This is going to totally bug me now.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLucas

There has been some recent discussion about the gas version of our i-MiEV. I went looking around some of the Japanese autos for sale sites and found a place selling used gassers. I found something interesting when looking at the instrument cluster, not only is it identical to the EV version (MMC really knows how to reuse the parts) but the backlight is in amber! Our backlight is white! But our radio backlight is amber. Now I feel that my instrumentation is mismatched, I would prefer them to be the same. I also really like those red seats with light grey interiors - wish we could have at least had that!

http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan car/mitsubishi/i/14633588/

http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan car/mitsubishi/i/14660237/

I like the wheels on the second i. I've seen some pictures of the SE radio (non-nav) that has the white backlight. Maybe there is an easy way to change it, though I like having the radio in orange, it's less distracting at night.

While I've grown accustomed to our climate control knobs being vertical, look at the storage space we lose because of it. The center of the dashboard has two drawers below the CC knobs. Also, the shifter column has a tray there, too.

PV1 said:
I like the wheels on the second i. I've seen some pictures of the SE radio (non-nav) that has the white backlight. Maybe there is an easy way to change it, though I like having the radio in orange, it's less distracting at night.

While I've grown accustomed to our climate control knobs being vertical, look at the storage space we lose because of it. The center of the dashboard has two drawers below the CC knobs. Also, the shifter column has a tray there, too.

And there is a tray above the glove box, too. If I had money to blow (like 5 grand) I'd be tempted to buy one to just strip the parts out that would fit. I was trying to find a crashed i gasser for parts but had no luck in sourcing that, maybe could get one much cheaper that way.

I think the dash differences are a LHD versus RHD thing - here's a link to the French Peugeot site showing the iON interior - very similar to what you have:

http://www.peugeot.fr/decouvrir/ion/5-portes/p=design-interieur/

I think all LHD versions of the i-MiEV have this arrangement, so you'd have to fit a RHD dash to get the extra cubby holes.
I suppose as long as you had a passenger to call out your speed, charge level etc. it wouldn't be too much of a problem ;-)

misterbleepy said:
I think the dash differences are a LHD versus RHD thing - here's a link to the French Peugeot site showing the iON interior - very similar to what you have:

http://www.peugeot.fr/decouvrir/ion/5-portes/p=design-interieur/

I think all LHD versions of the i-MiEV have this arrangement, so you'd have to fit a RHD dash to get the extra cubby holes.
I suppose as long as you had a passenger to call out your speed, charge level etc. it wouldn't be too much of a problem ;-)

The dash lengthwise will fit but you are right, not the RHD part. The parts we could take are the front seats, I'm sure the back seat isn't wide enough for the NA versions. The armrest, the center console stack, the steering wheel and steering column covers, not so sure about the door panels - the NA versions are 11" longer, not sure where the stretch took place.

At this point - having any of those pieces is simply a dream. It wouldn't be worth it unless I could get those parts I needed at a fairly reasonable cost. It was just interesting looking at the gassers and see the difference. Basically, there isn't a whole lot. One thing I though of is, I wouldn't want to own a gasser - it looks like a real PITA to maintain. That engine is crammed into the engine bay. Looks like it would be easier to remove the rear suspension with the engine to service it.

Right here. Almost halfway down the page.

Peugeot-iOn-habitabilite-286x310.jpg

I think the length of the NA model is gained in the bigger bumpers. On some other models, the wheel wells stick out front and back further than the rest of the bumpers.

here the french Citroen accessory catalogue (see page 6):
http://www.groupedallard.fr/files/accessoires/Accessoires_CZero.pdf

down is the spare part partnumber.

And here the one from Germany :
http://services.peugeot.de/media/deliacms/media/26/2689-fdbb86.pdf

So roughly 300 euros.....

MLucas said:
The parts we could take are the front seats, I'm sure the back seat isn't wide enough for the NA versions. The armrest, the center console stack, the steering wheel and steering column covers, not so sure about the door panels - the NA versions are 11" longer, not sure where the stretch took place.
We should ask our European brethren for some measurements. I wonder whether the front and back seats of the North American and rest-of-world models are the same width. I'm guessing that the extra 4" (10 cm) width of the North American version was added to improve side impact crash protection. There is a significant gap in North American versions between the outsides of the seats and the door panels. This gap might be less in the rest-or-world models.

I'm also guessing that the extra 11" (28 cm) length of North American models is all due to thicker bumpers front and rear to improve North American crash tests.

It would be fun to compare both models side by side. I suppose that this is unlikely to happen.

alohart said:
It would be fun to compare both models side by side. I suppose that this is unlikely to happen.

Virtually...

American vs. rest of the world comparison; note the zone added at the extremes of the dashboard (and the second wiper :) ):

2012-mitsubishi-i-MiEv-cockpit.jpg

656x369cut

Side view: mainly bumpers

2015-mitsubishi-i-miev-side-1.jpg

side-white-nowrap.png

I like the wheels on the second car . . . . and I'd *kill* for that headlamp adjuster!!

MLucas said:
Our backlight is white! But our radio backlight is amber. Now I feel that my instrumentation is mismatched, I would prefer them to be the same.
It's not *that* hard to change the lighting in the radio

When we bought our Protégé 5 new, I opted not to spend the extra $800 for the 6 disc in-dash CD changer and we got the standard single disc unit. 6 months or so later, I bought a 6 disc on eBay which came in some other Mazda when the owner upgraded for $125. The unit was identical to the $800 one I could have ordered with the car, except that it had green backlighting (to match the car it came in) while our dash lights up red. I took both radios apart and swapped the bulb 'condoms'. Took about half an hour

If you take apart your iMiEV radio, I suspect you'll find that the bulbs *are* white, but they have amber 'bulb condoms' which make the radio light up amber - Remove the condoms and you'll have white lightining, essentially foe free
Don

sventchik said:
Does anybody can get the Mitsubishi partnumber of this black plastic part that can include a 2 DIN radio unit & airdiffusor ?

This?

$_12.JPG

Perhaps CT23MT06 or CT23MT07

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/category.asp?m=2011&c=6092

Back