Seat covers

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
olagon said:
Anyone have any luck buying good quality car seat covers for the i-miev?
Hi Olin!

What I did was buy some quilted hawaiian seat covers at COSTCO for about $20. Since our head rests are so tall they didn't fit. My wife trimmed the top to make it fit just the torso part of the seat and sewed two pukas on the top for the head rest posts. My head rarely rests on the head rest so I figured it doesn't really need a cover. She also cut a hole for the seat belt. It fits and looks great. I will take some pics and post them. They aren't the best quality but cheap enough where I can buy a second set as a backup when these wear out. Since the driver's side will wear 5x faster than the passenger side, I will have at least two replacement covers in that set. Then I can get a different color next time!

Later! -John

shifttrans said:
olagon said:
Anyone have any luck buying good quality car seat covers for the i-miev?
Hi Olin!

What I did was buy some quilted hawaiian seat covers at COSTCO for about $20. Since our head rests are so tall they didn't fit. My wife trimmed the top to make it fit just the torso part of the seat and sewed two pukas on the top for the head rest posts. My head rarely rests on the head rest so I figured it doesn't really need a cover. She also cut a hole for the seat belt. It fits and looks great. I will take some pics and post them. They aren't the best quality but cheap enough where I can buy a second set as a backup when these wear out. Since the driver's side will wear 5x faster than the passenger side, I will have at least two replacement covers in that set. Then I can get a different color next time!

Later! -John

Howzit John! Would love to see some pictures. Will that seat cover block the air bag from deploying?

Here are the pictures of the seat covers I have. These were generic, one size fits all, padded seat covers with black elastic material on the back that was designed to cover the head rest. I think it cost about $20 at our local Costco. It didn't fit since our head rests are so tall. My wife trimmed the seat covers to fit under the head rest. I like the tight fit of the full elastic back but you lose the use of the seat back pockets. No one hardly sits back there for me anyways. You might be able to cut a slot in the back if you really wanted to.

To trim the top, I simply removed the headrest and put the seat covers on. I marked off where I needed to cut the excess material and my wife sewed it up. You don't have to get it exact. Just make sure the cover is down all the way down and get the contour of the seat top right.

After the seat top is sewn, put it back on to mark the location of the head rest posts and the seat belt. My wife sewed a zigzag pattern around the hole (aka puka ;) thanks Art!) so it doesn't fray. The seat belt slot is optional but it fits way better with it.

I looked closely for a side air bag in the seat and I don't think there is one on my car. There is an airbag right near the seat on the door pillar so I'm not sure why there would be two in the same place. But let me know if I'm incorrect. If there is one, I can cut a slot and add some velcro.

Happy seat covering! :p -John

10891760415_b2b57c1d92.jpg

10892073323_f8c41a5ed7.jpg

10891909164_aa19e4eef2.jpg

shifttrans said:
I looked closely for a side air bag in the seat and I don't think there is one on my car. There is an airbag right near the seat on the door pillar so I'm not sure why there would be two in the same place. But let me know if I'm incorrect. If there is one, I can cut a slot and add some velcro.
I'm almost certain that the front seats of our i-MiEV's contain side airbags. I believe there's a tag or something similar on the edge of each front seat that identifies the side airbags. I don't recall seeing anything that would indicate that the side airbags are in the door pillar, but I probably haven't looked closely in this area.

Your seat covers look much better (especially for the islands) than the plain ones that I bought. I had trouble finding seat covers designed to allow side airbags to deploy, so my choice was limited. I couldn't see anything special about the side seam in the seat cover so I'm trusting that this seam would not prevent a side airbag from deploying.

shifttrans said:
Here are the pictures of the seat covers I have.

Thanks for sharing. Can't say I'm talented with a sewing machine. I may take a chance one an eBay car seat made for the Miev and if so will share my purchase here.

I am bumping this topic as the Seats DO contain side air bags.

So, anyone else get seat covers that they like, work and allow for the Airbags ?

Updating my own posting.

There are not that many places that sell seat covers locally any more, not like they did in the 80's and 90's ;)

Most have only 1 cover and price from $20 on up.

I was in Costco and got a Set for $20
http://www.costcoweekender.com/2015/04/winplus-wetsuit-seat-cover-costco-963965.html

Since the 'i' seats have that curve in the back, it doesn't fit "snug". But does fit and does the job of keeping the seats covered and dry. Headrest covers don't fit the front seats very well, but would work fine on the back (which I took out and folded down the seat so I don't care.)

Back