Main Traction Battery Upgrade i-MiEV

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remove PIN 6 & 7 from BMU
Connect CAN0 of DUE to BMU
Terminate 120ohms
BMU CAN_H |--6-----------------| CAN0_H DUE CAN1_H |-----------ECU

BMU CAN_L --7-----------------|CAN0_L DUE CAN1_L |----------ECU

Connect wires that go to ECU that were in BMU to Due CAN1 No terminator necessary i.e. Pins 6 & 7
I would measure resistance into BMU and to ECU to make sure they are 120 ohms

Last edited:
Remove PIN 6 & 7 from BMU
Connect CAN0 of DUE to BMU
Terminate 120ohms
BMU CAN_H |--6-----------------| CAN0_H DUE CAN1_H |-----------ECU

BMU CAN_L --7-----------------|CAN0_L DUE CAN1_L |----------ECU

Connect wires that go to ECU that were in BMU to Due CAN1 No terminator necessary i.e. Pins 6 & 7
I would measure resistance into BMU and to ECU to make sure they are 120 ohms
Hi piev!
I tried conecting my arduino and I was not succesfull. When i measured resitance into BMU it was 2,8 k ohms and resistance into ECU was 0 ohms. When i conected this setup, the SOC changed, but the car is reporting an error and wont start.
Than you for your help

Piev, I swapped it to switched power yesterday as Mickey suggested and no issues. Tried charging while off and no problems.
It just seems to lose the volt reading when off and gets itself into a catch 22.
I'll run it on switched power for now and see if there are any other issues.

Regards
Blinks
Thanks Blinks I did the same and agree that seemed to fix the issue. Been driving 3 days now with no glitches.
Oh, I also confirmed that The ECU turns on switched power to the BMU during charging

Last edited:
pid 346[3] bit1 - error
pid 346[3] bit4 - turtle
pid 346[3] bit5 - ready
pid 346[3] bit6 - AC plugged
So, trying to understand this.....

0x346 2B 37 51 30 00 00 04 56

Byte 3 = 0x30 or 0011 000 in binary

So , you are saying count bits from right to left?
This says ready with turtle based on my interpretation.

Most of the time byte 3 is equal to 0x20 being just the ready bit on.
When i start the car it says 0x5F I am assuming this is when all the lights flash on start up.

Hi piev!
I tried conecting my arduino and I was not succesfull. When i measured resitance into BMU it was 2,8 k ohms and resistance into ECU was 0 ohms. When i conected this setup, the SOC changed, but the car is reporting an error and wont start.
Than you for your help
Hey bokaj25,

We may need more information than that. Is is an i-MiEV or something else. What year is your vehicle. I haven't looked at the pinouts of every year model. Attached to this message is the schematic for the 2012 i-MiEV. connector c-107 is the connector on the BMU under the back seat. In later models they pu the BMU in the battery. I suspect you are using the wrong pins if you are reading 0 ohms. It should read close to 120 ohms and the BMU measurements sounded correct if my memory is right. So on the side with 2.8k ohms you need a terminating resistor on you can device. You also need to verify that you CAN device is working properly. I connected two separate CAN devices to mine to verify it was capturing the frames and transmitting them correctly before I tried it in the car. Maybe take some pictures of your setup so we can see what you are doing.

Attachments

• Quick charge page 3 - HBT04E00BC00ENG.pdf
    205.8 KB · Views: 3
I tried to assemble a dashboard for C-Zero with a custom design using Nextion HMI. Porsche 356 style))
View attachment 503
That is nice. Are you using the original PID's from the vehicle3 to drive this display? I tried to hook up a MiEV display I have and couldn't seem to power it up. I was going to do something similar and was trying to play around with the idea. Any info you can pass on would be useful

Yes I am using the original dashboard PIDs. I started this project before I even bought the car. It was intended for installation on a replica Porsche 356, on i-miev units. With the outbreak of the war, the customer stopped funding, and I continue to develop it for my car. I use mcp2115+Arduino Nano+Nextion Intelligent 7. I plan to publish a more detailed description when I get 100% working.
I have been creating dashboards and EVs for a long time. Some projects can be seen on my YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/@LexaFrud

Hey bokaj25,

We may need more information than that. Is is an i-MiEV or something else. What year is your vehicle. I haven't looked at the pinouts of every year model. Attached to this message is the schematic for the 2012 i-MiEV. connector c-107 is the connector on the BMU under the back seat. In later models they pu the BMU in the battery. I suspect you are using the wrong pins if you are reading 0 ohms. It should read close to 120 ohms and the BMU measurements sounded correct if my memory is right. So on the side with 2.8k ohms you need a terminating resistor on you can device. You also need to verify that you CAN device is working properly. I connected two separate CAN devices to mine to verify it was capturing the frames and transmitting them correctly before I tried it in the car. Maybe take some pictures of your setup so we can see what you are doing.
Hi piev,

I have a Peugeot ion model year 2015. I already changed original LEV 50 cells to to 90 Ah cells. I tried my Arduino due by conecting CAN 0 and CAN 1 outputs together, it works, so i am prety sure that my device works. I measured a resistance into the ECU and now i get 160 ohms. I conectted my can device betwen pins 6 and 7. I attached a few pictures of my setup.
Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 20240424_175342.jpg
    20240424_175342.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240424_175353.jpg
    20240424_175353.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240424_175414.jpg
    20240424_175414.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 0
Hi,
i runned test code from post #6 and now it works. I think i have some problems with terminator resitor.
Does any final version of code exist so i can try it?
Thank you for your help.

Back