SNOW TIRES & wheels any recommendations?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a set of Yokohama Ice Guard IG20 on my I-MiEV. This is a set (with steel rims, factory sizes) that the Toronto Mitsubishi dealers sold as OE for the car, although I picked up a used set from a fellow forum member.

Last year when I put them on it was on the same weekend when there was a significant drop in temperatures, so I could not tell how much of the range drop was caused by the tires and how much by the temperature drop. This year however, we had steady temperatures just above freezing when I made the switch, and I have to say the range drop is quite small. I would say less than 10% for sure, most likely somewhere in the 5%-8% range. Overall, I have to recommend these tires, they are quite decent in the snow and ice with very respectable rolling resistance.

KrisK said:
I'm a little late to the game here but...Ontario driver here. I went with Dunlop Graspic DS-3 from tirerack (front and back tires) and ended up ordering rims from my local Mitsubishi dealer. Just had the wheels put on the rims today so I'm looking forward to picking up the car in about 30 minutes.

Kris

Kris, how are the larger front rims and tires working? Inquiring minds want to know! This could be a important change to owning an i MiEV.

NeilBlanchard said:
Kris, how are the larger front rims and tires working? Inquiring minds want to know! This could be a important change to owning an i MiEV.

I don't see where Kris said he's going with larger rims. Are the Graspics a different profile than stock tires?

I am also in the Toronto area; I just called Active Green & Ross and they can no longer get the Yokohama IceGaurd IG20 in the rear tire size (175/60R15) - in fact they can't get any winter tire in the stock rear tire size (just all seasons). Front size no problem (I believe it is commonly used by SMART cars)

TireRack.com has the rear size in the IceGuard IG20 for $36USD. I am thinking to just order 4 so I have 2 spare on hand, will store them in the house to slow the breakdown due to temperature fluctuation. I will have them shipped to the place I use for packages in Niagara Falls, NY (Kinek point)

Right now Tirerack.com is giving a $60 (USD) Visa gift card with a set of 4 so the total cost for 4 shipped is $142 USD. This more than offsets the shipping cost.

Sometimes I wish NA i-MiEVs had 175/55R15 on the back instead of 175/60. 175/55s are used on the Smart car and should have much better availability.

In regards to rims, are the front and rear alloy rims the same size? I found two alloy rims at a wrecker but it says they are from the rear. I was just reading in another thread that the fronts are the ones that are hard to fit other brands of rims on.

Front and rear alloys are completely different - They even went do far as to change the bore size (larger on the front wheels) and they added a steel collar on the front hubs so the rear wheels physically cannot be put on the front of the car. Even if you remove that collar so the rear wheel will bolt on, the rim hits the front strut and won't turn

Don

Darn, I guess someone beat me to the fronts already the wrecker only lists the rears. Oh well I might as well get them they aren't that much more than steel wheels and who knows maybe I'll luck out and find a pair of matching fronts.

Back