Our Gas Free Miles Travelled

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JoeS said:
I agree with BarryP, as my initial response inclination was to say you had a lazy meter reader. :shock: The probability of having an exactly-the-same kWh reading is close to zero.
I don't know. Both the "Previous" and "Present" meter readings on both the July and August bills stated they were "Actual" readings. It is usually stated as "Estimated" when they don't actually come out to take a reading.

Below are the readings for each month:

Month Previous Present Usage Amount Due
July 50,711 (Actual) 52,068 (Actual) 1,357 kWh $127.32
August 52,068 (Actual) 53,425 (Actual) 1,357 kWh $127.32

I'm sure it's some kind of fluke. I'll report back once I get my September bill.

Just got my September electric bill. Here's what I got, including the two prior bills:

Month Previous Present Usage Amount Due
July 50,711 (Actual) 52,068 (Actual) 1,357 kWh $127.32
August 52,068 (Actual) 53,425 (Actual) 1,357 kWh $127.32
September 53,425 (Actual) 54,795 (Actual) 1,370 kWh $128.18

So far, my i-MiEV doesn't appear to be having much impact on my electric bill whatsoever!

I thought Robb might add some excitement to our stuffy little forum, but the meter shows he is obviously quite set in his ways. That's ok Robb, EVs do quite well with a regular routine. They like naps as well.
;-p

jray3 said:
I thought Robb might add some excitement to our stuffy little forum, but the meter shows he is obviously quite set in his ways. That's ok Robb, EVs do quite well with a regular routine. They like naps as well.
;-p
Not quite sure I follow. How would I add any excitement? Were you expecting I'd rack up massive electric bills with the Meepster? Did I give the impression that I would be driving the i-MiEV like a bat out of h3ll?

RobbW said:
At our 1-month anniversary this past Sunday, we had put on about 1,650 miles since taking delivery of our little Meepster

Robb, why don't you just use a $10 e-cost meter and you'll have exact data of your monthly EV-usage. If you charge at home only, than 1,650 miles cost you not less than 288 kWh (100 miles/charge - 17.5 kWh/charge) with featherfoot or more if you drive normaly.

Zelenec said:
RobbW said:
At our 1-month anniversary this past Sunday, we had put on about 1,650 miles since taking delivery of our little Meepster

Robb, why don't you just use a $10 e-cost meter and you'll have exact data of your monthly EV-usage. If you charge at home only, than 1,650 miles cost you not less than 288 kWh (100 miles/charge - 17.5 kWh/charge) with featherfoot or more if you drive normaly.
What kind of meter? Is that something I would plug into my 240V outlet and then plug the Level 2 EVSE into that?

RobbW said:
jray3 said:
;-p
Not quite sure I follow. How would I add any excitement? Were you expecting I'd rack up massive electric bills with the Meepster? Did I give the impression that I would be driving the i-MiEV like a bat out of h3ll?

Just a failed attempt at humor. :oops:
I think your meter readings are another great demonstration that EVs make your fuel bill just plain go away. It takes high-grade measurement to even be able to notice the impact on one's electric bill.
I've been doing this with an old glass dome utility meter for the past year, but am charging two cars and don't have sufficient logging to divvy up the cost or total the kwh consumed at home plus from public charging stations to get Wh/mile stats. So, I've got one of Olagon's TED 5000 meters on the way. :ugeek:

jray3 said:
So, I've got one of Olagon's TED 5000 meters on the way. :ugeek:
Holy cow! You're hard core! After three months of not seeing any discernible rise in my monthly electric costs, I've decided to just call it a day and proclaim my Meepster basically energy neutral. If I get any type of meter, I will only be feeding my OCD tendencies. I need to save that for other hobbies of mine!

At the Dallas "National Plug-In Day", I taped a sign onto the windshield (windscreen) proudly proclaiming "4098 Oil-Free Miles Traveled". That's in 9 months time. My commute is very short. :lol:

Congratulations Sandage. If you have records, could you report what your typical range remaining was after a full charge to 16 bars at 10,000 miles, 20,000 miles, and 30,000 miles?

sandange said:
16 Months Later
Now up to 49,080 km
30,497 miles

And still ticking :lol:
That's awesome! You are a full 10,000 miles ahead of where I was at 16 months. How are you accumulating so many miles? Do you charge twice a day? At your rate you will reach 100,000 miles in a little over 37 months from now or right about the end of 2016!

Sorry Bill - did not keep records for RR gauge ,
Take note that we live at the top of a hill and carry a trailer hitch as extra weight.

But from memory - after overnight level 2 full charge I usually have 100 -120km in the morning

At the beginning we used to have a little higher reading - but we do not baby the go pedal any more as we did then.
About 4 months ago, Angelika ( my wife ) took it on a long ride to a golf course and babied it charge it there level1 and had 160 km on the RR

We have been a 1 car and 1 motorcycle couple living in Canada where motorcycling weather for us starts in May & ends late Sept.
Until recently where we replaced the motorcycle with a eclipse convertible and plan to only drive it fro recreation as we did the Motorcycle/ or emergencies.

So basically we share 1 car - the Miev so
If I want the car and I almost always do
I have to drive my wife to the train station and then pick here up at night
A double daily commute.

Besides that 3 of our kids live at the three different extremities of the city ranging 75- 90 km from us
Two of them have 240v opportunity charging when we visit.

14 months - 28.945 joyful kms

p.s.
I didn't notice any range or battery capacity drop so far. Sure I never saw 170+ km RR after ful charging since I live higher then ordinary roads. My best distance was 175 km - with no altitude drop.

Back