Canion

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off what a great app!

I have been thinking considering my Imiev came with the very basic factory stereo (double din cd/radio) I could perhaps replace it with a double din android based stereo and use that to run the Canion app. This would keep everything looking factory and be a all in one package.

The issue I have is finding one with a screen resolution of at least (1280 x 720) and blue tooth that isn't just for( phone calls)

I'm sure they are out there though. Or perhaps I should just integrate a 7" tablet into my dash and install a separate audio amplifier . :?

Kurt

Take a look at the Pioneer electronics website. They have a new "app" radio out that might be just what you are looking for. It would be an awesome way to intergrate the Canion app into the car!

I think the pioneer unit is just for the Iphone apps and Canion is android.

Looking at most of the android based double din units(lots of them on ebay) but they all have 800 x600 screen resolution so not a good match for the Canion app. Another option is to install say a Nexus 7 tablet in a custom mount where the double din head unit usually fits. But its only a mater of time (if they are not out there already ) before we can get a double din android based head unit with 1280 x 720 screens are available.

I will keep looking

Kurt

The OBDLink MX arrived today from Amazon. Installed the Can-ion app onto a Samsung Tab3 8" and it runs perfectly. I feel better now dumping high currents into the pack without knowing what was going on. It also confirmed what I already knew---that ducting cold air from the A/C really helps. In my setup, starting off with 25 degree C ambient air temps, the battery cooled to 23/24 degrees during a 10 KW charge. At 80% I took took the high power charger off and finished with the built in charger. The temps climbed to 30/31 degrees on the standard charge in the same 25 degree ambient. My leased car is sitting in 90 degree heat and just got off the charger. Should be fun to see what the temperature of the leasing company's batteries are. Gotta send some cash to Martian.

siai47 said:
The OBDLink MX arrived today from Amazon.
Hey, same here. Works great. Almost too much info to take in (a good thing). My batteries are very balanced, a few only .005 volts high.

Only improvements would be the text being cut off when coming out of fullscreen, and US metrics (feet,, mph, miles, etc.)

Excellent all the way around.

According to USPS Tracking, my STN1170 was delivered to my rural mailbox last Friday. Unfortunately, the mail from my mailbox (and all my neighbors' mailboxes) was stolen that day! Bummer. Andrew Honecker is out of stock until October. Double bummer! Guess I'll wait, as I'd prefer to support a private entrepreneur like Andy. After 35 years, maybe it's time for a locking mailbox. In the meantime, enjoying looking in on everyone's posts here.

What is the main reason for requiring a minimum of 1280 x 720 screen resolution. Is this resolution min essential? I ask this as there are lots of android double din head units with blue tooth on ebay but they all have 800x600 or so screen resolution. They Would make for a clean all in one solution. Though if they wont run Canion due to screen resolution then that idea is pointless?

2nd idea is a Nexis 7 tablet and just custom mounted in the stock double din stereo location feeding audio into a small 20x4 inline amplifier ;)

Kurt

PV1 said:
.....Only improvements would be the text being cut off when coming out of fullscreen....
what do you mean here ?

and US metrics (feet,, mph, miles, etc.)
this one seems really easy for us (and we will do it someday).

Xavier

Double Din android

Be very carefull.
The resolution should not be a big issue, but the raw power (RAM / CPU) yes.

Most of this chinese DD have a small memory and a slow processor.

A guy in Belgium tried it, only the "very old" canion's releases are working fine.

Xavier

priusfan said:
PV1 said:
.....Only improvements would be the text being cut off when coming out of fullscreen....
what do you mean here ?
On the trip timer mainly, you can double tap to male it fullscreen. When you double tap again to bring it back to normal view, the text doesn't resize correctly, allowing you to only see 2/3 of the text. It could be a resolution issue on my phone (using a Galaxy S Captivate). I'll test it on my S3 to make sure.

Being an old neophyte in new technology, could you tell me if I do the following, I will be able to use this wonderful and useful canion app. ?

I buy a brand new Galaxy Tab 7.0 with androïd 4.1
I buy a OBD Link MX from scantools.net
I download the Canion app on my desk computer.
I transfer this app on the Galaxy tab
I connect the MX into the OBD2 port of my I-MIEV and Galaxy tab
I then get all these useful info from my car computer ?

I suppose all Androïd 4.1 work well like Galaxy Tab 3, Asus memopad 7.0 or 10.1

Pier

Correct. The only thing you missed is to pair the adapter with the tab. To do this:

1. Go to Settings --> Bluetooth (turn it on)
2. Press the button on the OBDLink for about a second until the blue lights flashes rapidly
3. Look for the Scan option on the tab, it may be called Search for Devices.
4. When you see the adapter on the screen, tap on it, then tap Pair (ignore verifying the code)
5. Now open Canion, you may have to select the OBDLink device, but after that, it should be automatic.

When you open Canion, it automatically turns on bluetooth if it was turned off. You'll want to look for a number and fps in the bottom right corner. If it is just a yellow box, it is not connected. Check the adapter to see if any lights are on. If all are off, tap the button to wake it up.

Pier said:
Being an old neophyte in new technology, could you tell me if I do the following, will I be able to use this wonderful and useful canion app?
YES!
The 10 inch screens might be a little big for convenient mounting. The 7" is challenging enough.

