of use,
But I did like the flip up feature

sandange said:
I was wondering if there has been any chance to reflect on this arm rest, feed back appreciated.
Funny you should ask, as I was just thinking about getting a third (for Moto) and fourth (for my friend's new used i-MiEV) armrest. I just stuck them into the cupholder and haven't made any mods at all and the only problem is that I keep forgetting that I have this great storage space, in addition to the armrest. Be sure to poke around to get the best price.

I still have not made mine a permanent item. It is in there all the time but if I hit it will my elbow it will 'bend' to the back but not pop out. Unless I hit it really hard, and I also always have the back seat down so maybe that is stopping it from falling totally out of the cup holder.

Still love mine as I need more 'spots' for 'Stuff' that I have in the car all the time.

I DID however have a small issue with the coin-slot thingy. It was frigid cold out and I must have bumped it because it (and only the coin thing) came off. Looks like it is just glued in? I have not put it back and not sure I will. I will be looking over a bunch of little things come Spring when it is warm and easy to get around the car without freezing my fingers off.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064GVRS8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
This is the one I got but there was a promo code or something and I got it for $45. I have seen them for $35 I think.
Well worth the money in my opinion anyway.

I picked mine up on eBay for $37: http://www.ebay.com/itm/351459561304

The armrest has two removable plastic pieces: the coin tray and the 'floor'. Removing the floor allows for using all the internal volume of this armrest. For example, I stick my '12v' Headway LiFePO4 pack in there on long trips to act as an additional power supply for my CaniOn Android tablet:

ArmrestBattStore.jpg

Thanks for the feed back
I already changed my shifter knob for my first arm rest - raised it about 1- 1 1/2 "
So maybe a mod to get it to fit snug in the cup holder might be needed?

I still use the "floor" part. I just keep the stuff that I don't use all the time to store in there (like the LX bluetooth). And then use the 1st level for things I use all the time... gloves, sun glasses.

Someone made a mod to make the thing stay in, Screwed it in? I know it is some where here as I was going to do it but thought I would wait till I had it in longer to see if I wanted it all the time or be able to take it out if needed.

I'm quite comfortable with that armrest just sitting in the cupholder, as it only has a very slight wiggle when forced. I feel this is preferable to having it hard-bolted into place as then a hard whap would break something instead of merely dislodging the armrest. That is a nice hidden compartment under that 'floor' inside the armrest. BTW, I ordered two of these armrests today.

Agreed on not making it permanent, though if someone wanted to use an expanding rubber plug for pipe pressure testing, that worked ok on the armrest that started this thread. I've gotten used to the height without any modification and it'll stay stock for the long term.

tigger19687 said:
Someone made a mod to make the thing stay in, Screwed it in? I know it is some where here as I was going to do it but thought I would wait till I had it in longer to see if I wanted it all the time or be able to take it out if needed.
I did dome hacking on mine. I managed to make it sit down flush with the iMiEV's cup holder - That lowered it about 1 1/2 inches. I through bolted it to the console with a short piece of threaded rod and nuts and washers. It's really firm in there now and the only movement possible is the little side to side between hitting one seat and the other . . . . and the console moves with it. No fore and aft movement at all, no matter how hard you lean on it

Don

Ahhhhh
the spoils of living in the USA

Notice on the Ebay link you posted
"May not ship to Canada"
Mine was 55.73 Canadian dollars including the cost of shipping.
In USD = $ 39.09

Back