mcampellone
Forum Supporter

Re: i-MiEV Nightmare and seeking advice please?

Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:25 pm

TobyGadd wrote:Although many people are recommending Canion, it's worth noting that Canion doesn't fully support the 2016 i-Miev. While the HobDrive interface is a bit clunk, it can access and display more information.

Hey, thank you for the tip! Good to know, I will look at HobDrive as well :)

JoeS
Site Moderator

Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:56 pm

mcampellone wrote:- - - Actually, I drove all over today, and when I started the car (was a full charge this morning), it started on 41 miles and of course I temporarily panicked... however after driving all over town today, making sure to always accelerate as far into the LEFT of the ECO section (slow take-offs), and using regenerative braking all day (I never really had to use the brake pedal today), I was very surprised to see that when I finally pulled into my garage tonight, it shows that I only used ONE MILE of range, yet I had easily driven a total of 20 miles when I check my trip odometer! Woo hoo!...
Good start. If you drove 20 miles and started fully charged, after 20 miles you'd be down to somewhere around 11 bars. Be very interesting to see what your RR will be after fully charging tonight. You might have a notepad handy to jot down the pertinent numbers, all in the interest of science. :geek:

TobyGadd, thank you for reminding us that CaniOn had some issues with the 2016. I need to review that CaniOn thread again. The two critical parameters for Michael at this point in time are individual cell voltages and pack Ah capacity.

Here's a comparison (a bit dated) between CaniOn and Hobdrive:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4279

Here's the monster CaniOn thread:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1762
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

PV1
Site Moderator

Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:04 am

Good to hear. As you acclimate to the car and as the car gets driven regularly, range should definitely improve.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015
"Photon" - 2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

TobyGadd

Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:21 pm

[i]
JoeS wrote:TobyGadd, thank you for reminding us that CaniOn had some issues with the 2016. I need to review that CaniOn thread again. The two critical parameters for Michael at this point in time are individual cell voltages and pack Ah capacity.

Unfortunately, CaniOn doesn't report Ah on 2016 i-Mievs. HobDrive does though.
2016 i-Miev ES, Blue
2016 i-Miev ES, White

mcampellone
Forum Supporter

Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:51 pm

Just a quick update :)

My last full charge was done Sunday night. You already saw my post from what occurred Monday after driving. Then, yesterday, even though I drove all around, range showed that I used one mile! Well, again - still have not charged at ALL since Sunday night..... but.....

I woke up this morning, and range showed 40 miles. When I arrived to work, when I stopped the car and went into the building, the range showed 41 miles (an INCREASE of one mile!). Then, tonight, when I left the office, I made one extra stop a little out of the way, but when I got home, my range had increased to 45 miles!

Here is a little bit of an experiment I have been trying, and wow does it make a difference...

- I only drive down residential/surface streets to and from my office, and to all destinations. No highway/freeway driving.
- I only use the FAN on the inside of the cabin, no other air cooling or anything.
- I only drive in "B" mode.
- When accelerating, I gently ease the vehicle up to the speed limit (usually 25 on residential streets, but the fastest part of road I travel on is 35 mph), and when I accelerate it is very gently, so that the needle never goes past the "O" in the word "ECO" on the dash...
- When approaching all stops and lights, I allow AMPLE time to release the accelerator pedal, and use regenerative braking a LOT. I find that for most if not all of my driving, I hardly ever have to use ANY brake at all.... real one-pedal driving. Very relaxing! :)

So with these new habits over the past couple of days, it seems that the car is ?recalculating? the range possibly? No matter what, I think I am just paying really good attention to the amount of charge on the battery versus the range... Again I parked tonight, and I am not plugged in. I seem to still have used only about 20% of the little bars in the battery charge (only shows 20% or so missing from the top)... so plenty still. I think with these driving habits, and no far-away excursions LOL, my charging should easily be only needed every week... But I am really pleased. And when I pulled up tonight and gained 5 miles in range since this morning, I just smiled.

As far as the large 9-inch touchscreen head unit and dash kit... I have already become fully familiar with the wiring in the dash, and I have done these countless times. However, Scoche wants $300 for the dash kit (just to end up looking like the dash did with i-MiEV models that already had the 7" touch screen in it), and then the head unit, and other costs.... I decided for an alternative, since my goal has nothing to do with music and everything to do with apps/tech/fun stuff. I am using a small form factor professional tablet mount, I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab from Best Buy today, I am putting all my apps that I love onto it (Google Maps, other items for driving,) and I did get BOTH of the mentioned OBDII apps that you guys suggested, but I am just waiting on the bluetooth OBDII module to come from Amazon, and when mounted on this neat clean orderly mount, the dash looks extremely tech... very cool. I replaced the Samsung TouchWiz interface with a really fantastic Car Launcher, which looks terrific with the Mitsubishi Logo and the blue accent lighting to match the outside paint color. Basically, in the end, I got all the tech stuff that I wanted, without being invasive on the existing dash or stereo. Plus, I can pop the tablet off the mount any time I go somewhere and it is fully 4G enabled with telephony as well. Hooray :)

Thank you ALL again so very much for all the terrific information, and the hearty welcome - I am so happy that I found this forum.

