Solutions for windshield fogging in cold weather?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed an electric window defroster on my 2012 iMIEV windshield before last winter. It's done an excellent job and has been the only thing I've used to keep my window defrosted since that time. We have some pretty cold Ohio days here. It takes several hours and some patience to install, but it was really worth it. I installed it in a position that enables me to look over top of it when needed. See the link below for manufacturer info:

http://www.frostfighter.com/clear-view-defrosters-about.htm

jeffcarroll78s2
2012 iMIEV w/ 36K miles and counting
Love this car!

jeffcarroll78s2 said:
I installed an electric window defroster on my 2012 iMIEV windshield before last winter. It's done an excellent job and has been the only thing I've used to keep my window defrosted since that time. We have some pretty cold Ohio days here. It takes several hours and some patience to install, but it was really worth it. I installed it in a position that enables me to look over top of it when needed. See the link below for manufacturer info:

http://www.frostfighter.com/clear-view-defrosters-about.htm

jeffcarroll78s2
2012 iMIEV w/ 36K miles and counting
Love this car!

Do you have a picture that you can share of your completed installation?

Aerowhatt

View from eye position:
iEa8SFf.jpg

ON/OFF control install:
CNbpQo8.jpg

External pic:
iEa8SFf.jpg

jeffcarroll78s2
2012 iMIEV w/36K miles and counting
I love this car!

jeffcarroll78s2, thank you for posting and showing off the installation. You did a nice neat job of it!

Dumb question: how do you clean the inside of the windshield?
(I consider cleaning the inside of the windshield as the most onerous maintenance task on the i-MiEV and have not yet been able to do it completely streak-free)

During the first (3) years of iMIEV ownership, i tried many things to keep the window defrosted as I was at the limit of range, for my daily commute. Running the heat/defroster was simply not an option. The building owner of our firm wouldn't allow outdoor receptacles to be installed and the city that I worked in wouldn't allow readily available public receptacles to be used for EV charging. Cleaning the windshield was the least of my worries.

jeffcarroll78s2
2012 iMIEV w/36K miles and counting
I love this car!

That is WAY cool, but I think I read somewhere years ago that it is illegal , at least here in Mass ?

tigger19687 said:
That is WAY cool, but I think I read somewhere years ago that it is illegal , at least here in Mass ?

Looks like they also make a kit for doing the "wiper rest" area of the windshield. Seems like that would be out of the way enough to pass muster in most states. With their little throttle unit one could install just 2 or 3 strips at the base of the windshield. That would be out of the field of view and glass conducts the warmth rather well. Definitely a low power option to keep forward visibility up.

Aerowhatt

That is a first..

Bravo. I'm sure that works really well and would win the prize for most efficient method of windshield defrosting.....

If I could find an electric defroster with clear conductors I would probably also do this. I believe it is already been done on things like the range rover.

On this topic I found a neat video that takes a scientific approach to explaining window defrosting. I thought it was kind of neat.

https://youtu.be/qCmgWiEEZwA

Don.....

Ohh I love a nice beard ! Sorry, it's a girl thing.

I did try the dish soap on the windows. Only did the driver side window (inside) and I can't say I am that thrilled.
It was a tad bit slower to fog over, but when it is cold it will still FREEZE. SO I don't want to try and scrape off frozen dish soap

The RainX fog wipes don't really work either

You could tint windshield - it will help against fogging and freezing. I want to check - how much is to tint windshield and if price not so high may be I will try to do it.

We can't tint the windshield here. I think it comes with a Glare tint, but that might be on my truck.

I just wish there was a way WITHOUT having to add a blower gas/diesel. If I thought a very small desk fan that could plug into the USB ( like the one on my desk) would work I would do it in a heart beat. But I think it wouldn't work and would use same amount of electric as the car fan ....

Maybe somebody else with a 2014 or 2016 can jump in here.

I'm thinking something must have been changed since the 2012. I have no trouble clearing the windshield with the stock defroster. When we go hiking in the mountains (once a week, sometime twice) we are pushing the range a bit with a 2700ft + elevation change and 55 mile round trip. So power usage is at a premium. There are 2 to 3 feet of snow up there now, so boots and lower pant legs are nice and snowy/icy/wet when we head home. Clothing is quite moist too from the workout.

By the time we get started getting situated and buckled up to head back down the mountain the windows are already fogged. Simply turning on the fan (half to floor, half to windshield pulling in fresh air from outside (not recirculate)) starts it clearing even before the fluid in the heat has had a chance to warm at all. By the time we get out on the road (Maybe 7 minutes from arriving at the car) the side windows still have some mist on them but the windshield is clear. As soon as the air coming in is warmed some I switch to recirculate and back to fresh (briefly) as needed to expel moisture building up in the cabin and it keeps the windows clear.

