Can bus failures

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikC

I have a broken Peugeot Ion.

After reading the failure codes via ODB2 connector, it seems a set of ECU (or parts) is not accessible. Is it related to any small power circuitry that is broken? Who can point me out to find the root cause?

Important notes:
Charging via AC connector to main battery and to 12V battery is possible.
Recently I have replaced the DC/DC charger by a used one. It does not help to solve the issue.
This car can not be driven on road since an unknown system/module is not working anymore.

ETACS - Built-in Systems Interface -> OK
MCU - Electric machine management ECU -> OK
BMU - Traction battery ECU -> 8 Faults
U1926 - Error in communication on the CAN with the electric vehicle management ECU
U111B - Absence of communication with the electric motor ECU
U1100 - Absence of communication with the electric vehicle management ECU
P1AA7 - Error in communication on the CAN with the electric vehicle management ECU
P1A4D - Electric vehicle ECU supply voltage
U1073 - Fault: CAN
U1108 - Absence of communication with the instrument panel ECU
U1109 - No communication with the built-in systems interface
OBC - Onboard charger of the traction battery -> OK
EV_ECU - Electric vehicle ECU -> 1 fault
P0C74 - Fault coolant pump
CMU01 - Traction battery cells management ECU (module 1) -> OK
CMU02 - Traction battery cells management ECU (module 2) -> OK
CMU03 - Traction battery cells management ECU (module 3) -> OK
CMU04 - Traction battery cells management ECU (module 4) -> OK
CMU05 - Traction battery cells management ECU (module 5) -> OK
CMU06 - Traction battery cells management ECU (module 6) -> OK
CMU07 - Traction battery cells management ECU (module 7) -> OK
CMU08 - Traction battery cells management ECU (module 8) -> OK
CMU09 - Traction battery cells management ECU (module 9) -> OK
CMU10 - Traction battery cells management ECU (module 10) -> OK
CMU11 - Traction battery cells management ECU (module 11) -> OK
CMU12 - Traction battery cells management ECU (module 12) -> OK
ASC - Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) or Electronic Stability Program (ESP) -> 8 Faults
U1100 - Fault - absence of communication with the solenoid valves 1
U1073 - General CAN fault
U1205 - Fault: no communication with gyroscope accelerometer sensor
U1104 - Fault - absence of communication with the steering wheel angle sensor
U1105 - Fault - absence of communication with the yaw sensor
U111B - Fault: no communication with engine ECU
U1108 - Fault: absence of communication with the instrument panel
U1190 - Not defined
EPS - Power steering -> OK
SAS - Steering wheel angle sensor -> 1 fault
U1073 - Fault bus Off
SRS - Air bags and pre-tensioners control unit -> 2 faultSpeed
B1476 - Fault: supply voltage
B1477 - Fault: supply voltage
BSP - Gateway wiring housing -> OK
BTA - Service module / Independent telematic unit -> OK
METER - Instrument panel -> 8 faults
U1116 - Fault: no communication with the hands-free access ECU
U1190 - Fault: ECU internal
U1073 - Fault: CAN
U1109 - Fault: no communication with BSI
U1100 - Communication missing fault with the engine ECU
U1106 - Fault absence of communication with the electric power steering ECU
U1102 - Fault - absence of communication with the ABS/ESP ECU
U1121 - Fault in the information transmitted by the engine ECU
RDE - Radio -> 2 faults
2803 - Fault on the left-hand rear audio output
2804 - Fault on the right-hand rear audio output
HVAC - Air conditioning -> OK
COMP_HTR - Control of the passenger compartment air conditioning and heating compressor -> 7 faults
U1190 - Fault: CAN
U1073 - Fault : absence of communication
U1109 - Absence of communication fault with the built-in Systems Interface
U1102 - Fault, no communication with the ABS ECU
U1108 - Fault: absence of communication with the instrument panel
U111C - Fault: absence of communication with the traction battery controller
U1100 - Fault: absence of communication with the electric vehicle management ECU

Howdy Erik, welcome to the forum.

What is the history of your car--any accidents, flooding, driven daily or left sitting for a long time, etc?

With so many CAN buss DTCs there are some likely culprits: a weak, old or worn out 12V starter battery; or wiring harness damage (from accident or rodents); or corroded, dirty (oxidized) contacts in connectors.

This is seen by the "supply voltage" faults of some ECUs, which comes from the 12V battery. If a battery sits for a long time without being held at full voltage, then it can be damaged by sulfation of the plates. A weak 12V can cause a multitude of CAN buss faults such as you have found.

Look under the rear seat to find the ECUs that are having the most faults. Disconnect the 12V battery and then demate and inspect and clean all the contacts in the connectors, and inspect all the wiring for cuts in the insulation.

good luck and let us know what you find,
kenny

It seems that a lot of errors are out of date (a few weeks ago). I have erased all codes per ECU.

Finally, the Ready mode is working and I can drive the car. However I see a yellow warning indicator "car + exclamation mark in the middle of car". After reading car status via diagnostic tool, there is an fault code: P0C74 - Fault coolant pump. I need to understand why it is happened.

Hi
Check out below for troubleshooting hints
http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/i-miev/online/Service_Manual/2012/54/html/M154920710001100ENG.HTM

Using the actuator testing, the pump is working for a few seconds. After many attempts with fault reading and erasing, the car is drivable. The READY mode is working and am also able to drive. I need to prove that it is resolved permanently. So I re-tried to start the car at next day. This car will never go in READY mode. I have read new fault codes:

ETACS -> B1702 -> Fault in the transponder integrated into the ignition key -> Permanent fault

EV ECU -> P0513 -> Fault engine immobiliser -> Key programming incorrect

Every time I have cleared those codes, the READY mode is never entered. Mostly one or two out of those codes is appeared repeately.

What is the next step?

ErikC said:
ETACS -> B1702 -> Fault in the transponder integrated into the ignition key -> Permanent fault

EV ECU -> P0513 -> Fault engine immobiliser -> Key programming

What is the next step?

Did you try the spare key? If you don’t have one, then getting a locksmith might be your only option..

I have bought a battery CR1620 for the key. Replacing it does not help since the voltage is still correct: 3.0V. Moreover I can lock/open the car doors with the remote control.

After placing new 3V into the key, the car will not go the Ready mode. After several attempts (~ 10 times), this mode is working suddenly. I repeat this 10x, all are working. I did not connect the CANBUS with the laptop at all attempts.

I will re-try the test in 4 hours.

I have no spare key-remote control, only a simple key as second key. I can also start the car with this simple key.

ErikC said:
I have no spare key-remote control, only a simple key as second key. I can also start the car with this simple key.

Remote lock/unlock and transponder start are two different functions, if you have trouble starting with both keys then the problem appears to be on the car side, but I gather currently everything is working?

Is the transponder also mount in the simple key?

I am able to work with both keys (remote and simple). The car is put into Ready mode and a ride is fine.

Sometimes the yellow indicator 'car + exclamation mark' is active. After reading the fault codes, it seems that the cooling pump is the cause. An actuator test of this pump was performed. The pump is running for 3 secs. Why will it not running permanently?

Should I check some sensors like temperature, pressure of cooling water? Is there a menu available in diagbox v7.83 that will read those sensors?

Yes, a transponder chip is also inside the simple key.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide in my earlier post or has the fault code changed?

Back