Charging with humidity

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricAvenue

At work with the i-MiEV plugged in and it's getting a little damp outside (30 % chance of rain).
I looked around but didn't see any posts relating to the old musical "Charging in the Rain" ...

Very good point. I have not had to do it but certainly do not feel comfortable to the idea of touching the EVSE plug if wet.

I know that the charger box is well insulated but the original plugs in Switzerland look rather normal. I changed it for a more water resistant one designed for outside use.

The box is inside and dry and the cord runs out to the i-MiEV. Another thought is our old (1925) little (695 sq ft) house only has a car port so I'll have to be considering charging in inclement weather ...

Charging in the rain is perfectly safe

The EVSE never has any power coming from it until *after* it communicates with the car to determine that everything is ready for charging to begin - Anytime you have the plug in your hand, there is no voltage or current present . . . . you'll never shock yourself handling a wet EVSE plug. Keep the cover on it when not in use, and don't open the inside protective cap on the car socket until you're ready to plug it in. Keeping both those as dry as possible is a good idea, but don't worry about getting shocked standing in a puddle of water - That won't happen

This is one of the many things the J-1772 protocol had to address - Recharging must be 'idiot-proof' or someone, somewhere could get hurt which would give all EV's a bad name, so . . . . they're definitely smarter than their owners :lol:

Don

Don said:
Charging in the rain is perfectly safe
This is one of the many things the J-1772 protocol had to address - Recharging must be 'idiot-proof' or someone, somewhere could get hurt which would give all EV's a bad name, so . . . . they're definitely smarter than their owners :lol:

Don

I'll drink to that! :lol:

I have been charging in snow and rain. I guess I survived or I could not use a keyboard :lol:

Oh, I did have headaches but no, I never got a shock and now I do trust J1772.

Back