Canion

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"OK, nobody freak out because it really only applies to people doing goofy things (I think). I had the CANION hooked up to the I-MiEV last night and was charging it with my homebuilt quick charger that connects through the Chademo connector. I noticed a couple of things of interest. The purpose was to look at temperature monitor #64 during charging. During the charge cycle the coolant system does not operate because the vehicle charger is not being operated. The temperature of #64 never rose to a high level like it does when using the vehicle charger. It stayed at or below the levels of the adjacent sensors and the temperatures reported were some of the lowest in the Pack. This was what I expected as I also run the pack cooling fan (no A/C) to distribute air in the battery and the airflow is maximum in the area of #64. However, it still surprises me that a coolant line outside the pack that is close (but not in contact) to the external housing can affect one and only one sensor to such an extent. It's almost like #64 is reading coolant temp, not a battery module temperature."

I knew all the time, I knew all the time. I said it a week or two ago, here in this forum. Number 64 gets hotter because of the coolant line outside the pack. It's the only sensor that is very sensitive to it. I knew it all the time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:.

Barbagris said:
Malm said:
Barbagris, how about let me show my own pictures? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It wasn't here! :lol:
Fixed!

(E perdão) :oops:

Feel free to use all of my images. They are made for us all to learn. Just feel it was funny to show it within a difference of seconds. We are i-MiEV, we will find all of it's secrets.

Hi martin/Prius fan

I have a request for canion,.

Can you consider adding feature to cycle the display page by pressing the volume button ?

I find that while driving its hard to accurately switch pages but it would be easy to click the volume button to find a page.

What do you think ?

Don't....

But Siai47, do the other sensors behaved like in a L1 or L2 charge, sensors 8,9 and 14,15 and 20,21 and 41,42 and 47, 48 and 53,54, getting hotter faster???? I don´t understand that behavior :? .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkB2TG-gsvU

I really wasn't paying close attention to the other sensors except nothing looked much different or it would have gotten my attention. I seem to see during any charging event groups of three sensors at a different temperature then the next group of three (with some exceptions). As expected, you can definitely see a drop in temperatures in the modules most affected by the cooling air flow when running A/C into the pack at all times. I am still not sure where the sensors are actually located in the modules. If you look at my pictures of a module with the cover off, you will see a PC board on the top connected to the cells. We have 8 and 4 cell modules and the 8 cell modules seem to use the same PC board with an extender to pick up the information from the additional 4 cells. I can't see anything between the cells that looks like a temperature sensor--that's where six sensors would need to be to monitor 8 cells. The only thing that looks like a possible temperature sensor is near the terminal connections but who knows. Another point I do remember is that the CANION voltage readings during the higher current charge session varied quit a bit between cells when the current was applied and equalized right back to within .005 volts as I dropped the current. This is at odds with the internal charger that (even without the equalizer in operation) keeps the module voltages within the .005 limit during the charge cycle. I think I will take a spare battery module out of my linen closet (that's where anyone should store them) and look again for the sensors.

"As expected, you can definitely see a drop in temperatures in the modules most affected by the cooling air flow when running A/C into the pack at all times" - Sensor 51 the coldest, then the 58, 45, 39, 7, 13. After some time, the one that stays hotter is the 53, always the last to decrease temperature. This is what happens in a chademo charge when charging something like 10A since the beginning of the process.

OK, I went to my linen closet and took out a module which I then dissected. I finally found the temperature thermocouples and they are not where I expected to find them. There are in fact (as we all assumed) six sensors located in the 8 cell module. They a surface mounted to the PC boards that are attached to the cells. They are mounted near the respective terminals of the cells. The sensors are located as follows starting from the most negative terminal. #1 cell -, #2 cell +, #3 cell +, #4 cell none, #5 cell -, #6 cell +, #7 cell none, #8 cell +. This somewhat explains why there appears a grouping of 3 cells a little hotter then the other three. If I remember about thermocouples, they are very, very sensitive to total resistance from the sensor to the measuring device. The #1,2 and 3 thermocouples are located at the far end of the battery on a separate PC board from the remaining three. They have two connectors and a wire run to get to the primary PC board where the other thermocouples are located. This might induce a small measurement error or the problem might be on the primary board where the sensors are located near the various electronic circuits which (along with the balancer resistors) put heat into the PC board and that is reflected in the measurement. In any event, we are getting non-contact temperature readings above the 6 respective cells that are in the module. In the 4 cell module, because it has the primary PC board and not the daughter board installed, the thermocouple arrangement would be the same as #5,6,7, and 8 with #5 being the most negative in the module. Knowing this, the infamous #64 sensor would be installed in the 4 cell module located on the passenger side of the car, on the rear of the negative cell which is closest to the outside edge of the pack. It seems to me that the coolant tubes run closer to the opposite side of the module but who really knows (unless I get restless and get out the borescope).

Thanks Siai47. I´ll assume that the measured heat from the 2 and 3, and the 8 and 9, .... Are because something near them are heating them in the second board, not heat from the cells. That is very good. I knew that this wasn´t related to the refrigeration tubes, only the 64.

One more time, your information was fantastic and i'm learning a lot with you. Thank you.

DonDakin said:
Hi martin/Prius fan
I have a request for canion,.
Can you consider adding feature to cycle the display page by pressing the volume button ?
I find that while driving its hard to accurately switch pages but it would be easy to click the volume button to find a page.....
It will be in the next release....
Martin implemented the thing...
I test it tomorrow...
Xavier

Xavier, Martin,

I have just done a quick test on a AUS spec 2010 I-Miev with OBDLink MX and it appears batt temps and volts are not updated on and still showing random values by default.

Is there a chance that data is not on the CAN on this model?. Apparently there has been some 2010's locally that show, but not mine.

Happy to assist if you need some can bus data capture. Just waiting on Nexus 7 tablet to arrive..

Bonjour,
it seems very strange...
first check if the fps (on the screen, bottom right) it should show around 425...
can you do some screen capture: press on the left panel and get the jpg file in the bt_can folder.
Xavier

Yes will do when I receive my tablet.

Of note a Batman dongle was tried with Sony Experia Z tablet with same result.

If I remember correctly GPS rate was around 405 ...

ok got my tablet....finally....

FPS was around 375 not 405......so something going on here.

No VIN, No batt volts, No batt temps

Any ideas??

Ok
next step: you create in BT_CAN folder a file named "mainlog.txt"
you use canion, you close canion
you get in the BT_CAN folder a file named "log_mainyymmdd_hhmmss.txt"
you send me this file....

Xavier

Happy to report that 118 works with my Galaxy S3.

Do you know/have access to the manufacture dates of your i-MiEV vs. others that report battery voltage and temperatures? Maybe it's something they added later to the same model year, or there is a software update the others' had that you don't.

The vehicle build date is on the tag on the drivers side door post. The battery build date is on a tag on the rear of the battery pack. The tag is on the metal reinforcement plate that protects the battery pack from a rear end collision. If you have a hoist, you can see it from under the car, if not, take off the motor compartment cover and I believe that you can also see it from there. It would be interesting to see battery build dates on the 2014's.

priusfan said:
Ok
next step: you create in BT_CAN folder a file named "mainlog.txt"
you use canion, you close canion
you get in the BT_CAN folder a file named "log_mainyymmdd_hhmmss.txt"
you send me this file....

Xavier

Thanks Xavier....will do

my car was built October 2010 and complianced same month.

Back