Texas Tinting

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricAvenue

It is getting up to the 100 degree mark in the next couple of days so we had the MiEV tinted last week.
1000811_548350991867426_518984290_n.jpg

19914_548350941867431_325824830_n.jpg

5962_548350945200764_783450077_n.jpg

1044186_548350948534097_1655772418_n.jpg

To meet inspection code we had Sun Shades put a "Eyebrow" on the front windshield.

Nice! My i-MiEV's temperature readout has already shown 100°F several times this year in Dallas. If I wasn't leasing it, I would get tint on my car. It took nearly full-fan A/C to keep the cabin cool in the afternoon heat/sun.

I'm loving the cat-bus graphic. Keep Austin weird! :D

A white car will be cooler (less hot!) in the sun than a dark color car, all else being equal. The heat reflectivity (aka albedo) of the roof and the other metal panels has a strong effect on the heat gain on the inside. A low-e coating - which is a ultra-thin metallic coating that blocks infrared light (aka heat) to come through the glass would be even better than regular tinting. Dark tinting blocks visible light, which when it hits the interior surfaces becomes infrared, so that is how it certainly does help.

Interestingly, that thin metallic coating could also be the direct heating defroster on the windshield. A single solution for two purposes - sounds like a win-win to me!

NeilBlanchard said:
A white car will be cooler (less hot!) in the sun than a dark color car, all else being equal. The heat reflectivity (aka albedo) of the roof and the other metal panels has a strong effect on the heat gain on the inside. A low-e coating - which is a ultra-thin metallic coating that blocks infrared light (aka heat) to come through the glass would be even better than regular tinting. Dark tinting blocks visible light, which when it hits the interior surfaces becomes infrared, so that is how it certainly does help.

Interestingly, that thin metallic coating could also be the direct heating defroster on the windshield. A single solution for two purposes - sounds like a win-win to me!

Up here in the cold north, we'll take all the heat we can get. It's only three months of the year we have to deal with any kind of 'heat'.

NeilBlanchard said:
A low-e coating - which is a ultra-thin metallic coating that blocks infrared light (aka heat) to come through the glass would be even better than regular tinting.
My wife's 2014 Jeep Compass Latitude has that. You can notice is most inside the car -- the windows have a slight bronze tint. Inside the car, even in the Texas heat, is quite manageable.

Our film is a 3M Ceramic Series which blocks 80% of the sun's heat-producing infrared light and 59% of the heat coming through your windows. These films also block 99% of harmful UV rays.
Or says the POP propaganda.

Back