I hope you are all having a terrific night!

Warm regards,

Michael

JoeS
Site Moderator

Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:48 am

So far, so good...

You haven't been telling us how miles you've covered with each leg.

For this first week, I'm surprised you're not recharging fully overnight to -

a) Do a little cell balancing
b) See what your fully fully charged RR number is (curiosity would be killing me)

We have a maxim here on this forum: "Range is whatever you need it to be"

Here is just one of a number of threads on hypermiling the i-MiEV

After a lifetime of being a leadfoot, I came to the i-MiEV after a decade of hypermiling my Gen1 Honda Insight (lifetime >77mpg). I eventually realized that "nobody was watching" (unlike the Insight which showed a lifetime mpg), so I returned to my leadfootin' ways, but occasionally do utilize my hypermiling finesse when needed - a great skill to have.

After taking meticulous consumption readings for over 8000 miles, I can definitively state that my vehicle's average consumption rate is 238Wh/mile (4.2 miles/kWh, or 14.8kWh/100km), with minimal heating or aircon use. Ref: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=403&p=5744#p5744

Michael, I think you are perhaps seeing some of the results that efficient driving can bring you.

I'm curious what type of a tablet mount you have ended up with, as there are a number of variations shown here on this site?
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)

Don
Site Moderator

Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:56 am

mcampellone wrote:Here is a little bit of an experiment I have been trying, and wow does it make a difference...

- I only drive down residential/surface streets to and from my office, and to all destinations. No highway/freeway driving.
- I only use the FAN on the inside of the cabin, no other air cooling or anything.
- I only drive in "B" mode.
- When accelerating, I gently ease the vehicle up to the speed limit (usually 25 on residential streets, but the fastest part of road I travel on is 35 mph), and when I accelerate it is very gently, so that the needle never goes past the "O" in the word "ECO" on the dash...
- When approaching all stops and lights, I allow AMPLE time to release the accelerator pedal, and use regenerative braking a LOT. I find that for most if not all of my driving, I hardly ever have to use ANY brake at all.... real one-pedal driving. Very relaxing! :)

So with these new habits over the past couple of days, it seems that the car is ?recalculating? the range possibly? No matter what, I think I am just paying really good attention to the amount of charge on the battery versus the range... Again I parked tonight, and I am not plugged in. I seem to still have used only about 20% of the little bars in the battery charge (only shows 20% or so missing from the top)... so plenty still. I think with these driving habits, and no far-away excursions LOL, my charging should easily be only needed every week... But I am really pleased. And when I pulled up tonight and gained 5 miles in range since this morning, I just smiled.

As I mentioned earlier, how and where you drive has more to do with the range you'll get than anything . . . . and you're seeing proof of that

Yes, the car is 'recalculating' . . . . sort of - What you see on your RR display is a calculation based on the energy you used to drive the past 15 miles. You started out with 40 RR and you drove gently for 20 miles - Your new RR shows how far you might go on the remaining amount of energy left in the pack *assuming* you're going to continue to drive like you drove the previous 15 miles . . . . and so on. Yes, it's possible for the RR to go UP as you drive. Yes, it's entirely possible for you to go 90 or 95 miles on a single charge if you keep doing what you're doing. You CAN use the A/C when you need it . . . . it doesn't hog lots of energy, maybe only cutting range by 15% or so. The same can't be said for the heater though :(

You're learning to drive an EV and you're getting better at it everyday - It can be fun to see how far you can stretch one battery charge. It's something we all go through with our first EV experience and it builds confidence as we learn how to make the most of the energy in the battery. Most of all, it *really* lessens any 'range anxiety' most first timers experience . . . . and you had a bunch of that earlier, wondering if you would make it back home. "If there's any doubt about you making it to where you're going . . . . slow down!" With these cars, range is what you make it . . . . they will go a long ways when the need arises if you driven them intelligently

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon

TobyGadd

Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:55 pm

I'm sure that this has already been said by others, but WIND is the biggest enemy of achieving predictable mileage for me. On the front range of Colorado, we frequently have heavy winds blowing from the west--which means that that I often have TERRIBLE mileage on my drive to work, and then AMAZING mileage on the way back home. Even a little wind makes a big difference. Side winds seem as bad as headwinds!

Other things that I've found (nothing new to old-hands on this forum):

Elevation is a factor. Even though there's not much elevation difference, it seems that it's enough to significantly alter range.

