Review of US Pre-production Mitsubishi i-Miev

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imievnews

WardsAuto.com got their hands on a pre-production US version of the Mitsubishi i-Miev (called the Mitsubishi i). Their overall impressions: "pleasantly quiet operation, quick off-the-line performance and the familiar lightness-of-being in knowing the car could help solve some of the world’s most vexing problems".

The Mitsubishi i-Miev arrives soon in Hawaii, California, Oregon and Washington state.

mitsubishi-i-ev.jpg

Starting the car and driving away, the Mitsubishi i pulls away nicely and imparts the feel of a longitudinal drivetrain, even with the rear mounted engine. However, as soon as they started weaving cones, the noted that there was some ugly under-steer - this could be due to the i-Miev's speed sensitive electronic power steering system, but required much more steering input then the car actually steered.

They tested the Mitsubishi i all the way up to 70mph, where they said the hood started shaking and they decided to stop there. Taking a tight corner, the traction-control light started blinking it's disapproval and they backed off the i-Miev's throttle.

Apparently the Japanese and European models of the Mitsubishi i-Miev, which have been on sale for more than a year, exhibit fewer rattles and shakes at highway speed, but in fairness, Mitsubishi may tighten those up before production.

The reviewer also mentioned that the hvac controls are rotated from horizontal to vertical in the US Mitsubishi i which makes for a skinnier center console and more leg room.

"It's sneaky big inside with it's tall, bowed greenhouse"

For the full review, visit the Mitsubishi i Review

Glad to hear the Mitsubishi i is sneaky big inside - that's one thing I was concerned about and still won't be totally comfortable with until I can see it in person, sit in it, and perhaps test fit some car seats!

Yeah, I think sitting in it and actually getting the feel of how much space/room there is in the 'i' is the real test for our liking.

It's huge inside. Way bigger than you think it could be given how small it is outside. I was lucky enough to get to test drive one at Mitsubishi Owners Day here in Texas this year. It was one of the smaller, right hand drive ones, and it is just as spacious inside as my Lancer (for anyone who has been in or owns an 08+ Lancer, you know how much space it has). I'm impressed they made the US spec ones bigger. They really didn't need to. I'm 5'10" and fit REALLY comfortably.

Auto week October 31, 2011 has a very positive two page article on the Mitsubishi i. They also mention AAA roadside service trunks have a pilot program in place to recharge EV batteries that are depleted.

One more review.
Drivers inclined to love the i will enjoy the little car’s comfortable ride. They’ll even remark at how nicely it handles broken pavement and smaller potholes. They’ll also comment on how refined it feels because they’re unconsciously noting the lack of traditional power train noise and the absence of jerky gearshifts. If you wanted to like the Smart but hated how it drove, you’re in for a treat with the I.
The car offers three driving modes: Standard, Eco, and “B”. The Eco mode limits the engine’s output to 18 kilowatts (one third of peak power), to increase the range of a single charge—and the decline in performance was substantial. “B” mode added more regenerative braking on downhill stretches and when the car is coasting, to recharge the pack more aggressively. In that mode, the regeneration felt “grabby,” and far less smooth than, for example, Ford's hybrid system.
The Bottom Line: With a price that undercuts the Nissan Leaf by more than $5000 and superior efficiency, Mitsubishi's North American version of the i electric vehicle may attract a broader audience than simply urban-dwelling environmentalists who view personal transportation as a necessary evil. The EPA estimates that drivers will spend just $495 dollars to drive the i 15,000 miles—though putting 15,000 miles on this car is a formidable task, as the i's practical range is just 62 miles. And that distance must vary quite a bit depending how you use the i: Just 15 minutes of hard driving at Mitsubishi's Nagoya proving grounds erased four of the 16 energy bars in the i's "fuel" gauge. Still, Mitsubishi's management is fixated on helping the world become a greener place, and the practical changes they've made to the i will make the $27,990 car more palatable for American drivers and driving environs.

Back