Seeking Quality and Affordable Maintenance for I-Miev in Raleigh/Durham Area

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuthbertdavies

I am delighted with my 2014 I-Miev, which looks brand new despite having 26,000 miles on it. However, I am aware that eventually, it will require maintenance. Can anyone recommend a reputable and reasonably priced service provider for I-Mievs? I doubt the Mitsubishi Dealership would be suitable; they may not take my vehicle seriously. I've heard that some GM dealerships are servicing Teslas, which is intriguing. I reside in the Raleigh/Durham NC area, with zip code 27519. Additionally, I am in need of two rear headrests, so if anyone has any available, please let me know.

@cuthbertdavies, welcome to the forum.

Maintenance, what's that? Things like checking fluid levels (under the hood and under the rear lid), tire pressure, and windshield wiper blade condition you can do yourself. Whenever you get your tires replaced you can ask the tire shop to check your brakes and suspension and do a general inspection under the car. Otherwise, see what the manual says as most any shop should be able to help you out.

The most important component for avoiding future issues is the 12v battery. On a cold morning before ever starting the car simply measure the battery voltage (directly at the battery) using a known calibrated voltmeter and if it reads below about 12.2vdc you might consider replacing the 12v battery as a preventative measure.

Anyone else have suggestions?

@martinwinlow, I enjoy your website and thank you for providing the tables. Yes, I forgot to mention the cabin air filter - although I've replaced it in the past, I now just blast it clean with some compressed air and put it back. I check the brake fluid with test strips and, to date, have not detected any moisture incursion (I also live in a dry climate). The gearbox oil replacement is on my list of things to do this Spring...

Ok, it happened. I officially have a charging problem on my 2014 I-Mieve 29k miles now. The car is and runs like new otherwise and I love driving and parking it daily to work. I still have not found a "good" place to have the car repaired in my Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area. I have diagnosed the easy things so far and only found a subtle smoke/melted plastic smell in the DCDC box on the driver side rear of the car, though I have looked very carefully and both ceramic fuses seem ok and no capacitors or other board spots appear melted, over heated, or otherwise compromised. I have not taken the full board out of the DCDC to look under that, though I don't know what I would check for there exactly if I did pull it and there are many many screws to do it. Attached are some pics. Thank you in advance for any good referrals in my area for repair or instructions on what exactly to check next and where in the DCDC or elsewhere.

Attachments

• 0419241925_HDR.jpg
    0419241925_HDR.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 0419241925a_HDR.jpg
    0419241925a_HDR.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 0419241926_HDR.jpg
    0419241926_HDR.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 0419241928_HDR.jpg
    0419241928_HDR.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 0419241929_HDR.jpg
    0419241929_HDR.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 0419241930_HDR.jpg
    0419241930_HDR.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 0
What trouble codes/error messages are showing up? DTCs can be read with an OBDII scan tool or dongle with a phone app.

What are the symptoms, sounds and lights when you plug in to charge?

Use a higher resolution to take pictures and post them--can't see any details with the low res stuff.

Back