researching best charging cables for 2012

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davedude

Hi,

I recently bought a 2012, and it did not come with any charging cords/cables. Fortunately I did find the manual in the glovebox and there seem to be no unpleasant surprises so far. It arrived charged and I have driven it a short distance, I love it already. It seems to have maybe 4 or 5 bars (around 40% or 35% just eyeballing it-from the maximum bars) of charge right now so I will be buying a cable before anything else happens other than cleaning and humble bragging. :)

Finding an EV that I could actually AFFORD makes me very happy. Even if the battery had 75% degradation, I could make it to work and back most days and load up on groceries/transport furniture/carry a bike..... it should be great to have low range and a less powerful car for efficiency and space reasons. I just could not bear the look of the old leaf either, although I considered getting a black one to make dead leaf jokes...

maybe someday it will be a "classic EV." I personally love the way this car looks, and now I can drive to the gym to bulk up and step out looking relatively bigger, this car is a babe magnet, I already know. let the gas guzzlers gawk there just are not very many on the road and it is scientifically proven we all turn our eyes at new information.

affordability wise this beats a wrecked Tesla by a factor of five-and this car is not wrecked. per dollar my range is higher, but who needs range when we also need 8 hrs of sleep/charge time per night? I swear that range anxiety is a public relations fabrication. As is charger station anxiety. EVERY ELECTRIFIED BUILDING IS A CHARGING STATION......I am thinking of a plan to create a doggy door that doubles as an extension cord route or a mail slot/extension cord route because the only problem for some people may be not wanting to leave the door open if an outdoor outlet is not available. this car rules I swear it is too cool.

thanks for reading

any suggestions on a solid trickle charge cord? im on the east coast, USA :cool:

The term you're looking for is "EVSE", although many people will (incorrectly) call them chargers.

The i-MiEV will only charge at a maximum rate of 13.75 amps, so you can get away with a lower-end EVSE. I'm currently using this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W6YLRYN , $200 when I bought it -- not available now, but cheaper, more capable versions are.

Ideally, get one that can do both level 1 (120 volts) and level 2 (240 volts). Level 2 is a whole lot faster, but level 1 is the one that you can plug in anywhere.

i've found used EVSE units (level 1, 120vac) listed on craigslist--seems like laef owners have no use for them after they get the level 2 EVSE units (240vac) installed in their garage. i very seldom used mine for charging, but carried it in the back for those just in case it's needed times.

And i bought my level 2 unit off of craigs--some early laefs were leased and the EVSE unit was installed in their garage, then when the lease was up they sold the unit, cheap too $300 for a 30A Blink unit.

DaveDude, thanks for one of the best iMiEV owner intros EVer!
personally love the way this car looks, and now I can drive to the gym to bulk up and step out looking relatively bigger, this car is a babe magnet, I already know. let the gas guzzlers gawk

Back