Will Mitsubishi continue to sell in North America?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerHalifax

Hello,
I am considering buying an iMiev in Nova Scotia, but I have a concern that Mitsubishi may withdraw from North America. If they go, what will happen to parts availability and service? I'm interesting in hearing opinions about whether they will continue to sell cars in Canada and the US. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear that you are considering the i-MiEV.

Mitsubishi seems to be trying to reinvent themselves as a 100% plugin vehicle manufacturer. They are going to be taking their Outlander and Outlander Sport and making them either plugin hybrid or electric, the Lancer is starting to go away (the EVO is nearly done, with final editions being built), the Mirage will be staying around for a bit, and nobody knows what will become of the i-MiEV. According to Wikipedia, Mitsubishi has a contract with PSA to deliver 100,000 jellybeans to Peugeot and Citroen. I don't believe they are anywhere near that, especially with battery production having priority to the Outlander PHEV. The i-MiEV will be in the US at least until the Outlander PHEV is released (California compliance).

Hello Roger, we had the same concerns as you before buying are new 2016 iMiEV.

Personally I don't think service or part availability will be a problem for the life of the car.

We had the choice between the 2016 Leaf and the 2016 iMiEV and we decided to go for the little iMiEV.

We use the car exactly as it was intended (max round trips of <= 90 km), mix highway, secondary roads, city commuting.

It's a great little car, that continues to impress.

Brian

P.S. We had an older Suzuki Grand Vitara, and we had zero issues when they left the Canadian market. No change is service or part availability.

Thanks for your replies.

How does that work -- if Mitsubishi leaves Halifax, or Canada altogether, how is service and parts looked after?

They would most likely provide approved service centres, and parts would be ordered via Mitsubishi directly.

Some type of structure will be setup to provide the support needed.

I wouldn't worry much about it.

Everybody worried about Suzuki when they left the North American market, but nothing really changed, and life went on.

Brian

wait... Suzuki left north America?

:shock:

better let my mom know, she's still driving one... :mrgreen:

better let the guys at the Suzuki/Mitsubishi car lot down the street know about that as well... (come to think if it, it did seem like all the new cars I noticed were Mitsubishi)

Back