Still going strong. Lots of photos of my original 2010 model.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonS

I bought this 2010 model in Victoria, Australia just over a year ago with 126,000km on the clock (~78,000 miles). The range was down to about 70% of its original, but it had had no other problems or breakdowns. Eight months ago, I had the batteries upgraded to the 30kWh pack by Oz Electric Vehicles. The range is now around 240km. I kept the old batteries and used the best 84 of them to make an off-grid solar charging station in my shed, also using second-hand solar panels. I haven't used grid electricity to charge it since. It runs entirely on sunbeams.

01.JPG

Now I have a matching "sidecar"

02.JPG

And my shed is looking like a campaign poster for The Greens Party

03.JPG

My rusty rural shed roof is north-facing, so it is home to the solar panels

04.JPG

The 84 used LEV50 batteries are arranged in groups of 12 parallel by 7 in series to give me 29 volts at 600 Ah.

05.JPG

Via an inverter, the old batteries can charge up the new

06.JPG

Now I'm a Highway Star: One of the remaining spare batteries now powers my Bluetooth speakers in the shed

07.JPG

If I could find the right adapter cable, I'd try charging from one of these

14.JPG

And finally, is this a sign of the times?

08.JPG

Attachments

• 04.JPG
    04.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 0
Factoring in the return from the charging station, the price of the big battery might be considered to be more cost effective than most critics believe.

Back