Gencis

Re: Not able to drive. P1A15 error.

Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:45 am

@BlindMoose,

it looks like you are having the same problem, I had in the beginning. I was able to clear P1A15 error and drive further. Even sometimes for several weeks. Then it started to happen every second charging. And finally I am not able to start.

kiev

Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:32 am

@Gencis
You have several CAN buss errors, but i think the P1A15 is real in your case.

The MCU is coded with the VIN number, otherwise it would be somewhat easy to just swap it out with another unit.

The function of the little hybrid isolation measurement board seems to be degrading over time in your case, which is quite puzzling-- what circuit component could behave in such a manner?

In troubleshooting electronics my first look is for burned or charred damage on a board; then for loose or broken connections and solder joints; then i start looking at any capacitors (especially ceramic) involved in the circuit. This finds a high percentage of faults. After all that then a schematic is necessary to get into the details.

i've never heard of one going bad, but maybe the big black capacitor module in the MCU could be degraded? That would be easy to swap out with another and no VIN required. Be careful that no HV is present if you get into that area.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

BlindMoose

Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:48 pm

@Gencis

After you clear the codes with the scanner, remember to turn the ignition key off. Wait a minute, then turn ignition on. Then when you scan for the fault, it should have been cleared, and should not show as active. Currently, when I clear the fault codes on mine, provided I don't turn the key to start, the faults stay clear. It's only when I turn the key to start that all 4 faults return, and the yellow icar is illuminated, and won't go into ready.

BlindMoose

Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:55 am

@Kiev

Ok phase 1 complete. Negative terminal off battery, back seat removed, metal shield/covers removed. Had all the plugs out. and earth straps off, checked for dirt/corrosion, but none found. No burnt electronics odours either. Fully reassembled all connectors, and earths. Replaced shields, and seat. Disappointed not to find any suspicious components. Phase 2 will be to attack the under steering wheel area.

kiev

Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:37 pm

And don't forget the connectors in the rear compartment at the MCU and OBC--these carry CAN buss signals also.

BlindMoose

Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:44 pm

Looks like the ignition switch needs a good clean.

kiev

Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:28 pm

BlindMoose wrote:Looks like the ignition switch needs a good clean.

Was this causing any (intermittent) faults?

BlindMoose

Sat May 01, 2021 6:29 am

The car occasionally doesn't do anything when turning the key to start. Similar to leaving it in gear, and trying to start. Currently the vehicle only works when I clear the codes, and start the first time. Everything works fine, car drives, everything works, it recently had a new 12v fully charged ancillary battery. Charger works fine. So drive the car, charge the car, use the aircon & heating, all fine. Stop the car turn it off. That's it. Turn ignition on, all fine. turn to start, and Yellow icar fault appears, and won't go, or take a charge. turn off, and turn ignition on, and yellow icar fault comes on and the fuel display slowly clocks up, 1 bar at a time, instead of the usual instant display. Clear the 4 codes again, and the car is as good as new again. To say that this is frustrating, is putting it mildly.

kiev

Sat May 01, 2021 7:14 am

which 4 DTCs are you getting now--all P codes or still some U codes? Seems like there were 6 earlier

BlindMoose

Sun May 02, 2021 2:47 am

Haven't got my own scanner. Borrow 1 from a garage friend (Launch x-341 pro3) I haven't tried 2 start car recently, just gone to ignition on, which is fine. I know that if I try to start @ the moment it will go into fault, so just slowly working my way through every single connector, fuse, etc, trying to find a crappy earth, or corroded terminal. Got another vehicle, so not a problem time wise. The reasoning behind my approach is, in the past I had a Fuel injected Volvo that wouldn't start. Turned out to be a corroded bullet fuse end, for the high pressure fuel pump. Had another that had a SRS fault, and the garage told me it needed new wheel sensors, brake actuator controller etc. Got the car home and traced the fault to an unplugged socket under the back seat. So, if I put the car into a dealership, I expect they will just go through the wholesale process of swapping out perfectly good components, till they eventually arrive at a cure. They haven't got time to be slow and methodical. It maybe I will fail to find anything, and that there is a serious component problem. However, I find that hard to comprehend, as if the fault codes are removed from the car computer, everything is fine. Daft.

Return to “General Technical Discussions”