Snowflake Symbol on Dash

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmarcucio

My wife drives my i-MiEV most of the time and twice now she said a chime sounded and a snowflake symbol on the dash appeared above the estimated range. When this happened the first time she said she noticed the regeneration mileage was adding on mileage to quickly when she let off the accelerator pedal. The next day it was fine and stayed fine for about a week. Today it happened again but she was almost to her destination and didn't have the opportunity to check the regeneration mileage to see if it was going crazy again. I thought maybe it was just the cold temperature warning for icy conditions but the temperature outside was about 40 degrees. Checking the owner's manual it shows this symbol to be the AC/Heater system and fuse. I checked the 10 AMP A/C fuse and that's ok. Anyone have this happen to them? If so what was the outcome?

Vike said:
That is the low outside temperature warning as you suspected. It alerts the driver well above freezing.

But isn't it supposed to go out after alerting you? The owners manual says at approx 37 degrees F it will chime and flash quickly I think 3 times. It doesn't go out it stays on. I don't have the manual in front of me my wife has the car with the manual.

The snowflake is a warning for cold temperatures and potential ice. I haven't noticed anything strange with estimated range, but I did notice a change in regenerative braking force in cold temperatures. It was around 40 degrees Fahrenheit, but I don't think the snowflake was lit. It seemed weaker at higher speeds (45-50 mph), but got increasingly stronger during deceleration.

The chime should be two sets of two beeps when the snowflake comes on, flashing at first, then going solid on.

It stays on while the temperature is at or below the set freezing temperature (37F?), it doesn't go off. Never noticed any difference with the regen while this symbol was on. It may actually be the traction control, the car is sensing slippery conditions on the road - i.e. black ice? You don't want heavy regen during slippery conditions. The traction control is very responsive and works extremely well on this car.

Thank you very much!!! This forum is great! I am used to my Chevy Volt and most of the other cars I have owned where it warns you of "Ice Possible" and then the warning goes away. As long as I know there is no problem with it staying on then I can look forward to it being on all winter because it's usually below 37 degrees most of the winter in my neighborhood.
Thanks, mind at ease.

MLucas said:
It may actually be the traction control, the car is sensing slippery conditions on the road - i.e. black ice? You don't want heavy regen during slippery conditions. The traction control is very responsive and works extremely well on this car.
I agree that heavy regen is not wanted on slippery roads, but what I've noticed with the capped regen is on dry roads with minimal bending. This was around 75% (12-14 bars), so wasn't the usual reduction because of high SoC.

No doubt that regen will cut out (or down) with wheel slip, I've felt it do that, but it is just a large reduction in regen, regardless of speed.

I'll have to measure with Canion to see what it is doing.

Back