I use a high-ish fan setting and full high temp for a few minutes then drop the temp knob to one or two ticks from the green dot. I watch energy usage with canion because when it comes to using the heat the RR indicator seems to be an arbitrary (percentage?) reduction. I can't imagine having as much of an issue as this thread describes which leads me to believe that perhaps there was maybe a (ducting perhaps?) design change after 2012?

Aerowhatt

Other way to put heated windshield. I saw in Russia you could order heated windshield for any car.

Aerowhatt said:
Maybe somebody else with a 2014 or 2016 can jump in here.

I use a high-ish fan setting and full high temp for a few minutes then drop the temp knob to one or two ticks from the green dot. I watch energy usage with canion because when it comes to using the heat the RR indicator seems to be an arbitrary (percentage?) reduction. I can't imagine having as much of an issue as this thread describes which leads me to believe that perhaps there was maybe a (ducting perhaps?) design change after 2012?

Aerowhatt

New owner of a 2016 iMiEV chiming-in ...

We have no issues with ice on the windscreen, and we use the exact same procedure as Aerowhatt.

The worst day for us was Monday morning.

We had a 27km trip at -15, with blowing snow. It took 2.5 hours to get to work (average speed, 5kph).

The temp and fan speed were set at moderate level and the car consumed a total of 6 bars,mans no fog or ice on the windows.

Brian

Aerowhatt said:
. I can't imagine having as much of an issue as this thread describes...
Aerowhatt
Though I can't imagine many places with lower humidity than ABQ. ;-p

Ambient air around here is usually saturated with moisture, so I think I get better results defogging on recirc. with a bit of A/C.

jray3 said:
Though I can't imagine many places with lower humidity than ABQ. ;-p

Normally I would agree with you. But there are times here when it's very humid. And remember that humidity is relative to temperature ( a concept that many don't really care to understand). Your reference to "saturation" suggests that you may be familiar with the relativity of humidity. If you have windows fogging that means that at the temperature of the glass you have 100% humidity. Raise that temperature even a little and that condensation reverts to vapor.

In a driving rain you have almost 100% humidity. Rain with fog definitely 100% humidity or saturation. But lets say its 50F outside. Bring that air into the car and warm it even 10F and the humidity (relative humidity) drops enough to not fog the windows. Air conditioning the air de humidifies it. Air conditioners and dehumidifiers are the same device used for different purposes. But it also cools it which is not desirable when it is cold, or when you have limited energy to work with. Plus in even the most dramatic conditions (rain and fog) AC is unnecessary if the proper strategy is implemented.

One of our fall hikes we got caught 2.75 miles from the car on the trail in a heavy rain followed by lighter rain and fog. We had one rain poncho along. My clothes and hair were soaked driving back through the rain and fog. My wife's lower clothing was wet too. So I have had one experience in the worst conditions possible for keeping windows clear in the 'i' (plus wet clothes and hair). The strategy always works and I know it well since this is the first car I have owned with AC.

I'm an Ex avid downhill skier. Spent a lot of time in the mountains and one of the few out there that didn't mind skiing in a blizzard. I know snow, ice and fogging windows as well as anyone. Just never had the crutch of running AC with heat at the same time to cope. No offense meant, but good advice should not be undermined by flip, out of context, remarks.

Sure ALB has low average humidity and we are thankful for it for many reasons. Key word is AVERAGE though.

Aerowhatt

I almost always keep the vents to draw fresh air and blow it on the windshield, with or without the fan. For most of the year, I don't run any HVAC and leave my knobs, from top to bottom, on the green dot, fan off, vents to windshield with recirculator off. When I do run HVAC, it is for one of three reasons:

1. Windows fogging up. Usually only an issue if the car was parked in a warm garage then taken out to the cold or I had the recirculator on due to bad air quality outside (smoke in a valley, coal-roller in front of me, sitting in traffic, or going through a long tunnel). Usually just turning the fan on one click with fresh air or cracking one of the rear windows is enough.

2. Cooling the interior. Usually only on very hot days, as even having the windows down in 85 F weather keeps me cool.

3. Heating the interior. Again, pretty limited usage, usually only when outside temperatures are below 15 F. We got spoiled by 50 F temps nearly all the way through December, so I'm not acclimated this year and have been running the heater much more often. I usually start out with full heat and high fan speed (max on the coldest mornings like today at 6 F). I then drop the temperature down a click or two from the top and drop the fan down two notches. I keep some air going to the dash vents to keep my hands warm (heated steering wheel?), and send the rest to the floor while cycling the recirculator on and off based on window fog. About two miles from work, I drop the fan and temperature to one click above off and green dot and all air to the dash to use up the stored heat in the coolant. Once I see the heater kick back in or I arrive, I turn the fan off, temperature back to the green dot, and send all air to the windshield.

I've experimented with running heat and AC at the same time, but I'm not convinced that the AC runs at all, let alone making any difference. Also, I don't believe that the ductwork allows mixing heat and AC.

Back