New Owner

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougC

Hello all,

I just brought home a 2012 i-Miev. Bought it on ebay from a nearby dealer. I've been reading around the forum and have a couple of questions.

The car only came with one key fob and no remote. Having read various threads, I was aware that the remote is very pricey. The dealer quoted me $812 plus whatever the service department charges to program it. I would think there is no other way to go to get the remote.

But as far as the key fob, I see they are on ebay for cheap. The dealer wants $184 plus $75 to program. Is the ebay option realistic? I'd still have to have it programmed by the dealer.

Doug

Congrats, and welcome.

I purchased two i-MiEVs, the first one new, and the second one used. The used one, like yours, didn't include the MiEV remote, but did have both keys. I haven't bothered to get a new remote yet as the second car isn't driven much right now, and yes, they are pricey last I checked.

I suppose a key fob from eBay would work, as long as it looks the same and is listed compatible. I would hope the dealer wouldn't give you any trouble as to where you got the key and program it, no problem. If you want to be sure, then go through the dealer to get the key.

Like many of us, you'll probably find the car to be an excellent vehicle, but they are dependent on the dealer more so than other vehicles if an issue does come up, even for something as trivial as a dead 12 volt battery. Sure, a quick jump gets it going again no problem, but a light does come on in the gauge cluster that requires the dealer to clear it. You know, fun little stuff like that. :lol: :roll:

Thanks for the welcome.

Another question, is there any way to preheat/cool without the remote? I guess I could just put the key in and turn on the heat. But would that use the battery power or the charger power?

I have a level 2 charged on order from clipper creek as of this afternoon.

I'm "upgrading" from a 1996 Solectra Force that I've been driving for 9 months, so the power, heater, and comfort are much better in the i.

Unfortunately, no. The i-MiEV won't allow use of the heat or AC unless the READY light is on or you use the remote. The fan will work, though.

Welcome to the forum, Doug!

We need to source some info on key fob programming - The dealer charges $75 to do this for you only because he has a minimum labor charge, usually a half hour. A simple 2 minute exercise is billed for $75!

Our other cars are Mazdas and the info on programming the key fobs is available on-line and also from several different Mazda owners forums. I've done the programming many times over the years and it's really simple . . . . if I worked at a dealership, I couldn't sleep nights charging anyone $75 for doing this simple procedure

A quick check shows the info for other Mitsu models is available on-line

http://club4g.org/board/2006-2012-eclipse-general-4g/75097-how-program-new-key-fob-explained.html

I don't know if this procedure will work for the iMiEV or not, but if not, the procedure is going to be something very similar and this is the sort of info we need to post here, once we find it . . . .

Don

Thanks Don.

That's interesting. I looked up the Mitsubishi OBD-II pin out and 4 is ground and 1 diagnostics.

I just received my OBDLink LX so I will try the first of that sequence and see if I get the door locks toggling. I wonder if linking the remote is similar?

*Edit.
Reading further in that link, that programming sequence may not program the chip in the fob to start that car, only the remote unlock.

Back