Since Honecker is out of stock until October, you could order his STN1170 and put the extra cash into your new high resolution screen tablet. Use the waiting time for mounting and learning your new BlueTooth tablet.

The easiest way to download Canion is through Google Play on the tablet. No desk top computer needed.

If you like the app (I know you will) you can donate to paypal account [email protected]

siai47 said:
I feel better now dumping high currents into the pack without knowing what was going on. It also confirmed what I already knew---that ducting cold air from the A/C really helps. In my setup, starting off with 25 degree C ambient air temps, the battery cooled to 23/24 degrees during a 10 KW charge. At 80% I took took the high power charger off and finished with the built in charger. The temps climbed to 30/31 degrees on the standard charge in the same 25 degree ambient. My leased car is sitting in 90 degree heat and just got off the charger. Should be fun to see what the temperature of the leasing company's batteries are.
I charged my i-MiEV to 100% recently using a Blink DC Fast Charger. I did not need to charge past 80%, but I wanted to charge to 100% to see how a DC charger handles the last 20%.

I selected 100% on the Blink charger, but it shut off after 80% so I had to swipe my Blink InCard again to get it to continue charging. It started, but only charged to 97%. The charging current follows an exponential curve until the charge is complete, but you can see steps in the curve when the current got lower. The battery was charging at about 2kW when the charger shut off.
Charging from 27.5% to 80% (52.5% charge) took about 20 minutes.
Charging from 80% to 97% (17% charge) took about 30 minutes.
Battery temperatures were: 66ºF (at 27.5% charge), 80ºF (at 80% charge), and 81ºF (at 97% charge).
Ambient temperature was about 68ºF during charging,
The AC only ran to cool the battery for a couple minutes, and interestingly the temperature only rose 1ºF for the 30 minutes to get from 80% to 97%.
I'm thinking that since the battery was already so much warmer than the outside ambient temperature it was easy for it to dissipate the heat.
Here is the Amps History screen from Canion.
0suQ2Sa.png

Thank you PV1 and Fiddler for these useful and relevant information. I will do my best to make this work and tell all low-tech folk. Then I will learn how to donate via paypal.

Pier

RobertC said:
I selected 100% on the Blink charger, but it shut off after 80% so I had to swipe my Blink InCard again to get it to continue charging. It started, but only charged to 97%.

Thank you for posting, Robert. This is the first time I've seen record of a >84% charge with the Blink CHAdeMO system. I've posted about this case before where originally I couldn't charge past 40% with my 2012 i-MiEV until Blink carried out a software update to their chargers and I'd also received an update to the software on my i. I've not tested it since Blink began their ill-conceived $5/session fee for DCFC and had assumed it was in the same state.

Are your Blink chargers still free to use?

leec said:
I've not tested it since Blink began their ill-conceived $5/session fee for DCFC and had assumed it was in the same state.
Are your Blink chargers still free to use?
Yes. I paid the Blink $5 per session fee. I actually had to pay it twice since the charger stopped at 80% even though I had selected 100%.

I contacted Blink for a refund and got the following reply:
"Due to unforeseen circumstances, we are unable to provide any refunds at this time. As a result, I have escalated your request to our management team to ensure that when we are able to provide a refund, your case is handled promptly."

I agree that Blink's $5 per DC fast charge session fee does not make sense. You pay $5 whether you charge for 15 minutes or an hour.
I think that a better fee would be to pay for 15 minute increments, maybe $3 for each 15 minutes. As you can see from Canion, the DC fast charger delivers the most kWh in the first few minutes of charging, and delivers much less as the state of charge nears 100%. A 15 minute based fee would encourage electric vehicle drivers to get in and out, and would reduce wait times if there were other electric vehicle drivers waiting to use the charger.

Thanks to FiddlerJohn I now have a STN1170 and tried it with my friend's Sanei tablet and it works! I've ordered a Hisense Sero Pro 7 tablet for myself. So nice to see what's going on inside our Mitsi - love this app! I'm sure we'll have separate threads to discuss the specific readings we find, as I'm already surprised at some of them.

I used Canion to confirm the difference in regenerative braking in D, Eco and B drive modes.
I was on a relatively flat road and took my foot off of the accelerator at 55mph until the i-MiEV reached 25mph.
I ran the test twice to confirm the results, and the last time I came to a complete stop in B mode.
I also tried at some lower speeds and got the same results.
As expected, Canion showed that D mode uses the least regenerative braking, with Eco and B modes using progressively more regenerative braking.

PWv08kr.png

RobertC said:
As expected, Canion showed that D mode uses the least regenerative braking, with Eco and B modes using progressively more regenerative braking.
While we already knew this, it is pretty cool to see the visual evidence! Looking at your graph, RobertC, there is something else I would like to know, and I am hoping you can translate your data for me. You've labeled which drive mode you were in when regen braking was engaged. Can you indicate which drive mode you were in during acceleration back up to 55 mph? I'm interested in seeing the acceleration differences between the modes. Again, we already know how each mode works as far as acceleration is concerned, but I'd love to see the graph of amps drawn over time elapsed.

Back