Radiator Cooling

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phximiev said:
Ok, tried the advice posted above. It didn't work in the 110 degree heat. The car heated up so fast that kids and wifey started to complain and despite gutting it out 'til we parked, the fan still ran for another 5-10 minutes in the parking garage in Scottsdale. Family left me sitting there as they were bored with the experiment.

I am still curious as to just why this is happening and perhaps will trot up to Mark Mitsubishi to pose the question to them.

Yes when it's extremely hot the car will heat too fast so just wait longer to turn the AC off. A few times I have gotten caught at red lights and would bump the AC back on until the temp dropped again then turn it back off for the remainder of the trip. I guess I have started taking for granted how to do this most effectively since I've done it for years on all my cars with AC. Such driver active measures are not for everybody though. I find many things somewhat boring and experiment to add interest to them. I always experiment alone in the car for now obvious reasons

From what I have seen of the cooling system and AC system it is run by the computer system based on sensors for ambient temperature, motor coolant temperature, and AC refrigerant pressure. By misting, or some other means of artificially pulling down the apparent ambient temperature the systems are working from. One is fooling the car into thinking it is cooler than it really is and it is responding accordingly. IMO this is not a good practice since it could drive AC refrigerant pressures higher than the system tries to maintain them by fooling the system. Without knowing the control algorithm there is no telling what parameter exactly is causing the fan to seemingly run excessively. To my mind it doesn't really matter 110F or 117F is really hot, plain and simple, and the system does what it can to keep things inside of safe operating ranges. My radiator fan comes on right away when the car is "started" and the AC is turned on and it is 97F . . . seems like a good idea for it too. The car is cute, smart and it knows what it is doing ;-) just enjoy the cool ride. If the car systems were truly overheating (warning indicators etc.) Then some additional cooling means would of course be an appropriate measure.

As a side note, I often pass by ICE cars that are parked (presumably just recently parked) in the heat of summer with cooling fans running and nobody around. Most likely these fans are running to bring the AC condenser coil pressures down to better (safer) levels before shutting off.

Aerowhatt

Interesting topic. Am looking for how to use the heat from the power units.

In reverse being in a colder climates with winter coming I am considering a setup to use the heat from the MCU, Charger.. And bring the heat to the cabin without spending range on heating. Anybody who has done this yet?

I see several ways of doing this. One would be to use the heat running in coolant system and perhaps reroute or tap in before the radiator. Anybody who has experience with this?

I imagine this could provide heat in the cabin without using the A/C.

Another way could be to get the heat from the coolant passed the air intake for the cabin-fan. And somehow make a bypass option when having sufficient warmth.

Dani said:
Interesting topic. Am looking for how to use the heat from the power units.

In reverse being in a colder climates with winter coming I am considering a setup to use the heat from the MCU, Charger.. And bring the heat to the cabin without spending range on heating. Anybody who has done this yet?

I see several ways of doing this. One would be to use the heat running in coolant system and perhaps reroute or tap in before the radiator. Anybody who has experience with this?

I imagine this could provide heat in the cabin without using the A/C.

Another way could be to get the heat from the coolant passed the air intake for the cabin-fan. And somehow make a bypass option when having sufficient warmth.
Yep. Right here:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2479

I have documentation on how this could be accomplished, but haven't purchased or installed anything yet. I actually was just thinking about this the other morning. Can we continue this conversation in the linked thread?

Back