Peugeot Ion 2011 - U1108 Error - no charging AC & no ready mode

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ion75

Hello !

I'm new here, I tried to find in the forum posts a solution to my problem without success.

I am currently having issues with my 2011 Peugeot Ion (which broke down following a charging attempt last week)
- The vehicle refuse to go to ready mode.
- AC charging does not work (the red plug is blinking on the combination meter but the charge dont start)

After analyzing the faults reported by a CAN scan (UXXXX) I replaced the 12V battery with a new battery as recommended in lot of posts.
after replacing the battery, the U1108 faults are still there and it is still impossible to join the combination meter on the CAN BUS.

Below the DIAGNOSIS CODE per ECU:

ETAC: U1108
MCUs: U1108
EV_ECU: P1B31, P1B1D, P1B1F, U1113, U1108, U111D
BMU: U1108
METER: NOT reachable

The combination meter is correctly powered and seems to receive information from others ECus (charge level, charging light when plugged ect.)

To go further in the diagnosis, I plan to borrow a combination meter on a functional vehicle to check if it is detected.

does anyone know if it is possible to replace the combination meter (Is it VIN coded?) Do you have any other ideas for diagnosis?

PS: I also checked the HV fuse which is ok.

What is the voltage of the 12V battery with the key OFF, and then with the key ON?

A "new" battery must be charged at home fully before putting it into service, to verify and ensure that it can be ruled out as a culprit.

Since you have multiple U1108 pointers, then i would suspect the harness and connectors first rather than the meter or ECUs.

By high voltage fuse, do you mean the fuse under the cover of the MCU?

Has anyone been working under the rear seat that might have disturbed the harnesses? Check for rodent damage to wiring, pull all connectors and inspect for corrosion in the contacts, etc

hello kiev,

Thanks for the feedback !

kiev said:
What is the voltage of the 12V battery with the key OFF, and then with the key ON?

A "new" battery must be charged at home fully before putting it into service, to verify and ensure that it can be ruled out as a culprit.
the 12V battery was charged before testing.
I took the measurements today voltage is still above 12.5

Lock 12,79
ACC 12.74
ON 12.64
START 12.60

kiev said:
By high voltage fuse, do you mean the fuse under the cover of the MCU?
Yes MCU fuse Under the cover

kiev said:
Has anyone been working under the rear seat that might have disturbed the harnesses? Check for rodent damage to wiring, pull all connectors and inspect for corrosion in the contacts, etc

Nobody else but me. i checked the harnesses (under the rear seat and under the dashboard) but I didn't see anything special.

It looks like the 12V battery can be ruled out.

All your P-codes and the U-codes seem to have a cause related to a lack of CAN Buss communication, e.g. BMU, MCU, Brake Sensor, Meter. And probably to the OBC if the car won't charge.

i doubt all of those devices have suddenly become defective, but more likely there is a wire or harness or connector issue common to those devices.

Any modifications made to the car, eg radio swap or something added under the footwell, etc?

Get a good strong flashlight and inspect under the hood and everywhere for rodent damage or corrosion to the wiring harnesses--they like to chew the insulation and can climb into the car thru the rubber vent flap in the rear wheel-well.

[edit]
Was the car running fine before the charging attempt? What was the situation of the charging attempt? Has the car been operating daily and normally up to that point, or has it been sitting for a long time, using a new or different EVSE unit, etc?

OK, I'll take a look at the wiring harnesses with a flashlight.

kiev said:
[edit]
Was the car running fine before the charging attempt? What was the situation of the charging attempt? Has the car been operating daily and normally up to that point, or has it been sitting for a long time, using a new or different EVSE unit, etc?

The vehicle was running normally (every day) before this charging attempt. No modification made on the vehicle.

Charging did not work at all and seems to be the cause of the failure. It was not the usual EVSE (T1/domestic 10A portable charger) but this one has worked in the past.

PS: I also carried out charging tests with the original charger (T1/domestic 16A provided with the car) without success. (This charger work with an other fonctionnal vehicle).

Hi there

I would also suspect an issue with the CAN communication to the meter (or faulty meter itself) as all other components appear to be talking.

Check out schematic below, might give you a better idea where to start
http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/i-miev/online/Service_Manual/img/90/HBT15E14AC00ENG.pdf

The fact that the problems started during charging might not be a coincidence, best to check for damaged wiring in close proximity of the OBC also

Mickey

After a long session of scrutinizing the cables, nothing suspicious.

I then resigned myself to try a meter swap (with a fonctionnal one) and there I managed to start and have the READY state.

AC charging still does not work. I took the opportunity to try a DC charge which worked perfectly.

Looks like I'll have to take a look at the OBC now...

MickeyS70 said:
ion75 said:
Looks like I'll have to take a look at the OBC now...

What DTCs are you getting now as the meter is working again?

Strangely after the deletion of the previous errors I did not see any other errors coming up (maybe have to wait a bit ?).
However, when I select OBC and request a fault reading, Diagbox indicates a communication error with the ECU.

there is certainly also a problem with the communication of the OBC on the CAN bus.

From my understanding the OBC and the DC/DC converter are linked. So I also have to check if the DC/DC converter is functional (charging the 12V auxiliary battery in ready mode) right?

good news DC/DC converter is fine 14.4V.

I don't really know where to start now to solve the AC charging issue.

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been home for the past few days.

Of course, it is impossible to miss this very complete post! however I have not seen a case similar to mine (i.e. no DTCs returned by the OBC and with the DC/DC part functional).

I haven't opened the OBC yet, I'll definitely start with a visual inspection.

Back