Electric Vehicle Charging Etiquette

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that sounds familiar.

Based on Plugshare, he's only charged there two (or three times) in the timeframe shown.

If the Nissan dealers (goes for others, too) don't want the public using them, why don't they put signs on the chargers when they are installed (and properly update the folks answering the phones) on what the policy is? Nothing worse than calling ahead, getting the OK, then getting shown the door 5 minutes after showing up, banking on that charger to make the trip possible.

Personal hotspots and cellular connectivity in nearly all devices sure did away with internet cafes, didn't they? I spent a lot of time at Panera Bread before we got high speed internet at home. There was also this nice little spot right in downtown that seemed to have the fastest internet.

Anyway, at some hope of staying on topic:

1. We should ask before using a dealer's charging equipment. That doesn't always work, as shown in the case above as well as my own account. They may say OK on the phone, but they aren't OK with it when you show up. That's the dealer's own fault, not ours.
2. Wind the cord up nice and neat when done charging. Unless, of course, it's one of those new ChargePoint stations, then it'll do that itself :mrgreen: .
3. Do your part if you use Plugshare. If a station isn't public, mark it restricted. If you had a wonderful experience, let others know by leaving a positive comment.
4. If you talked to somebody that works at/owns the charging station location where you charged up, thank them for the charge. Good relations are priceless.

In a few years, our reliance on public level 2 as a whole will probably decrease as the 2nd generation of EVs, the 200-mile EVs, starting showing up on the roads. Owners will have less of a need to charge locally (and will probably take too long as it is), so we may see a transition from level 2 being dominant to seeing almost nothing but quick chargers.

Back