2012 Peugeot Ion in Ukraine - interesting experience

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher

Hello everyone!
I want to tell my story :)
I`ve neve considered an electric car for myself. Always was sure that I need a car to rely on - and electric ones were not in the list.
But things have changed. I think You all heard of war in our country. And we all have to do our best to get an advance in this horrible competition.
So, me and my business partner had a request from our fighters to build a lightweight electric buggy for frontline operations. We considered different options and came to an idea to buy a chiepest electric vehicle to use it as a donor of components. And kind people from western part of our country helped us to find such a donor-car. It was a 2012 Peugeot Ion from Norway with body damages, but technically working. So, I bought it. But, the concept of our project changed - we needed low weight wehicle with fast changeable battery. And we are now close to the aim. And as the Ion was no longer needed for the project and was in unappropriate cosmetic condition to sell it, I`ve decided to ride it as a second car.
And as can be expected, I liked it! It is suprisingly cheap - 10% of costs for my LPG car for 100km ride. It is convinient in the city: easy parking etc.
Main problems were:
- it is not charging in our public chargers with Type1 plug, but charges on some (not all) Chademo
- have problems with heater - it randomly switches off, so I bought and installed diesel air heater
- poor battery health - only 67%
But I`m still happy with my "new" car and it`s perfomance. Since september i drove about 6000km on Ion and only 300 on my LPG car :)

Attachments

• Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Front1.jpg
    Front1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1
  • LeftSide.jpg
    LeftSide.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 1
@Fisher, thank you for sharing your story. A diesel cabin heater has been popular over the years and should serve you well. Delighted the Ion is meeting your needs. Understand that you're using CHAdeMO (with some stations not compatible), but does your ac charger not work at all? Presumably your 12v battery is properly being charged by the car(?). Wish you all the best with your other important EV project, which also relieves you of the need to deal with this car's electronics. Слава Україні!

Героям слава!
Thank You! Really, one of the main reasons to change the project was complicated electronics.
Diesel heater is really good, comparing to original I-MIEV cabin heater. I also will try to install 1 kW dry electric heater (like in some diesel cars - Outlander etc.) - there is even a place for it in the heater assy (it can be seen from inside when glove box removed). But it`ll be in spring, when it`ll be warmer.
About the AC charger: it works perfect with home charger, but not with public chargers. And, as I know, in our country this is the problem with most similar cars, produced before 2015. I-MIEVs, Ions and CZeros of 2015 make and newer can charge with no problems. I think it is a problem with old charging stations, which were adjusted prior to charge Nissan Leaf that was wery popular in taxi services. New stations seem to charge older I-MiEVs through Type1 plug, but they are not available in my region (Kharkiv).

Hello everyone!
I want to tell my story :)
I`ve neve considered an electric car for myself. Always was sure that I need a car to rely on - and electric ones were not in the list.
But things have changed. I think You all heard of war in our country. And we all have to do our best to get an advance in this horrible competition.
So, me and my business partner had a request from our fighters to build a lightweight electric buggy for frontline operations. We considered different options and came to an idea to buy a chiepest electric vehicle to use it as a donor of components. And kind people from western part of our country helped us to find such a donor-car. It was a 2012 Peugeot Ion from Norway with body damages, but technically working. So, I bought it. But, the concept of our project changed - we needed low weight wehicle with fast changeable battery. And we are now close to the aim. And as the Ion was no longer needed for the project and was in unappropriate cosmetic condition to sell it, I`ve decided to ride it as a second car.
And as can be expected, I liked it! It is suprisingly cheap - 10% of costs for my LPG car for 100km ride. It is convinient in the city: easy parking etc.
Main problems were:
- it is not charging in our public chargers with Type1 plug, but charges on some (not all) Chademo
- have problems with heater - it randomly switches off, so I bought and installed diesel air heater
- poor battery health - only 67%
But I`m still happy with my "new" car and it`s perfomance. Since september i drove about 6000km on Ion and only 300 on my LPG car :)
Hello Fisher,
I really enjoyed your story about becoming an EV owner and driver. I’m glad you find your car very useful. And I hope you are successful in developing an electric vehicle that can supply your troops. I hope Ukraine is able to defend itself and drive Putins armies out.
Your car is very similar to mine although I have the Mitsubishi i-MiEV. Also a 2012. It’s my second car so I don’t drive it much in the winter. I’ll attach a couple photos. I wish you all the best and many more miles in your EV.

Attachments

• 8A372E2C-1558-4039-AD2D-D18BF233B94A.jpeg
    8A372E2C-1558-4039-AD2D-D18BF233B94A.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 9BAD9214-A111-4CFE-81F6-B358B7386709.jpeg
    9BAD9214-A111-4CFE-81F6-B358B7386709.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1
MickeyS70, thank you for this. I tried Google Translate and copy/pasted the specific post from zero-c here:

I implemented a cable conversion with a reed contact.
I use a Zener diode that lowers the CP voltage to around 9V (vehicle detect).
I also connected a rectifier diode in series so that the -12V from the charging station does not come through the Zener diode and can therefore continue to be evaluated correctly.
The whole thing is connected in a type 2 connector between CP and PE parallel to the existing cabling.

So far, this circuit has worked on all Mennekes charging stations. First start the charging process via the app, then insert type 2 into the column (locks immediately), then type 1 into the car.
Unplug the other way around and let Type 2 unlock with a magnet against the reed contact.

This means the cable can't be stolen so easily - it makes you feel good!

Here is my parts list from Reichelt:

MK 15 B2 OE reed sensor, 180 V, 0.5 A, normally closed 1R
ZD 8.2 Zener diode, 8.2 V, 1.3 W, DO-204AL/DO41
1N 4004 rectifier diode, 400 V, 1 A, DO-41

Good luck!

EA437020-AD1B-4956-9FAA-545078BB7F6C.jpeg

That is really interesting solution.
And I have Type2 to Type1 cable.
Will try to do something like this, thank You!

Back