Quick Charging

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatedad11

Not that the model that I am leasing has it, but has anyone been able to utilize their DC Quick Charger? It would seem to me that by just having a DCQC as well as a 6.6 KW charger on board, most people would find the range limitations much less pronounced in the I. As far as I know there are zero DCQC's in Philadelphia, PA area...and probably very few in the Northeast at all. But when Nissan adds the DCQC's to their dealers across the country, those who have that option will really enjoy it. Of course, just the addition of a 6.6 KWH charger would make a big difference for most people as parking for an hour at a restaurant or store would yield about 20 miles additional range. That's not insignificant, and being able to come home from work with say half your battery depleted, you could regain all of it in about 2 hours. For lots of us that means we could go to work, come home, plug in and then within a few hours go back out to the store, the mall, Dr's visits, etc with no hassle.

Lou

I suppose if your daily commute left you with little reserve when you get where you're going, it might prove handy to get you back home . . . . if you happen to have a charger where it works for you. Since I'm almost never 'range challenged' the cost of using one alone would make me wait and recharge at home. I've never felt the need for either QC or a faster L2 charger . . . . I recharge every other night or so using L1 - I only rarely use my L2 charger and usually only when I need a little extra for a quick turnaround, so L2 @ 3.3 seems really 'quick' to me :lol:

Not sure how many ChaDeMo chargers we will ever see - I think they may be phased out before they get universally phased in. From what I've read, ChaDeMo is NOT going to be the 'universal' EV quick charging system . . . . the first iteration of anything seldom is. Think 8 track tapes, Betamax video and laser disc players

Don

Yes, Seattle and Portland area EV'ers are using the CHAdeMO stations along I-5 and US Hwy 2 a bunch, and for most of the past year there was only one L3 station in Seattle, so a few folks have had to wait in line. :eek:
Our intrepid member LeeC has used L3 in his EVenturous road trips across the three main mountain passes in a single day, and also by going to Portland and back, as well as Vancouver BC, IIRC.
Not having CHAdeMO is my only regret on this car. :oops: (anybody wanna trade down?)
A Baja California to British Columbia "BC2BC2" road rally is being planned for this summer, mainly made possible by CHAdeMO. This was pioneered last year by Tony Williams (BC2BC1).
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9244

Using the i-MiEV for two commutes in a day (my 32 mile r/t day shift plus my wife's 42 mile r/t graveyard shift twice per week) was challenging before L2 was installed at my office, but that added utility has increased our weekly usage of the car by about 100 miles, between the added commutes and extra business use. (Yes, 74 miles per day on L1 is quite doable, but not entirely within the wifely confidence interval!) ;)

As far as regular AC charging, I haven't touched a level 2 charger for a while now. I've been able to cover a lot of distance on only level 1. The only time I would need level 2 is when I venture out of town or to the dealer.

I have the CHAdeMO port on my car in hopes of either a V2H (Vehicle to Home) system or the MiEV-Box power inverter, although I did find a solar quick charger within range that is right across the street from our once a year destination up north.

Strategically placed DC quick chargers can and hopefully will open up a whole new world to EV travelers, specifically chademo for iMiEV's. They will take your "i" from near empty to 80% SOC in about 20 min, nearly doubling your effective range. The last 20% will take longer, but will still be faster than a level 2 charger. There is a newly activated FREE one in Vacaville, CA which is near the half-way point between Sacramento and San Francisco; an example of a perfect location. I have used three different quick charge stations and am very happy my Mitzu came with one. There is a practical maximum of how many such stops one is willing to make every 50+ miles (assuming 80% charge and freeway speeds), and you still need to know where you will charge at your destination, but I think that quick charging could well make the single greatest difference in adoption of EV's.

Nichion Corp. has unveiled their solar-powered DC Fast Charger that relies on repurposed EV batteries and can also supply emergency backup power. Due to its deployment at Obama City in Fukui Prefecture, the story may even get picked up by Fox News!
:oops:

http://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/new/new122.html

Back