New owner

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackbelt

Hi to all. I just bought a 2012. I don't know a lot about the car but am reading as much as i can. It has 27K miles on it and is in nice shape. I have not done anything yet, haven't even charged it but the previous owner did have it charged up for me. I have been reading a little on this forum and the OBC issues are a little concerning. Is this something that happens to every I, or just some? Is it tied to climate, miles, etc? This isn't my first EV, i had a 2017 BMW I3 that i bought used in January of 2021. Sold it to Carvana in MArch 2022 because they made me a killer offer.

Welcome to the forum

I have always considered an I3 as a potential upgrade from my I-MIEV, so I’m curious why you went the opposite way.

The most common issues with our cars are related to traction battery degradation and OBC problems, unfortunately the older the car the more likely you will encounter them.

Not a lot one can do to prevent OBC failing aside from making sure your 12V aux battery is in good condition and avoid AC charging in extreme temperatures. Anecdotal evidence also suggest low charging currents can prolong OBC life.

Mickey

Thanks Mickey. The main reason we sold the I3 was the offer that Carvana made to buy it was over $6,000 more than we paid for it a year earlier. It was the middle of the pandemic and it wasn't being used much, it mostly sat in the garage. We have a Jeep Renegade and a Toyota Prius C so my wife said to sell the I3. That was in March of 2022.
Fast forward to this summer. My wife mostly drives a 1995 Suzuki Alto Works RHD turbo Kei car. Being retired she doesn't do a lot of driving. We took the Alto and my Z-3 Roadster to a fathers day car show, and it is there she spotted an I MiEV. She loved it so i promised I would try to find one for her. That is how we ended up with the one we just bought. It needs a detail pretty badly. It's in good shape, just needs a deep cleaning, buffing, claybar, polish etc. The people we bought it from have owned it since 2016 and told me they have never fast charged it. It was kept in a heated garage in the winter and not driven on salted roads. I think the range is currently in the mid 50's. I will know better once it is driven and charged a few times.

Ok, makes perfect sense now…

I would invest in a new 12V aux battery and charge it for a full day before replacing it, based on the low mileage of the car and to protect the ageing OBC.

As there is no built in diagnostics it is highly recommend to get yourself an OBD tool to check the current status of the traction battery, see recommendations below

https://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4936

Mid 50 range seems a bit on the low side, it’s very possible that the calculated capacity value is off, a battery calibration might improve things (discharge below two bars and then use granny charger to re-charge fully in one go)…

For a more in-depth explanation see below
https://www.goingelectric.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77581&start=20

Last but not least, be prepared to see quite a drop in range during winter, unlike the I3 there is no pre-heating function while plugged in (unless you’re one of the lucky ones that have the optional extra remote)

Mickey

Lucky for me the 12V is only a few months old. I am guessing at the range, but new they were rated for 62 so at 11+ years old i would be thrilled with mid 50's.
Thanks for the links i will read them in depth after work. I have a bluetooth OBD that i used when i had bimmercode for my I3 (changed a number of things with it, awesome app.)
It won't see a ton of winter use as we have a Jeep Renegade 4x4 with winter tires on it for winter travel. Plus i am hoping to keep it in my garage during the winter. Problem is the garage is occupied with her 95 Alto and my Z3 roadster. I need fewer bedrooms and more garages!

Blackbelt said:
It won't see a ton of winter use as we have a Jeep Renegade 4x4 with winter tires on it for winter travel. Plus i am hoping to keep it in my garage during the winter. Problem is the garage is occupied with her 95 Alto and my Z3 roadster. I need fewer bedrooms and more garages!
You might be surprised, Blackbelt. Remote preheating and awesome RWD torque control has seen MR BEAN climb past many frosty jeeps n subies that stayed on their summer rubbers...

My wife regularly breaks trail up our regionally-known "South Hill" after overnight snowfall during her graveyard shift...

Being in hilly Western PA, i have long ago learned my lesson about the proper tires for the job. My Jeep Renegade 4x4 always runs winter tires between November and April. Since my wife and I are both now retired, the Jeep serves as our primary vehicle when the snow flies. I did run my Toyota Prius C with 4 winter tires when i was working. It was amazing in the snow with the Winterforce tires on it.

Back