Wet and/or snowy roads suck a lot of juice. When it's safe to do so, I try to keep my wheels out of the wet "ruts" which helps.

Temperature reduces range--even when not using the heater. Using the heater is insanely bad for range. I use the remote to pre-heat in the winter when the car is plugged in--which is awesome, especially with my new L2 Clipper Creek charger. Heated seats don't seem to reduce range as much as I would expect, so I sometimes use them when the pre-heat wears off on longer trips. I wish the temperature dial had better tactile feedback so that "off" was more obvious, as even one click kills range.

AC isn't too bad. Warm weather is good for range, so a little AC brings the car back to "normal" compared to colder weather. I've pondered whether open versus closed windows make a difference, but I don't feel like I've seem anything really definitive. On warmer days, I open the driver-side window a few inches, and the right-side rear passenger window about the same--which seems to make a nice draft without a lot of noise and flutter.

Tire pressure makes a difference, but not as much as I would have expected. I keep my tires at about 38 which feels good. I've read that different tire brands make a big difference, but I run stock tires.

Speed is obviously a big factor--as is acceleration, braking, etc. A nice even speed of around 40-45 typically gives me great range. I hate the way the car drives at Interstate speeds (75 MPH in Colorado), so I always take back roads. Trying not to engage the brake pads while stopping (aside from the last little bit) is good--although I suspect that keeping the needle between regen and power when slowing down gradually might give me the best range (I don't have any hard evidence for this though).

RR is fickle, although still useful once you learn what it means. After driving 16 miles downhiill with a tailwind on a warm day, it'll report 80+ miles after a full charge. On a cold day with a headwind, it'll report 40 miles. Once you understand how to factor in all of the variables, it's surprisingly useful though.

Headlights, radio, etc. seem pretty insignificant. I'm sure that others have tested this, but I've never noticed a significant difference in range.

After driving my i-Mieve for almost two years, I've really stopped paying as much attention to conditions as I used to--which sometimes leaves my with rather unexpected range--for better and for worse! Always amusing to hop in the car and see a range of 86. Sometimes bewildering to see one of 36.
2016 i-Miev ES, Blue
2016 i-Miev ES, White

mcampellone
Forum Supporter

Tue May 05, 2020 6:24 am

Greetings to everyone here on the forum! I wanted to post an update to my experiences with the car since first acquiring it.

First off, I love it. I have learned that I was stressing, basically, over nothing. My driving habits are pretty much the same every day - leave my garage, drive to my office downtown, maybe the market, then home. I do this every day Monday through Saturday. If I ever need to go on a longer drive or out of town, I just take the "gas-burning horrible fossil-fuel eating" sedan LOL. I bought this as an experiment to see how I would like driving an electric car, and I can honestly say I love it. My very next luxury sedan will definitely be an all-electric with longer range.

I really was stressing over nothing on the range aspect. I have now settled into a great routine. On my instrument cluster, I keep the right-side circle always on "external temperature", which is nice and calming LOL - I never, ever look at range. Every week, after my six days of driving, I always have between 4 to 5 little "blocks" left on the charge indicator on the left. Then, I make Sunday my day to plug in and charge (12 amp setting), and by Monday morning when I leave and unplug, I am refreshed and ready to go.

I have found that our temperatures here in Little Rock have varied quite a lot, plus our pollen counts have been very high, and with my allergies that would be disastrous to drive with windows open. So, I always have them tightly shut. And I have found whether I use the vent fans, the air conditioner/climate control, the stereo etc. - that my end results each week are always the same... 4 or 5 little blocks left of charge.

If I had only done this from the beginning, I would have saved myself so much stress. And I believe more than one of you advised me to "pay attention to the battery charge indicator, not the range" as the more important thing to keep an eye on. And I thank you!

So, I wish to thank all of you so much for making my "easing into an electric vehicle" so pleasant and welcoming. I appreciate it more than you know!

Warmest regards to all,

Michael

JoeS
Site Moderator

Fri May 08, 2020 10:47 am

Michael - Thanks for the update. I know quite a few people who, after owning their first EV, swear they'll never go back to ICE...

So, what is the highest RR (Range Remaining) number that you have achieved, as it seems you fully charge your car on Sundays?

Let's see, six days and four bars left means two bars/day. With a commute that short I'd be inclined to walk or ride a bicycle :twisted: :-)

Still going to work with all this pandemic sequestration?

Don't give up on that RR display as it's a great adjunct to the fuel gauge. Over the years there has been some question about the fuel gauge's linearity; for example, some have noted that you can drive further when going from 16 bars to 15 bars than any other interval, and at the bottom end we often perceive it running out of bars sooner than expected. The RR, once you understand it, can be a great reality check.

Once you're comfortable, try taking some longer trips as you'll find them eminently doable and less expensive even with the current low gasoline prices.

Why I Don't Have Range Anxiety

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”