First maintenance visit re SRS warning light on dash

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnabyimiev

I had to take my Miev to the dealer for the first time today. The SRS warning light came on on Monday and stayed on for two days. The technician this morning said that he found four "faults" including the SRS one that needed resetting. The technician's explanation was that the 12V battery had been drained too low at one point, probably by leaving an overhead light on all day. He said that if the 12V battery loses its charge, it can cause "all kinds of faults."

Has anyone had a similar experience?

burnabyimiev said:
I had to take my Miev to the dealer for the first time today. The SRS warning light came on on Monday and stayed on for two days. The technician this morning said that he found four "faults" including the SRS one that needed resetting. The technician's explanation was that the 12V battery had been drained too low at one point, probably by leaving an overhead light on all day. He said that if the 12V battery loses its charge, it can cause "all kinds of faults."

When we bought it the 12V battery was dead. We didn't know that at the time. They jumped the car to get it started then charged it for us. I picked it up the day after we paid for it and noticed that light. Next day I looked it up and called them and they said not to drive it. They towed it in and it took a couple of days to get that sorted out with engineers in Japan. They said the jump starting created the problem. Never had a single problem since that episode.

We bought it new and it sat on a lot for a year or so until they dropped the prices in 2013. We just happened to be looking right at that time and the local dealer sold all 20 or so units in a month I think. We got ours for $23,500 out the door. Just got back our tax credit and love the car, but not the safety feel. We're thinking about trading it in for a Fusion Energi (super safety rating).

From the few i-MiEV crashes we've seen on the net, the car does hold up pretty well in a wreck. There's also the small size of the i-MiEV creating a nimble car that can avoid most collisions better than larger vehicles. It also has some of the best brakes I've ever experienced in a vehicle. Regen alone can quickly bring the speed down, but couple that together with front discs, a low center of gravity, and near 50/50 weight distribution, you have a car that can go from 30 mph to 0 in 15 feet. In the winter, losing control on snow is actually a challenge (at least it was for me).

If you are set on trading it, what are you looking to get out of it, and where are you located? I know somebody that really wants one.

In an effort to stay on topic, though, last September my light came on. I called the dealer, set up an appointment to check it out, and it was a bad impact sensor. They reset the light while it was there and it came back mid-October after charging in the rain, though I doubt it was charging related. In December, the part came in and they changed it out. Haven't seen the light since, though I still get a little shock when I glance down and it's on when I start the car (it's the last light to go out on startup).

burnabyimiev said:
IThe technician's explanation was that the 12V battery had been drained too low at one point, probably by leaving an overhead light on all day. He said that if the 12V battery loses its charge, it can cause "all kinds of faults."

Interesting and unfortunate. I haven't gone flat on my 12V, but have used it as the generating end of some very heavy jump-starting. My diesel truck has tired batteries and a fuel system that's losing prime, so often needs a jump after sitting for a few weeks. The i-MiEV does better than a conventional vehicle without a revving engine- I darn near melted one set of cables by leaving 'em connected for too long (never switched off the i-MiEV to keep that dc-dc converter pumping).

Next time this happens I'll try to record how low the house battery goes when pulling out big amps...

Back